JG´s Nobrainer and Nobrainer Discrete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I think he wrote DCB1. Not many buffers sound so well with only 2 JFETs per channel. I have one myself and till now no opamp based preamp was a match for it.

Indeed I use the DCB1 powered with two very special shunts. It conveys a really wide soundstage with really stunning insight regarding microdetail.

Much better than my previous pedja buffer that in itself was already superior to my initial LM4562 preamp.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It is an excellent device bringing back the art to electronics. If I were a designer I would wish I would have designed it ;) Till now the very few negative comments I read were based on breadboarded copies of the original B1 circuit.

If DCB1 (aka Mezmerize) is written the design is meant as sold here on Diyaudio. A hard to beat design.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member

After reading this presentation I got the idea that one can search for an optimum bias for a push pull buffer so I decided to play a bit with the bias and increased it slightly from 130 to 180mA.

Measurements showed a real improvement... squares look like squares until 50kHz and faze shift is also greatly reduced in both extremes.

The major improvement is in bandwidth that now extends to 580khz at -3dB and starts at 1.4Hz at -3dB.

I could not believe in my measurements so I repeated them several times with consistent results.

Quite dazzled I connected the amp to my main system and now it sings !!!

Treble is now really extended and clear. Image grew a lot laterally as well as in depth. Bass is perfectly integrated, going low with very good control.

Voices are true and cymbals have real slam.

The amp is really quiet and I find the 19dB gain adequate in my system.

I plotted my measurements that I post here hoping for some edificant comments.

PS: I now consider this amp very good and the only drawbacks I can find are related with the opamp input .... maybe it is possible to use a suitable discrete jfet input ?

Attachments

• 180mA bias.png
    180mA bias.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 183
You can destroy your soundcard.
I would make a 100 Ohm voltage devider so 90 Ohm in series with 10 Ohm.
From the 10 Ohm resistor ( plus ground ) it goes into the soundcard.
Bob Cordell said that 100 Ohm is a tough load for a poweramp so you will see a bit more distortion then it would have, say into 8 Ohm.
This is a bit counter intuitive i know. Usually a lighter load gives less distortion.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
That is really fast and the rolloff is very smooth. Good work.
You could try a Fet Opamp like the Opa1641.

Thank you, I will try that but I believe it will not cure the slight lack of speed in the transients that impairs ultimate fluidity and clarity.

Between fast changing notes in the trumpet there is a sense of silence where there should be some decay.

It is a very distinct feature of opamps IMO. I would like to try a simple discrete input ans VAS stage.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I like this one :
Tube buffer
It is simple and does not need much HV.
This liquidity and decay you desire comes from a harmonic distortion profile i think.
Actually a tube stage does not sound distorted subjectively.

You mean a tube buffer as preamp ?

This buffer can not replace the opamp... no gain.

I do not know if it is distortion I am lacking but I believe not. I built several opamp preamps and also some discrete ones both bjt and fet with and without coupling caps. the best sounding (more open and detailed) are the discrete ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.