Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Watching this animation immediately made me think of when someone was describing how it sounded on a horn that was crossed too low, as if the sound was coming from some where inside the throat. If you look at this animation you can see the sound pressure front initiate inside the throat and eventually make its way out.
The Jericho 45 does not have this issue at 200hz. Me so happy.

I think you do a complete misinterpretation here. These are no sound waves coming out the horn. The video is simply sequentially animating the observation fields for each frequency. So, you only get an animated impression of this metric

The horn is essentially an air coupler between the environment and the diaphragm. This coupling presents a mass load of air between the two, which translates as acoustical impedance. During this spectrum of frequency the driver is more efficient and the diaphragm has to move much less in order create spl. When a cd/horn combo reaches a frequency where this relationship no longer exist, it is now said to have unloaded or, basically, loading is not taking place. Acoustically, impedance has dropped significantly, the diaphragm must move a much greater distance to achieve spl and the pressure front is basically right in front of the diaphragm instead of in front of the horn. During loading, in a nutshell, the wave front is at or nearing the diameter of the horns opening upon exit, while unloaded, the wave front is the size of diaphragm. So like listening to 200hz from a 4” woofer or a 15”, but in this instance the diaphragm only has 1.1mm of Xmax.

I’m new to this too so I might of said all of that correctly if not I’ll be corrected lol

So now that we use compression drivers with horns that can create signal upwards of 135db...in a hifi setting, loading isn’t always the deciding factor of what range can be covered, unless you are trying to extend the response or if your are chasing the gained sound quality of being properly loaded where possible in the production range.

I’m probably using wavefront front incorrectly but maybe not. Maybe pressure front is the better word, basically, like in the sims, where the plane wave reaches its maximum efficiency is what I’m referring to.
Also, like Docali says, in the sims theres no sound wave but rather, what is the correct terminology for what the colors represent? Where the the colors are the hottest, and start to translate to color colors. I imagine that, that, would be the pressure front.

Last edited:
I’m probably using wavefront front incorrectly but maybe not. Maybe pressure front is the better word, basically, like in the sims, where the plane wave reaches its maximum efficiency is what I’m referring to.
Also, like Docali says, in the sims theres no sound wave but rather, what is the correct terminology for what the colors represent? Where the the colors are the hottest, and start to translate to color colors. I imagine that, that, would be the pressure front.

The video is simply a flipbook as sequence of such figures. Nothing else.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...m-spl-low-distortion-2-a-435.html#post5976765

Last edited:
As camplo showed some affection to the Jericho 45 here is another horn of similar type but with progressive T which should have slightly less beaming. The length is about 90cm:

drba_Jericho_45_PE.JPG
View attachment drba_Jericho_45_PE.zip

And here the model shark with slight stretching and projection applied :D

drba_Shark_45_PE_PRJ.JPG
View attachment drba_Shark_45_PE_PRJ.zip

On page 334, GM referred to chapter 11 of Abe Cohen's "HI-FI Loudspeakers and Enclosures", and more specifically page 236.

At that time I could only find a few pages of said chapter.
Here it is in its full glory.

Attachments

• Abraham Cohen - Chapter 11_Types of horn loaded enclosures_def.5.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 197
Last edited: