• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ISO a motorboat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
2 separate PSU´s for small signal and output......

Make it one PSU instead, that way you can get same performance with less parts and eliminate the loops....

Thats how I had it b4 starting to investigate boating/grounding. You might be right but my bucks are on the feedback as gangsta.

50/100 Hz is totally cancelled at both configs. DEAD silent in 99 dB speakers. Except for boating.

Dude, tell me how to measure phase instead. I think the the Johnny-sidesailor is closer to that.

Last edited:
The simple test is to put an input signal in and measure the output. Then disconnect the feedback resistor from the opt tap and measure the signal again. If the output decreases in amplitude you have positive feedback ( ti gets bigger when feedback is attached).

The solution is to swap the drive from your phase inverter output to the output tube grids.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
In that case the cable colours are completely mixed up.

:gnasher:<<<:wrench:..thats what happens when you assume things...A bit like have you got discharge resistors on the power supply so you don't get fried..

I also think you need to look at the mounting bolts on the power Tx before it burns out..At least try putting some fibre washers under the screw heads.
This isn't to isolate the power Tx from earth you must Earth the Tx but not create a shorted turn..the stand offs are ok..

Cut a slot across (pic) all the holes that you have used to take the TX cables through the chassis and put some grommets or sleeving over the cables.

Hopfully you can get the op phasing right..at least then you will have a starting point..:)

Watching with interest..:xfingers:

Regards
M. Gregg

Attachments

• Slots.PNG
    Slots.PNG
    23.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I have the hat type nylon washers for the transformer just measure the hole diam.

Nonmagnetic bolts are another good thing when dealing with transformers.

I agree on the feed and return cable nicely twisted through same hole aproach.

I have a wife enforced clearance sale here all prices are non negotiable (free) and absolutely no returns (if you dare try :headshot:) so a plasticbag full of the workbench leftovers is for pickup (CC resistors,PIO caps 8x10mF axial caps and a lot of other more modern stuff which i denie all knowledge of :D.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks guys. Atm, if I remember correctly, I have a toothed washer under one of the legs, which also serves as chassie ground connection from PSU star and yellow/green earth. The other ones is just bolts with regular or no washers if I remember correctly.

I wil decide if I keep this way to large Tx or just mount a smaller one. I think I have something.

I was actually att a very well sorted bolt dealer the other day, thinking to buy nylon bolts for this kind of mounting (for a pair of chokes that was). One M4 12 mm had the price of more then I bought the pair of 130 H chokes for:D

So isolate 3 legs and keep one with toothed washer, is that ok. Plus the wire adjustments?

Best regards
Staffan

Joined 2011
Paid Member
A little report on the work then.

I Think I have figured out the taps now.

Ch 1:
Cotton Yellow: Gnd
Plastic Orange: 8 ohm
Cotton Black: 16 ohm

Ch 2:
Plastic Yellow: Gnd
Cotton Yellow: 8 ohm
Cotton Black: 16 ohm

All outputs in phase with input and 16 ohm taps give double sine then 8 ohms.

Then I applied FB again, moved it from Gnd to 16 ohm taps. Outputs now very much lower but still in phase. 1 k resistors in again.

So phasewise I think Im home. Plugging it to the listeningstuff its silent again but alot lower output. I can max volume and its just above relax volume. Hardy 11 watt on my 98-99 dB speakers. And I have a small boating again. Smaller then before but there on both channels.

Powersupply rebuild :D.

One powersupply with a nice busbar layout and if it isn´t quite enough put in a 3 leg reg before gainstage.

The powertubes are matched good enough ? just asking....

Do you have the right values in the feedback loop ?

The low output could indicate it´s a 0-4-8 secondary ??

It´s an challenging amp ;).

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Powersupply rebuild :D.

One powersupply with a nice busbar layout and if it isn´t quite enough put in a 3 leg reg before gainstage..

Yea it could have a lookover. I hardly think that has anything to do with the gain though.

The powertubes are matched good enough ? just asking.....

Yea. Good matched.

Do you have the right values in the feedback loop ?.

I have a 1 k, but I will need to measure what the splitter delivers to the output tubes. I think it shall be around 10-12 volts if all is correct with a decent input VRMS.

The low output could indicate it´s a 0-4-8 secondary ??.

Mmm, maybe. Those should be from SCA-35 but you never know. As far as I know only some modern replicas have had 4-8 ohm taps. I measured them, one in Circuit and one over only windings and got 9-11 mH. I dug up a pair of Edcors 8000 to 4 ohms same size with 7,5 H and one pair 8000 to 8 ohms with 14,5 H.

Next step was much bigger, around 60 mH between 8 and 16 ohms, and 140-160 mH 0 to 16 ohms. Which doesnt really makes sense to me but thats about what the LCR tells me. I have nothing in the size to compare with though.

It´s an challenging amp ;).
Yea. The funnier:cool:. I have to go over the circuit again but my back is killing me today.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.