Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Interesting, I've been searching the internet to find testimonial about issues of comb filtering with the above design which is crossed at 650hz (not a 2.5way) I cannot find anything as of yet...

If you are looking for testimonials for side by side placement you could look for 4350/55 but they used an active crossover @ 300Hz or so which I think is closer to your proposed design. They used either 135A's, 2231's and 2235's in pairs.

You don't need a pair of 15" drivers to reach your desired peak SPL levels. A pair is overkill and just adds cost and complexity. Knock your socks off!

Rob :)

Hi Rob, Did you listen to the Sound File I linked in this post?
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...w-distortion-with-a-2-way.334757/post-6896059Can you hear the difference in the two systems? This isn't about ******* rights or reaching a spl level, this about obtaining the most direct energy as possible.
The cost and complexity of it? Hmm, I have the woofers, so the money part is done. The configuration is pretty easy for me to accommodate the only complexity I foresee is more limitation on the sweet spot, which is already limited to a point tighter than needed to avoid hearing any potential comb filtering.

You really need to listen to the sound file unless you already know what it is am I am talking about. With higher amounts of direct energy less is contributed from the room. This is the desired affect of adding radiation surface area to the midrange, and the difference between an 8" and a twin 15"s is pretty significant but the difference between one 15" and 2.....not sure....Non the less, higher direct energy is the goal.

The first thread I read on a 4350/55 includes input from you Rob lol (Now I'm reading a thread on 4255s and comb filtering, you are there also....lol)....have you had experience with side by side woofers in a two way?

Last edited:
I take that back GM I have no idea how gauge how far back I need to move for 15 to be 8 lol! I was trying to hold my hands at my ears within eye sight and gauge it that way but I just tried it again and my outcome was way closer the 6-7ft away more like 3 ft lol. I just tried it again with a tape measure in front my eyes for the Field of vision part and lined up 8 inches with 30inches wide and was about 29inches away....

I finally came across Robs post of the 4350's manual and the suggested minimum listening distance is 8 ft. I wonder whats the math on that.

Last edited:
I take that back GM I have no idea how gauge how far back I need to move for 15 to be 8 lol! I was trying to hold my hands at my ears within eye sight and gauge it that way but I just tried it again and my outcome was way closer the 6-7ft away more like 3 ft lol. I just tried it again with a tape measure in front my eyes for the Field of vision part and lined up 8 inches with 30inches wide and was about 29inches away....

I finally came across Robs post of the 4350's manual and the suggested minimum listening distance is 8 ft. I wonder whats the math on that.
Why not just build something and discover how it works. You have enough drivers.

You've had almost 3 years of professional advice on this board. I am gobsmacked at how many learned people have contributed to this thread.

Last edited:
"I wont be using them that high but in theory they could work up to 600hz despite being 15" line array (even without xo'ing lower the top/bottom driver). First line array comb filtering null appears somewhere at 800hz (at least I think it's because of comb filtering). The small distancing and the cones normal directivity seems to reduce the crosstalk between drivers' "radiated sound cones" which lessens the comb filtering or sth. " - this is from the beginning of the second link you shared. He also states he is building a smaller system because of circumstances regarding where he moved to. I also just realized he has side by side 15" in this system playing with 1/2nd order xos at 100-200hz.

Hello Camplo

Yes I listened to the file. You going for up close and personal. I got to listen to a pair of 4350's in a guys living room and it was a wall of sound years ago. Distance was good but to close together, cabinet separation could have been better. They were also set-up with the HF drivers inside which also limited the separation. You don't realize just how big they are until you see a pair in the flesh. Other than that dual 15 cinema boxes in a larger room at a DIY meet. Fun for sure!

As far listening distance on the 4350's in the manual I would say the recommendation was more subjective than anything else.

I am still not getting what the second driver is going to give you as far as direct sound. It's all supposition until you get them into your room and find a placement that works for them. I just hope your in close approach is not hobbled due to room issues. The larger the system the more difficult room placement is. Case in point those living room 4350's. Would have been much better in a larger space or a longer wall.

Rob :)