Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

While not asked, the sharp edges would cause significant diffraction, which would be offensive to my ears.

I do think though that someone could get used to it and hear beyond it and make great recordings. But I certainly agree with Floyd, that this is not the right way to go about things.

In my system, which is highly thought of by many, I went to extremes to eliminate nearby (to the speakers) diffraction objects. To me this is critical in a playback system.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes.
Levels at the throat could reach more than 130dB at 20Hz, above the level that your mic can handle without gross distortion.
why does the above measurements say 73db at ~20hz and the distortion looks to be about how they should, nearing xmax ~7%, meaning, virtually, limitation, thus no need to increase signal....

Atleast in my horn, I reach higher 2nd order distortion well before reaching max spl capability of the mic?

are you referring to 130db in some other way? I do notice that the headroom is low even though the readings are very modest... I thought that strange

you find 36cm as a 'wide baffle'? 😱

At least it's wider than the average 2 way loudspeaker these days.

Now also available with... (I kid you not) Field Coil tweet and woof 😎 (there's some acoustic guitar after the hiphop).

DSC_0275.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
"Avalon" style faceted baffles being a practical way to do it.

Funny you mention Avalon.
As a student I once had the opportunity to listen to a €250.000 Avalon + Spectral set, alone for about 1.5 hours.
Although I found the rendering too sterile/clinical - probably due to the ceramic drivers, I was confronted with 'an inky black background' for the first time (due to the absence of audible noise).
Since then, minimizing noise has been an important factor in audio for me

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
why does the above measurements say 73db at ~20hz and the distortion looks to be about how they should, nearing xmax ~7%, meaning, virtually, limitation, thus no need to increase signal....

Atleast in my horn, I reach higher 2nd order distortion well before reaching max spl capability of the mic?

are you referring to 130db in some other way? I do notice that the headroom is low even though the readings are very modest... I thought that strange
Camplo,

With the mic on a plane wave tube, at what I assume would be a 2.83V drive level, Celestion posts a graph with the Axi2050 driver output of 130dB SPL at 20Hz, rising to 140dB 200Hz-2kHz, falling to 120dB at 20kHz.
This would indicate the potential for 130dB at 20Hz, depending on mic placement and termination.

On the Seas30 horn, output at 20Hz is 40dB, midband reaches 110dB, 20kHz is 80dB.

In post 10,490 you post one graph of 20Hz at 88dB with 7% 2nd harmonic distortion at the throat (‘driver exit”) of your horn, another with 581%.
At that low a frequency, the Axi2050 diaphragm will likely reach it’s limits before the mic does.

Though they may show the output of a portion of the phase plug, neither give a representation of the driver/horn output potential at frequencies in it’s usable pass-band.

To get an idea of the relative levels from two meters distance compared to levels at the throat, I did this inverse distance test while evaluating HF compression drivers:
Inverse Distance.png

Even the B&K (Brüel & Kjær) 4004 test mic (<1%THD at 148dB, 130volt power supply) could be driven into distortion at the throat of a compression driver where levels can exceed 160dB peak.

Art

Even the B&K (Brüel & Kjær) 4004 test mic (<1%THD at 148dB, 130volt power supply) could be driven into distortion at the throat of a compression driver where levels can exceed 160dB peak.

Art

When we were doing PWT testing for nonlinear distortion perception at B&C, we ran into serious problem with the mic (as well as the amp) limitations at very high levels. It's not an easy thing to to, even with the best mics available.

Well, IRC, when I place the mic in the throat of the horn, on the drivers exit...I can run out of headroom well before reaching high spl, in particular in the lower mid bass.

I cant explain why

Which microphone do you use?

The B&K mics are SPL/distortion kings, at a price, of course.

A more than adequate alternative:
iSEMcon EMX-7150, 146dB (3% THD).

Last edited:
Well, IRC, when I place the mic in the throat of the horn, on the drivers exit...I can run out of headroom well before reaching high spl, in particular in the lower mid bass.

I cant explain why
As shown in post #10508, throat SPL may be 30dB higher than level at one meter. Peak levels could reach in the 160dB range.
The back electret condenser test mic you use has a maximum SPL level, above which the waveform is "clipped" off- it can't put out more level.
Clipping.png

Though the fundamental frequency reaches a clipping point that won't go any higher, regardless of SPL, clipped lower frequencies result in harmonics within the audio band. The lower the frequency that is clipped, the more harmonics fit in the audible range.

Art

• Thank You
While these more extreme measurement practices are interesting from an R&D perspective, they are of little use from a reproduction POV, for which the usual measurements 1 meter or further from the mouth suffice. Both the driver and horn are fixed entities that you probably can't change much, other than e.g. adding a precision cut round piece of 30ppi foam to suppress diaphragm resonances.

BTW, I came across a possible 'matching' solution for the low mid/bass range :)

Dior.png

As shown in post #10508, throat SPL may be 30dB higher than level at one meter. Peak levels could reach in the 160dB range.
The back electret condenser test mic you use has a maximum SPL level, above which the waveform is "clipped" off- it can't put out more level.
View attachment 1066032
Though the fundamental frequency reaches a clipping point that won't go any higher, regardless of SPL, clipped lower frequencies result in harmonics within the audio band. The lower the frequency that is clipped, the more harmonics fit in the audible range.

Art
"Peak levels could reach in the 160dB range." - During a sine sweep measurement I assumed that REW was reading peak. Its peak capture ability is not quick enough to capture the true peaks of the signal is what it sounds like you are saying, thus the loss of headroom.

And a B&K microphone will fix this. Since those are hard to come by. How might a Earthworks M30 or similar, fair out.

Attachments

• 1656168256295.png
    1656168256295.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 49
300 Hz seems plausible, even with an undersized horn, judging by the products from a Swiss guy, mentioned earlier in this thread.
He recently launched two 2-way systems. The first features a 15" + 4" comp. driver and his latest creation is a scaled-up version based on the same recipe: 18" + 5" dia.

View attachment 1021095 View attachment 1021097

According to the specifications, the crossover freq. of both systems is 300 Hz.
The 15" is probably equipped with the RCF ND950 2.0, because he almost exclusively used RCF drivers before.

For the 18" version, the Axi2050 is the only option.

Here you can watch a short video of the 18" in action.
is that your system? if so, good job. any links to the projects?

"Peak levels could reach in the 160dB range." - During a sine sweep measurement I assumed that REW was reading peak. Its peak capture ability is not quick enough to capture the true peaks of the signal is what it sounds like you are saying, thus the loss of headroom.
Or I guess you could be saying that I can't take measurements on the exit, in the throat. Maybe back it off by several inches.

And a B&K microphone will fix this. Since those are hard to come by. How might a Earthworks M30 or similar, fair out.
REW is reading RMS level during a sweep, peak level is 3dB higher than RMS for a sine wave.
Whether reading peak or RMS, a compression driver driven near full power can reach in the 160dBSPL range at the throat, but there is no reason to measure at the throat, or "several inches" from the throat- measuring inside a horn is not representative of what you (or your mic) will hear at a listening position.