Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

I believe my basement room was roughly 12x40 and it had some bad suck out in the bass around where you mention Turk. Moving upstairs to a shorter but wider room really opened things up. So much so that if presented with to option to buy my place, that room downstairs would be a major issue for me. It was pointed out to me that the room could be an issue, and it wasn't until I added some sealed 12" subs that it really became clear that the room was not helping things. It was like the subs weren't even there. So strange. Upstairs they shake the whole house and it's night and day difference.

A few pages from Junichi Arai's book:
"Horn speaker production in the digital age"

Attachments

• Arai Book_2.jpg
    Arai Book_2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 452
  • Arai Book_3.png
    Arai Book_3.png
    882 KB · Views: 441
  • Arai Book_4.png
    Arai Book_4.png
    905 KB · Views: 435
  • Arai Book_5.jpg
    Arai Book_5.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 444
  • Arai Book_6.png
    Arai Book_6.png
    683.6 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Can I ask how high off the floor do you like your tweeters to be, and yourself when seated, and how far are you from each speaker. Nothing personal ;)

Ideally I’d put the hi’s at ear level but the cabinets are so big, when I build these I’ll likely have the point in the middle of the mid woofer and horn at ear level....48” off the floor.

I never measured the width apart for my desk of which I usually assign a position to the left and right of. Maybe 6ft?

Yes, but at first a nearly rectangular version:

View attachment 795906
View attachment 795907

These horns are nice, they are starting to remind of my favorite looking horn, the jmlc iwata. The iwata style mouth can be integrated into other horns, are you able to do this in light of the recent horns you’ve shown? I really like this one, along with the first 2 Jericho 45 models. The latest ones with projections are great too.

A few pages from Junichi Arai's book:
"Horn speaker production in the digital age"

I like horns of these type. I own myself a pair of TH4001, they measure very good and load very low. IMHO, especially for this horn I think the adapter is too short and intended for very wide dispersion. Therefore, I wrote a small VBA macro to export point cloud for such adapters round->rectangular. This was a bit tricky to transition between the two shapes by preserving the edges correctly:

tad_adapter_01.JPG

Ideally I’d put the hi’s at ear level but the cabinets are so big, when I build these I’ll likely have the point in the middle of the mid woofer and horn at ear level....48” off the floor.

I never measured the width apart for my desk of which I usually assign a position to the left and right of. Maybe 6ft?

I have always found the very best results with the mid centred at ear level dynamic or horn, the mid is the most important driver there is.

These horns are nice, they are starting to remind of my favorite looking horn, the jmlc iwata. The iwata style mouth can be integrated into other horns, are you able to do this in light of the recent horns you’ve shown? I really like this one, along with the first 2 Jericho 45 models. The latest ones with projections are great too.

I assume that you have something similar to PACMAN in mind? The form is the result of stretching and the amount of stereographic projection applied:

PACMAN_01.JPG PACMAN_02.JPG
View attachment PACMAN_01.zip

Last edited:
I assume that you have something similar to PACMAN in mind? The form is the result of stretching and the amount of stereographic projection applied:

View attachment 796186 View attachment 796188
View attachment 796187

Omg what can’t you do!
You design a horn like this with the ~35” axial length ~30” width and you’ll have topped the Jericho 45. I don’t know horn theory as well as you so I don’t know if I’m talking crazy when I say dimensions but, add to that a 20” height :)
My thought is that with this style height is the shortest dimension so might as well make sure to get directivity at, at least 700hz on the vertical.

I think the iwata I’ve come to is maybe derived from a rectangle?
What are you thinkin?

Last edited:
Omg what can’t you do!
You design a horn like this with the ~35” axial length ~30” width and you’ll have topped the Jericho 45. I don’t know horn theory as well as you so I don’t know if I’m talking crazy when I say dimensions but, add to that a 20” height :)
My thought is that with this style height is the shortest dimension so might as well make sure to get directivity at, at least 700hz on the vertical.

I think the iwata I’ve come to is maybe derived from a rectangle?
What are you thinkin?

I suggest that you read my article about stereographic projection:

A Normalized Stereographic Projection for Spherical Horns – Sphericalhorns

Then you might understand better what is going on. Put a circle on a sphere and it fits perfectly. So, for a circle the projection does nothing. But put an allipse on a sphere then you have to bend it to fit on the surface. The more stretching is applied the more curved the mouth will be. Where the mouth diameter is small (vertical) the length of the wall is longer and should provide a little bit more loading here. If you want equal loading then you need a round mouth. Btw, the last round horn shown is running currently as simulation...

Ok, and ty, I wish I knew how to run simulation, when I get time I will focus on learning ABEC. I’m pretty sure what it is that I’d like is based off a rectangle/iwata and somewhere within the dimensions I listed...a kind of rectangle iwata Jericho lol!

Last edited:
You once mentioned that crossing ~200Hz allows the horn to manage the room down to the Schroeder frequency. Is this a greater or lesser priority for you when all things are considered?

I am still trying to cross at 200 Hz. As far as getting directivity down to 700Hz or better, I’m looking at the shape of iwata horns, and it’s smallest dimension is the height, so I’d like to try and keep directivity down to 700hz or better, which is about 20”. Docali has been very capable in his creativity

So two main driving factors for striving for 200hz
All things are better in a horn they say, so why not go as low as I can. I can’t afford to go to 30hz with a horn so, 200hz.
The main reason why I like crossing low like at 200hz, is the coherency created by the “naked midrange”. Getting the crossover out of the most important spectrum yields easy significant gains for SQ. The mid on my current 3 way runs from 130hz to 2.1khz. When I started the thread I was trying to create the top end using a coaxial, then I learned about and experienced horns, then I switched to the horn idea but, I was trying to cross at 200hz from the get go, being denied that, until I learned how well the Axi performed. Somewhere in there I was looking to cross an AMT at 200hz. I’ve been looking to encompass all or as much of midrange and treble into one driver from the beginning. So I’d say that with those things considered, single point source, crossover-less mid range, in a horn, are definitely a staple in this design. Why do you ask sir gentleman Allen ?