Is TRIPATH Class "T" Outdated Performance - Or Not?

Compared a diy Tripath TA2022 to the Audiophonics HPA S400ET Purifi amplifier. They are simular in sound, very detailed, tight grip on the bass, no outright big differences. To me without level checking, I would not like to guess.

However, the Tripath seemed to be able to play louder without distorting and a slightly more realistic sound seemed to be produced. As it was no proper ABX, my mind could have played tricks with me.
Kingpin built another Tripath amplifier for me and that one is even better than the first. It is detailed, extremely distortion free, able to play louder without harshness and seems to have even more bass than the Audiophonics Purifi amplifier.

Kingpin paid a great deal of attention to the power supply including filtering and it pays off! It is noticable both on low volume and playing loud. To be honest, the Audiophonics amplifier has developed a nasty hum, when I moved it to the attic, so for a final comparison I have to wait for diagnosis and repair.

The main problem was the RCA-XLR conversion which the Anthem I225 did perfectly without hum and introduced a hum in the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET. It seems ground loops are more difficult to avoid in their design.

Is the Tripath outdated? No, if correctly implemented it is top notch amplification.

yes...human hearing is far more complex and sensitive than all the tests you can possibly run...Sad that some people can't trust their own senses.
It's actually completely reasonable not to trust your hearing too much. It is famously short-memoried and subject to a variety of effects, including in my opinion the weather. So if we're talking about "I like my high distortion tube amp" or whatever, hey, ENJOY, that's the point! If we're talking about judging products, nah, listening is not enough, it is in some ways INsensitive and fallible.

The sensitive story, as I've noted elsewhere in lengthier form: had a spate of customers complaining about hearing beeping in the CD changers. In CARS. Which turned out to be measurable: crosstalk from a data line physically bleeding into an audio line. At -105 dB from digital 0!!! Which most people were of course NOT at maximum volume. Did I mention this is in noisy AUTOMOBILES?!? Oh, rerouting to wires to reduce the noise another 6 dB did not help.

For the ones who want to build this ... look out how to connect the XLR wiring they displayed it wrong on their site !!!
I informed Audiophonics about this and they changed it only for the one with the included transformer.
The one without the included transformer the XLR connection is right.
Be aware if you want to use XLR ... they are out of phase (+ / -) on one XLR connector.

Kingpin do you have more information of your build.
Looks very promising

Test bench measurements are pretty numbers, but tell the human ear very little with respect to subjective experience. Any single-ended tube amp will show horrendous distortion numbers (1 - 5% THD) on a bench...yet can sound much cleaner and realistic than a "silver face" 1970's Japanese receiver that has 40 dB of negative feedback to obtain a 0.001% distortion rating.

Human hearing responds to amplifier characteristics in ways that are far more complex than neuroscience can even understand today. Measurements SOMETIMES correlate, but more often do not. Go back to that 2% THD of the tube amp...it should sound HORRIBLE from the measurements. But does it?

So far as getting used to a particular amplifier sound, and not recognizing an improvement - based upon what criteria? A measurement? Listening is a subjective experience - if something sounds more realistic to the listener...that is the final arbiter. After 50 years in the audiophile hobby, I can still distinctly hear differences in amplifiers when playing the same source material. I just compared three amplifiers this morning, one of them a Tripath 2020 based, home-built unit. Each amplifier did certain things well, and each did other things not so well. It depended a lot upon source material. The one that gets the overall best score is the one that is usually hooked up.

It's not the Tripath, BTW!
Unless you did ABX testing, your choice will be influenced by your preconcieved opinions.

Very interesting thread for me as I always intended to try this technology and was on the point of ordering a 41hZ amp 3 but a health issue and bad reaction to meds. got in the way.

The Audiophonics TA2022 V4 looks good. Without the technical ability that so many have on this thread what power supply should I look for. I've always understood the power supply is the first step toward getting the best from any type of amp and is it a good idea to have the PSU in a separate enclosure joined by a well shielded umbilical?

