Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

I don't know that any 2 way speaker will do 30 hz. post 6591 NeilBlanchard says he can reproduce 37 if I read the chart right.
I've heard 32 hz out of organ speakers from petersen electromusic, Peterson Electro-Musical Products Inc. - Home
and Allen organ. I've heard a Petersen 18" at St Boniface church in Louisville. I'm helping install a pipe organ in a church that had an Allen 18" driver installed high up front, but the electronic organ died before I ever heard it. Some of Petersen products are 12". Something to do with the enclosures, I suppose.
None of the 18" ers from Peavey come close. 40 hz they say.

Last edited:
I found this within the links you shared Fluid!
attachment.php

This is the bracing style I "created" using knowledge of TL....obviously its not new...but I feel like this is the best as the modes of the cabinet are that of the dimension of each cavity vs the whole cavity....seeing this picture was the confirmation I needed to move forward with confidence....thanks so much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 918
My Snell Acoustics Type E/II with an 8" Vifa woofer played well down into the 30's. And the mass loaded transmission line speaker that I designed with a lot of help from folks here on this forum, and the Facebook group for transmission line speakers, play lower and better than any speaker I have ever heard.

The Linaeum tweeter is something very special - it plays from 480Hz on up, which makes the woofer's job a lot easier. The woofer is 93dB at 2.83V and the tweeter is about 94-95 dB.

Attachments

• MLTL Linaeum TLS + Dayton Audio RS225P-4A.jpg
    MLTL Linaeum TLS + Dayton Audio RS225P-4A.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_20210127_133131__01.jpg
    IMG_20210127_133131__01.jpg
    987.5 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_20210129_093105.jpg
    IMG_20210129_093105.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_20210125_172347.jpg
    IMG_20210125_172347.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 163
ok awesome....I wanted to hide the unfinished parts of the plywood and try some Shou Sugi Ban aka charred wood. Charring the wood and embossing it in epoxy should help keep things tight...if I used 1inch thick planks I could add my chamfered edges too. I was also think to order them in a tile fashion and fill the voids in between with epoxy

You can get a nice effect on the exposed edge of plywood if you clean it up and put a few coats of wipe on poly or something like that over it. I did it on an Orion rebuild where I didn't want to have to veneer all the edges. I stained the top ply black which works much better when the edges are finished as it stops the colour leaking into the end grain. Picture is too big to insert so zoom the thumbnail when selected to see it better :)

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 178
That looks nice....with the confirmation of the non resonance problem I guess I can move forward with what I've visualized so far. I really wanted to make it look like it was sculpted from a boulder but to copy nature is very very hard...Those epoxy resin counter top videos on youtube are not as good looking (to me) as they'd have you believe...or at least I have a keen eye for authenticity....so if I can't beat em....join em....charred wood has all the elements I want (organic...charcoal as a main color proponent)....I don't have to worry about how authentic it looks since....it is real wood lol...real slabs of stone...too expensive!!!

I can visualize the end result (and accept it as desirable)....that is usually my tell tale sign...it adds mass (which doesn't hurt) and I can get my chamfers....and its inexpensive. I can see just the sides finished like so and a charcoal/black gloss on the top/bottom boards. (The boards are 3/4"? Sounds good to meeee)

Last edited:
My double 15’s crossed 750hz 24db basically flat below 40hz, tuned to 30hz, you could hear voices warble a bit on the rihanna loveeeee song on the unapologetic album. But that is a tumbler song too, so there is that........

That’s where the 3 way would help, but that is more phase crossover stuff also.

I don’t listen quite that loud though anymore, but the bass massage is invigorating !!!!

I am a big fan of “larger” 2-ways.

I do also only have a two-way with double 15" woofers and listened to this track at "violent massage" level. It turned heads with people walking next to our house with windows closed. I have the impression that my the ears were having more trouble with distortion than my woofers.

I usually take this track here for the "gargle test" with two-ways. The voice is recorded much cleaner than the vocals on the Rhianna track and therefore better usable for detecting anomalies:

KARI BREMNES Coastal Ship - YouTube

Regards

Charles

The singer Kari Bremnes (who is performing the test song that I postetd the link for) once had the status of "Audiophile Godess" in Europe. Almost all of her songs are recorded very well and she has a beautiful voice, good technique and good musical taste.

I tried that Drake song as well. If there was any gargling it definitely went under because of the rattling doors and walls.

Regards

Charles