Is this a real TDA1541A?

My collection

You can compare the crown design.

Attachments

• 82FDD809-94E1-4E31-8B13-C1BA124F7BD3.jpg
    82FDD809-94E1-4E31-8B13-C1BA124F7BD3.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 366
Here's mine ... what do you think ... legit or "fake"?

tda1541a--s2.jpg

Some more info on the above chip.

I purchased it in roughly Sept. 2007 from an eBay seller in Thailand. The sale was private, however (off ebay).
The cost of that single double crown chip was $98.00 USD. I also bought (with same order) a regular (no crown 1541A) from same seller for about $19.

Image below of some devices from my collection..

tda1541a--.jpg

About sound of the double crown 1541A shown above. I noticed an improvement over the plain TDA1541 in my Magnavox CDB650. No noise, no overheating-- I was satisfied. Didn't take any measurements, though. Nor did I do any extensive back-and-forth chip swaps.
Over the years it has been plugged into many projects. It continues to perform well and is reliable -- even with daily power cycling. That said, I am careful in my project construction -- double-checking voltages, etc. And the PSU -- by design -- is always clean and well-regulated. Typical DIY, rigor ... right?!

Cast your vote for the following double-crown ... genuine or fake:

666pwm.promo_.jpg

That chip is probably a real Taiwanese chip totally reprinted with a disappointing mash up of aspects of early Dutch markings and later stylistics. This is a nice example of imaginative forgery. Id give it a high distinction for creativity but fail it on poor research and clumsy printing.

Last edited:
Some more info on the above chip.

I purchased it in roughly Sept. 2007 from an eBay seller in Thailand. The sale was private, however (off ebay).
The cost of that single double crown chip was $98.00 USD. I also bought (with same order) a regular (no crown 1541A) from same seller for about $19.

Image below of some devices from my collection..

tda1541a--.jpg

About sound of the double crown 1541A shown above. I noticed an improvement over the plain TDA1541 in my Magnavox CDB650. No noise, no overheating-- I was satisfied. Didn't take any measurements, though. Nor did I do any extensive back-and-forth chip swaps.
Over the years it has been plugged into many projects. It continues to perform well and is reliable -- even with daily power cycling. That said, I am careful in my project construction -- double-checking voltages, etc. And the PSU -- by design -- is always clean and well-regulated. Typical DIY, rigor ... right?!

As long a you like the sound of your S2 that's all that matters right?

The marking on your S2 are compatible with a genuine chip but as most chips with that mark are fakes the chance you got a genuine one from a private Asian seller is rather low. Measure it and you will know.

Of your other chips the top is one of the early pathetic forgeries.

Any other reasons you think it's fake?

From Google I can see that there isn't necessarily a standard shape of crown for S1 chips - and this includes chips already installed in older equipment.

I can only say that it sounds better than my R1.

Anyone else care to weigh in too?

Looks like it is not an obvious forgery to me but Im no expert.

This is obviously fake
1PCS-Dual-16-bit-DAC-IC-PHILIPS-DIP-28Crown-TDA1541AS1.jpg

Last edited:
With all due respect ....

That chip is probably a real Taiwanese chip totally reprinted with a disappointing mash up of aspects of early Dutch markings and later stylistics. This is a nice example of imaginative forgery. Id give it a high distinction for creativity but fail it on poor research and clumsy printing.
Dear kazap:
You see fraud and conspiracy everywhere -- I believe you absolutely don't know what you're talking about!!!

The image I posted is URL'd from Stereophile.com.
PDM, PWM, Delta-Sigma, 1-Bit DACs | Stereophile.com
They took that photo from what I believe was a Naim CD player.

Also check out Jean-Paul's comments (re: Taiwan chips) here.

If you do a Google image search for "TDA1541A Marantz CD-94" or search with any any other player of that vintage that used the 1541A crown chip, you'll come up with all types of "chip graphics". The odds of the OEM (in situ) devices being fakes are astronomically low.

Please refrain from promoting the "Asian fakes" agenda!
It's unrealistic and counterproductive.

Taiwan TDA1541A ("HSH", 2004)

tda1541a--.jpg

Of your other chips the top is one of the early pathetic forgeries.
I just compared that "pathetic" chip against a non-A TDA1541 that was sock in my Magnavox CDB473 (1987 model)
681871d1526834085-tda1541-s1-vs-tda1541a-tda1541-cdb473-jpg

They both sound v. good, but the "pathetic" TDA1541A wins by a slight margin, having less bright sonics, and more-focused sound.
The non-A chip might be just a hint more punchy -- or its inherent brightness may be giving this illusion.

The Taiwan TDA1541A ("HSH", 2004) chip runs mildly warm with no audible noise whatsoever. Maybe I'll 'scope it someday ...
See this post for some addit. info:
TDA1541 S1 vs TDA1541A

Last edited: