JG´s Nobrainer and Nobrainer Discrete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, i use bipolars all the time.
In power supplies they may have a disadvantage because they have more losses.
Whereas a good 1000uF low ESR elcap may have less then 10mOhm at 100kHz a comparable bipolar may have 100mOhm.
On the other hand a bipolar has less distortion so in the signal path it has an advantage over polar.
By the way a true bipolar has even less distortion then a " fake " back to back electrolytic.
See Bateman.

Yes I do know about these facts, but non of the sources (concerning polar bipolar) explains how DC-offset across the capacitor influences its behavior. Also there is no data on long term stability of this behavior. So the polarized input capacitors (schema above) still have my attention.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
So this discussion leads me to believe bipolar caps are different from two polar caps connected by it's minus (or plus) ends.... If we need a polarizing voltage in the polar caps in order to keep it's dielectric strength, then bipolar caps would also need it if they where built the same way.... This would lead us to three legged bipolar caps where the center tap would carry a polarizing voltage.... there is certainly a big difference in construction techniques so we can never mimmick a bipolar with two polar caps :)

What tutorial (is it a kind of easter-eg :)). Happy new year for all.

For the amplifier I am testing something like this, what do you think of this?

I'm dropping this idea, after checking 'Bateman' (again :)) and Skype-ing with Joachim and after doing more simulations (where I can not create a 'plop-free' version) it is SCRAP! No 'forced-polar-electrolytic-capacitor-with-active-offset-generator' or FPECWAOG-technology for me.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hehe.....cool nevertheless

Now I have another question..... I am using LM317 337 regs to power the opamp at 17v.... as the psu line will settle at 35v, I get a vdrop of 18v

What current should the opamp be drawing ? I am afraid I did not care about heatsinking the regs.... how noob can this be ?

Hehe.....cool nevertheless

Now I have another question..... I am using LM317 337 regs to power the opamp at 17v.... as the psu line will settle at 35v, I get a vdrop of 18v

What current should the opamp be drawing ? I am afraid I did not care about heatsinking the regs.... how noob can this be ?

One op-amp is 5mA (with safety 10mA) I x U = .01 * 18 = 180mW

Now check this out Thermal resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The verdickt :) it will work :xfingers:

Fine.
I found this but i do not think that it is of relevance :
Charge Coupled Crossovers Article By Jeff Poth
No measurements, no prove, nothing.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0911/charge_coupled_crossovers.htm said:
So, that's it. I've found charge-coupling to dramatically improve the sound of inexpensive capacitors, and it's not very difficult or expensive to implement, so I can firmly recommend charge-coupling as a tweak for our people who know which end of a soldering iron is hot. Depending on the speaker and system it may require relocating crossovers outboard, but that's on a case-by-case basis. There are significant improvements in clarity, imaging, and listenability to be had, get to it kiddies!

Do I need to re-open my investigation into this :)

I do not think so. I try to avoid caps in the signal path anyway, especially elcaps.
Sometimes they are necesarry when you build single ended or you want to avoid a servo.
Also in my system i have at least one cap for safety. Actually i use it to roll off my main baffles in the bass so the cap serves a double purpose.
On the other hand there is the Self Precision Preamp. I can not remember exactly but from phono MC in to line out i counted around 14 elcaps, direct or indirect ( feedback DC blocker ) in the signal path. Measurements on static distortion and noise are still great though.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.