Jim Griffin's JX92S designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a second order network composed of a series inductor and a parallel capacitor in the JX92S path. These components contour the JX92S's response and execute the crossover to the ribbon tweeter (Aurum Cantus G2si).

was wanting to keep the jordans crossover free, for me it kind of defeats the point of a full range driver- but I understand that a ribbon should improve the top and and the off axis response.Is there any way of doing both, ie keeping the jordan crossover free and adding the tweeter albiet in a subtle way

Is there any way of doing both, ie keeping the jordan crossover free and adding the tweeter albiet in a subtle way

No way. Jim's crossover is at 3k. If you bring it in at 10k, 12k, etc. you get overlap between tweeter and Jordan because the Jordan goes up so high.

If the Jordans i had were indicative, rolling off the top end is a good idea, i found the top end kinda rough (to the point of annoying, hence my passing them on).

dave

Dave, do you mean it was annoying even when you were well off-axis? Are you saying you'd roll them off even without a tweeter? Thanks in advance!

Bill,

You have a homework assignment. The Jordan JX92S with a ribbon crossover is covered in my two long threads on the DIYAudio forum on either my mini-monitor or MLTL designs.

The Jordan with a ribbon design is a very synergistic solution. The ribbon tweeter is a significantly better tweeter than the JX92S is above 3000 Hz. Furthermore, why would you want the smearing that would result from having the Jordan and the ribbon both playing over the tweeter range? Bottom line is that the ribbon tweeter works best as a tweeter vs. used as a super tweeter.

Ribbons don't like first order crossovers because of power handling issues. So higher order crossing suits them much better.
Jim

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
do you mean it was annoying even when you were well off-axis? Are you saying you'd roll them off even without a tweeter?

I got 400-500 hours on them and listened to them every which way. I couldn't live with them FR. They might well make an excellent midbass (but probably not as good as the JX150). Note that the ones i had were from the 1st batch made in China after Mark Fenlon's involvement ceased. From the many comments on them, i'm going to speculate that the earlier VIFA made ones were better. And the later Chinese batches may be too.

dave

I got 400-500 hours on them and listened to them every which way. I couldn't live with them FR. They might well make an excellent midbass (but probably not as good as the JX150). Note that the ones i had were from the 1st batch made in China after Mark Fenlon's involvement ceased. From the many comments on them, i'm going to speculate that the earlier VIFA made ones were better. And the later Chinese batches may be too.

dave

Hi Dave, thank you for that. Mine came from the group buy [edit: I think!] (second hand from forum member boudy). Yours are also from the group buy, probably? Although they are not soft on top, they are spectacularly clear and there's so much bass. Maybe I will try Jim's Aurum Cantus ribbon after all! (Thanks to you too, Jim.)

Last edited:
Bill,

You have a homework assignment. The Jordan JX92S with a ribbon crossover is covered in my two long threads on the DIYAudio forum on either my mini-monitor or MLTL designs.

The Jordan with a ribbon design is a very synergistic solution. The ribbon tweeter is a significantly better tweeter than the JX92S is above 3000 Hz. Furthermore, why would you want the smearing that would result from having the Jordan and the ribbon both playing over the tweeter range? Bottom line is that the ribbon tweeter works best as a tweeter vs. used as a super tweeter.

Ribbons don't like first order crossovers because of power handling issues. So higher order crossing suits them much better.
Jim

I built both Jim's minimonitor and GM's 48" MLTL. Good as they were just using the JX92S, they were transformed by a ribbon - in my case the Fountek JP3. After trying several xovers Jim's 3k design worked best.

Yes. I would not call the top clear... there was something up there that affected me much as someone running their fingernails down a blackboard.

dave

Pretty damning (unless it was just a bad example).
Thanks Jim for putting me right about the top end/super tweeter idea. I just thought it might be a possibility and wanted to ask. And I guess you are also saying the same thing as planet 10, the top end is rough

Last edited:
Let's not "damn" a driver without hearing it, though. Dave (planet10) would be the first to emphasize the Y in DIY :)

This driver is a special-purpose precision device. Personally, I'm delighted with it, but I don't doubt Dave's experience at all. There's a lot of latitude for personal preference, room dimensions, decay time, cab, source, musical styles etc.

Not everybody is equally impressed by Feastrex (or Fostex for that matter). Or Lowther. Why should the Jordan's have to please everyone? They please whoever likes them, just like any other driver :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well said... the fellow who ended up with mine likes them just fine. He by the way has promised to compare them to the CHR70eN he got (originally) for surround duty.

I for instance, in the limited time i had them, couldn't get the 1 set of "cheap" Feastrex field coils i had thru to sound as good as a set of FE127eN Fonken. I did decide that to keep cool they should be OB.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.