JC-50 3 ways by Jaycar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Dome mid would indeed need a steeper slope crossed lower, I've only tried that with the electronic XO which is fixed 4th order but OK with 400 using that [ 400 being the lowest point with the CX unit] still it's a surprisingly hard driver to work with.
If you are still having trouble I have the carbon fibre version of that woofer here and would be willing to loan it to you for a short period but in really needs crossing lower than 300

The Re is close enough to spec. I don't think the woofer is up to the job especially after looking at the Paradigm 11 details.

If it was me, I'd be selling them on eBay as I think you will never find them satisfactory.

Get those from Steve at Eastwood Hi Fi I bet.

Yes,
I really can't bring myself to throw them out! But they aren't going to be used the way they are. I could advertise them locally I guess.
Yes, the Paradigms came from Eastwood Hi-Fi. Good price too. The Heritage Cherry was cheaper than the Black Ash which worked out okay because they matched the furniture. Happy wife - Happy life!:) I nearly bought them locally but saved $1,100 off the RRP and that included the delivery cost. I offered for the local guy to give me a more realistic price but he wouldn't budge. I bought a pair of Bowers & Wilkins bookshelves from him - got ripped off I think.:mad: Okay for Jazz but not too good for orchestral sounds. It sounds like the violins - i.e. the mids are in a tunnel. But again it's all a matter of taste. I think the Paradigms are the best speakers I've had but again, others might not like them. There's no doubt about it though; speaker design would have to be one of the most difficult tasks ever tackled!
Talbit

I just run a sim in LTspice on the woofer L1 C1 response. It seems to give the best response at 8ohm but the crossover is around 350Hz. It looks like the woofer has to be 8ohm at 350Hz because if it rises to 16ohm you get a +4dB hump in a broad part of that midrange area which will make bass sound light. If the impedance is lower, say 4ohm then the LR response dominates with a sagging -6dB/octave response and it would lose bass overtones but not the fundamentals.

Gentlemen,
Well I think I've got it. Not sure exactly what the solution was but I did three things...
1: Inserted the 2R2 resistor in between the input and C5. This cut down the harsh mid especially for strings. The brass still comes through very nicely.
2: Resealed the woofers with "Closed cell polymer foam" used for sealing windows and door frames. I originally had blue-tac but I'm pretty sure the seal was okay - but maybe it wasn't.
3: Re-located the speakers into a different room. I had them in a carpeted/concrete room, where the Paradigms now are. This new room has timber laid on concrete. I'm wondering if the ports, which are close to the floor, are too close to the carpeted floor and they are more suitable for the harder surface. I have them elevated on 3-4mm felt pads.

I am using a different amplifier with the Paradigms but I tried to see if it was the cause at the start and decided that both amps were performing okay and that they weren't part of the problem.

The Paradigms are of a completely different construction so to compare the way they work would be unfair just to note that the ports are higher off the ground and that they face to the rear.

There's certainly plenty of bass with the JC-50's now. They rattle my fillings which is a good test!
I could go back and forth trying to figure out the real initial problem but I've had enough for now.

I'm happy so I'll let it go. But I'll take note of anything other posters want to say.

Now I've got to do something about the new $900 Bowers and Wilkins I just bought! Pretty sad in comparison.

Once again thanks for all the great assistance.

Talbit
ps I was working on only one speaker. It wasn't until I did them both and listened under real conditions that I decided that I had achieved a result.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.