Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

All kinds of modern diaphragm materials have come along, but how about good 'ol Aluminum?

This one is less than €20, instead of €120 for the original B&C Titanium shown previously:

Attachments

• Aluminium Diaphragm for   B&C DE75-8, DE75TN, DE750-8, DE750TN, DE82, DE82TN, DE85, DE85TN_Top.jpg
    Aluminium Diaphragm for B&C DE75-8, DE75TN, DE750-8, DE750TN, DE82, DE82TN, DE85, DE85TN_Top.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 433
Call me obsolete, but I don't believe in fixing what isn't broke, so other than Be [and even then JMMLC told me he could only just barely tell the difference between it and alum], I'm leaving well enough alone. As for Ti, I've only auditioned a few versions and all sounded like a metal shop brake shearing sheet tin.

Makes my teeth hurt, but then a lot of folks like sibilance to the point of boosting it as much as 6 dB, so can understand why many folks prefer Ti or similar.

GM

This Vitavox diaphragm doesn't look very different, even though it's 15-20x more expensive. Evidently, the VC and its fixation is a piece of art.

Attachments

• NOS Vitavox S2-S3 vintage diaphragm for horn driver type S2_4_125.jpg
    NOS Vitavox S2-S3 vintage diaphragm for horn driver type S2_4_125.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 318
  • Vitavox S3_4.JPG
    Vitavox S3_4.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Vitavox S3_Dia_Closeup.JPG
    Vitavox S3_Dia_Closeup.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
This Vitavox diaphragm doesn't look very different, even though it's 15-20x more expensive. Evidently, the VC and its fixation is a piece of art.

Dimentionnal sprecifications tolerances can change the cost to X1000
Geometrical sprecifications tolerances can change the cost to X1000
An alloy specifically developped for an application change the cost to X1000
The assembling process performed by trained experts change the cost to X1000

what about the JBL titanium non ribbed coated with Aquaplas (SL) dias?

Don't know unless the [various] JBL systems used in the local Regal Hollywood Stadium Cinema 24 multiplex use them in which all the ones I've visited are so broadband 'bright'/unpleasant to the point of having to sometimes stuff my ears with cotton, and my hearing 'drops like a stone' above ~12 kHz, so quit going.

The 'Private Ryan' movie had me and some other older seniors walking out for a refund. :( That said, I've since come to the conclusion that it must be Tinnitus related, so YMMV.

Regardless, should work fine if the driver is designed for it based on my airbrush misting/coating Ti, [Altec] Symbiotik, piezo with Dammar for HIFI/HT apps.

GM

And once you get started..

How about a line-array?
9 compression drivers in each cluster (element) X 16 for the full (supercluster) array = 144 drivers.

Attachments

• singleportedwaveguide.png
    singleportedwaveguide.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 339
  • supercluster-front-view.png
    supercluster-front-view.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 318
  • supercluster-array_100.jpg
    supercluster-array_100.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 97
  • compression-driver-complete.jpg
    compression-driver-complete.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 96
  • compression-driver-diapraghm.jpg
    compression-driver-diapraghm.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 89
  • compression-driver-faseplug.jpg
    compression-driver-faseplug.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Here's an article about dual versus a single driver attached to one horn. It doesn't seem worthwile, but the manifold (adapter) looks like a huge bottleneck with its sharp angles and pinched throats.
For dual-Axi2050 duties, a traditional WE/Altec type short exponential manifold might work better, perhaps with vanes near the exit. The manifold could be attached to a properly sized (conical) mouth section, think: Klipsch K402. This way you'll end up with good loading as well as decent directivity.
Or just clone an 18-cell WE/Vitavox/Altec horn ;)

Last edited: