Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

I leaned towards 3-way concept build with 15” coaxial and 18” bass. Already have pair of BMS 15C262 and BMS 18N862. I also have Hypex FA-123 (200W bridged @8Ohm and 100W@8ohm) for each 15” coax.
Minidsp SHD and some powerful AB-class stereo poweramp to 18” basses should complete the setup.

I am curious should I go with dual (like G 1236A or JBL 4355) or single (like Taipuu 3-way or JBL 4345) 18” bass with one speaker. Also one woofer top and one woofer under of coax is possible.

Next step is to decide bass setup and make test cabinets.
As soon as I seen I couldnt match polars with my horn using side by side woofers, it was a no for me...if your xo points are much lower than mine it might match polar. If the xo is up there, you might have to let go of the concept...seems to be the case for the 2401 twins...any have horizontal polars for the 2401 twins?

if you are talking vertically stacked...2 -18"s per main, is status quo in my opinion, for low distortion bass...ie, keeping bass drivers to 1-2mm excursion at normal domestic volumes

Not sure that answers my question.
Here is the answer written directly: In my opinion big multihorn speakers are not optimal for small space because they could have problems due to small space, that would not exist with smaller system. Mainly because if there is not enough listening distance to get into far field. Now that one is on the near field, a smaller system optimized for nearfield could be more suitable. Have more comfortable sweetspot for example.

I completely understand fun and ego aspect of such system in which case nothing is too much or too big, living the dream. I just don't understand why one would want big multihorn system for small room audio quality reasons. There is no apparent benefits, only unnecessary issues.

There are many ways to enjoy speakers and audio systems and things that don't make sense to me might make sense for someone else.

ps. There are many kinds of large multihorn systems and many size rooms, some fit together nice, some don't. I should have written Too Big from the start.

Last edited:
^I anticipated your response and answered with the post script already :)

No i haven't heard big horn system other than in live concerts. I got relatively small 3-way system at home for practical reasons, which has unnecessarily big bass (15") for my application, could do smaller as it is family livingroom. Lots of fun though.

I have small nearfield monitors for hobby recording/mixing and had fullrange speakers in the past so I feel importance of comfortable listening spot. Both plenty loud at 1 meter, I'm not deaf yet and don't want to be. Highs were impossible to balance with the fullrange speakers because one never knew when ear was at listening spot, on axis beam, couldn't trust the treble since it changes all the time wthout touching the knobs. Also the small monitors have been difficult in practice, they need to be at ear level. Positioned on table without tilt the sound is just woosh woosh :) Reasoning is from this basis.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is all relative, angle and distance from ear towards various ways change a lot with small movement if close up, in the near field. Smallness of a room would come into play here, can't get far enough.

If the relatively short (<1meter) wavelenghts come from one source, like camplos case, then it might not be much of an issue. I just dont see the point, especially with beaming horn. Single fullrange driver could do pretty much the same job without any horn in nearfield setup, one evening job to build such system. Isn't as much fun as practical though.

ps. My new year resolution for 2022 is that I wont post this exact same rant to the thread next year, like I did last year and probably year before :D

. I just dont see the point, especially with beaming horn. Single fullrange driver could do pretty much the same job without any horn in nearfield setup, one evening job to build such system. Isn't as much fun as practical though.
Which one of these situations ends up with the least amount of room and reflections, at the listener in an untreated room?

I'm working on a 3d model for you guys to see my idea of how to get dual 15s on the baffle face while keeping the PP 18"s and the 43inch height.

Last edited:
Whats this do.jpg

Pretty much have all the wood needed sitting in the boxes as is, maybe a few pieces from the scrap I have left....Up front, I created a chamber on the front baffle to house the second woofer...The opposing 18s on the bottom tucked behind the front baffle chamber...a 322sqcm csa squeeze leading to a 1677sqcm area....

new Config(red) vs Old(grey).jpg

The ballpark specs do not seem to yield a large difference in performance...Looking at the HR exported IR's in Rew, it things even more similar in some respects.....in either case the resonate area of the slot is above the desired high pass filter...and with 2 15"s to help instead of one, rather the 15"s are redundant or 2.5way like....not to shabby???

on on the left is a sort of early look at how the original boxes, can transition into the idea on the right...
tEH TRANSFERMATION.jpg

A tall speaker generally needs some distance for the individual drivers to integrate as designed and remembering camplo intends to listen mainly at 1m. I suspect there are very few people who have listened to large multihorn systems intentionally at 1m.
Even an SH50 doesn’t have ‘full’ acoustic integration of all the sources until you’re 1.5 metres from the HF driver exit, which is a little over 1 metre from the cabinet’s grille.

Actually, Tom Danley has said that too I believe, on multiple occasions that I know of.

Tom Danley said:
With the Unity and then Synergy horns, the object was to combine multiple sources in such a way that what radiates appears to be from a single source. With any of them, even the Caleb, you can walk up, put your head in the horn (walk in the Caleb), move around and you never hear anything but a source of sound that seems to always be floating in front of you.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/monster-massive.244508/page-12#post-4158621

Tom Danley said:
Hi bear
You really can make a multi-way horn that sounds and measures like one driver.
Take an SH-50, that, you can walk up to it and then with the grill off stick your head deep inside the mouth and at no point have any idea there is more than one source somewhere in front of you.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...he-last-100-years.208799/page-37#post-3028734

Perhaps I just remember too much info at times... :)
(if I'm interested enough)

Last edited:
Yep, both Tom and Patrick have said that.
On mine, especially the latest build, the phenomenon is best heard with softish mid-range only content, like a male voice. If there is much high frequency content, it's impossible not to locate the CD exit separately, with my head in the horn. Someday i'd like to actually hear a SH-50, if only for comparison .