If the amp's power supply is regulated (normally this sounds better) then you'll want the regulator to be close to the amp. So an umbilical with connectors would be a step backwards if the regulator's at the far end of the cable. But if the regulator's next to the amp, the cable would be a good thing I think to increase isolation from mains and the transformer.

Very interesting thread for me as I always intended to try this technology and was on the point of ordering a 41hZ amp 3 but a health issue and bad reaction to meds. got in the way.

Years ago when one still had a 50% chance of buying an even then Extinct Tripath chip. I sent $$ to 41hz on the promise of receiving 'Guaranteed genuine' tripath chips.
What I eventually received was Clone garbage.. barely even resembling a Genuine Tripath chip.. It was that Poorly made.
Fact they wouldn't even power up.. was no surprise. Never received ANY response reply from 41hz..
Feeling lucky or just stoopid?

Wow, smart audio people! What a pleasure - just registered after reading several posts about Class T and Tripath. I'm an MSEE specializing in controls so only know a little about audio amps. Bought a Panasonic CQ-C8803U CD car stereo in 2006 for my 1998 Ford Windstar. At same time bought Infinity Kappa 2-ohm speakers X 4, not knowing how the whole thing would work out. SURPRISE (very pleasant). Best audio I ever heard in any system or setting. So I started investigation.
The CQ-C8803U incorporated a Tripath Class T (35W X 4 RMS) in a single-DIN package with OLED display. It has an outboard switching power supply to boost the 12V to 30V for greater useful range and less heat. This was about the last car stereo Panasonic made. Then came the other surprise - the Infinity Kappa used a neodymium magnet on the woofer. With a 100w rating, each speaker weighed less than 2 lbs.
The deepest, clearest bass I ever heard - down to 40HZ with all the harmonics emanating from the same physical location.
Also, the CQ-C8803U incorporated SRS (absorbed by DTS) surround sound. I stumbled into the greatest sounding car system ever.
But Panasonic stopped making car stereos and Infinity quit (had to) using neodymium bass speakers and my CQ-C8803U CD player just crapped out after 15 years of heavy use. The speakers are still great but the CQ-C8803U won't play CDs.
Question: Does anyone know of a single-DIN head unit with Class T or late-technology clean Class D - CD or USB? Some Sony's have class D but none are available. Is there a 12 volt USB player with RCA out that I can connect to the CQ-C8803U AUX input?
Ideas?

I own many amps, including Hypex Ncore, Purifi and high end TPA325X amps...
Of all the amps I've tested, the Satisfaction A2 is the one that gives me the most pleasure. It is very detailed while keeping the grain of a class AB amp. It has a very pleasant, airy sound and a certain balance across the spectrum. It is a dual tripath (understand dual Mono therefore, one Tripath chip per channel), very powerful and with the possibility of updating the op amps for the preamp and power amp section.

With the OPA2210, it is a jewel ! Great soundstage, very detailed and so "warm." I prefer it to my Purifi whose measurements don't lie...

The amp comes in a solid and very well designed aluminum case, with a linear power supply, a quad motorized volume controller and a remote control. It is fully balanced with an excellent quality preamp and the ability to juggle OP amps.
Really if you have the opportunity to get your hands on it, you will take a big slap!

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Measurable performance wise, the higher performance Tripath chips are still in first class, in comparison with those open-loop high-noise high-THD high-output-impedance peaky boom box chips such as the lower range from companies like TI, ST, etc. The failure of Tripath as a company wasn't due to the technology being overvalued with respect to other technologies (but maybe due to the inability of the company to size itself properly).
Has any chip maker yet perfectly cloned the TA2020 chip? If yes, has anyone yet built a high res great sounding power amp using it? I shouldn't need more than 10 watts wpc, if that much, to drive my 94 db speakers. Impedance between 7 and 8 ohms and the mains only play down to 70Hz, below which my power subs take over. Room is moderately dead, 20 ft x 14 (11 ft to 8 ft ceiling). And I doubt I'd be playing the mains above 75 to 80 db at ~ 11 ft

Joined 2012
Paid Member
IMO, the 3116/3118 chips (properly implemented) are very natural sounding, and I say this as a fan of tube amplification. I also use a Tripath 2020 (on a secondary system) and I agree with another member that the overall sound is very similar to the 3116/3118 chips. If any of these were "cold", "clinical", "sterile" they would be in my junk box.

Note: I tried a cheap Chinese implementation of the 3116 and hated it. Then I tried a locally designed 3118 board (The Wiener, by member GMarsh et. al.) and it blew me away. It is now my main amp for use when the weather is simply too hot for tubes - and truth be told I could easily live with it year round.
Thanks for this info. Are there any distortion and frequency response measurements on that 3118 board?

I happen to have TA2021B https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...274432_1.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2pF2_ltig-KKYCIgQa52BS, actually four modules built as close to app notes, bought several years ago for a multi-amp/active XO project yet to implement. With regulated but linear psu I never managed to push them higher then a couple of watts. That is with a 150VA transformer. They are really power hungry. Some day I hope to try a proper SMPS because I think this would be the only sensible approach. Attached is a FFT at low power output. Compared with modern classD, there is a lot of hass but then a few classD graphs I've seen present a noise floor at -100dB, perhaps deliberately shaped? If we mentally draw a line at -100bD in the graph I post, then things get interesting but can speakers and ears draw this line?

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 80
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Very tragic about the death of the Tripathi TA2020 chip. https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/87302/TRIPATH/TA2020-020.html Worse is that similar chips mentioned here, which might even measure and sounded even better, are apparently also permanently out of production.

I never had the advanced math after as an undergrad to pursue engineering school. I was a top analog and digital tech school grad a very long time and another career ago, so DIYing any audio hardware is not possible, at least not from scratch. No time for that anyway with my day job.

Thus, I'd be looking to compare these chip amps to proven pre-built amps on the higher end audiophile market. But as I also want a lower power amp that measures as well as sounds great, that pretty much limits things to solid state amps. I'd love to know how those chip amps would sound compared those like this. https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-media-systems-ahb2-power-amplifier-measurements and https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-c-298-power-amplifier-measurements

How might they all have sounded like above 70Hz at 8 ohms over my ~94 db speakers, which would never more than 12 wpc, if that much?

Perhaps the right low power, low distortion solid state Class A amp? Assuming I could find one to properly match my speakers, they'd no doubt make equally good space heaters, not that we're likely to have many more cold winters in my region.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Based on my listening experience, the latest and greatest certainly isn't the TPA3116, that's long past its prime unless you really can't afford more than single digit $$. TDA8932 has much better bass and if you modify the standard application with an extra cap on the analog signal rail it has better HF too. TPA325X is definitely worth a listen, as is TPA322X. I've not heard any of the Hypex modules so can't give comparisons with the chips I've mentioned.

IMO, the 3116/3118 chips (properly implemented) are very natural sounding, and I say this as a fan of tube amplification. I also use a Tripath 2020 (on a secondary system) and I agree with another member that the overall sound is very similar to the 3116/3118 chips. If any of these were "cold", "clinical", "sterile" they would be in my junk box.

Note: I tried a cheap Chinese implementation of the 3116 and hated it. Then I tried a locally designed 3118 board (The Wiener, by member GMarsh et. al.) and it blew me away. It is now my main amp for use when the weather is simply too hot for tubes - and truth be told I could easily live with it year round.
Hoping members who posted # 9 #11 ,# 34, #47 and #50 can help me decide on the right chip for my speakers. They are 3-way, at least 93 db and 7 to 8 ohms. They only play down to 70Hz, below which my powered subs takeover. So, presumably, I don't need a chip that does low bass; better that it delivers exceptional midrange and HF clarity, soundstage size and imaging.

Hate the fact that the original Tripathi chip is gone, but what chip today is closest to delivering the TA2020 magic?