Iron Pumpkin(s) and other smaller vegetable animals

Sound....
Initially, none.
Plugged 002 in between the DAC and AJ, rotated the big knob CW, and nothing.

Checked cabling, should be a go on input 1.
Rotated Zen Source to the 2nd position, and viola - music.
5 inputs, 6 positions on the switch. What the Zen is here I don't know yet, but for now, I'm listening.
The difference is large enough that at first, I thought something was wrong. As my ears adjusted, however, I came to know that, in fact, things had become much more righteous.

My system was close to being very good, and now it is.
Depth of tone is a revelation. Overall improvement to be certain, but particularly in the bass (as was mentioned about the IP recently) and percussion.

Zen Amount adjustments produce nothing but a change in amount, no step or notching, just change.
Everything about 002 is smooth and right while looking bad all the while.

The music is all there.
I think I'm beginning to understand what that means.
Mongo was impressed. What more needs to be said, unless Papa chimes in?

More iron - Where'd I put those SissySIT boards and Cinemags?

Size of 002 required movement of pre from shelf just above the AJ (needs some breathing room) to the location shown. Rack (actually two Ikea towel racks, one stacked on the other) needs some work to get the DAC off of it.
The diminutive component above the AJ is the pre that 002 has supplanted, a Schitt Saga with upgraded tube.

I'll refrain from saying it for now to give ZM the first crack.

Also pictured are ze backside (darkly) and the view from where I listen.

Attachments

• IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    499.4 KB · Views: 362
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
most left position of Zen Source switch is intentionally "Mute" ; it's easy to get 5-way from 6-way switch , simply relocating indexing washer , but I chose to have Mute function

Iron Pumpkins are intentionally made to be transparent and invisible as much possible , so no complications regarding amp choice , meaning - you can freely observe IP as black box , and put some iron further in signal path , without worrying about possible additive effects

Papa chiming in ..... naah ...... I'm again in disgrace , so no :clown:

Shiit - name almost funny as that I invented it ....... :) ........ one thing - first premise of Iron Pumpkins was to get rid of resistive attenuator , then I made what I needed to made to have it fully operational and compatible with whatever you throw at it , before and after ......

so , as result - from technical side of view , I simply stopped comparisons of Iron Pumpkin with anything still having resistive attenuator in ......

of course , someone else is certainly in position to make comparisons between IP and anything else in Black Box fashion , simply looking for difference in sound ........

So , having impression that you're overly satisfied ........ I'm satisfied too ..

:cheers:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
and yeah , not least important - I like "decoration" of wall behind speakers ......... nice biplane and shiny Birds ...... though , one thing is missing to complete both the decoration and amplification approach - bigger boxes with bigger cones

not necessarily size of proper propeller , but from 12" upwards can't do any harm

:)

002 is very likely the terminator of my preamplifier quest.
Not that I've tried many, but 002 satisfies and easily transcends resistance volume control.

I have no desire to alter Zen Source functionality, 0 to 5 instead of 1 to 6.
Mute position is a good idea as Zen Amount is 1 to 23 rather than 0 to 22.

My Dad made the shiny birds from brass shim stock and brazing rod back in the early 60's. He also made the table, but later, in the 90's.

Knew the sissy speaks comment was coming, but those 8"er's overwhelm my space at about 3 o'clock Zen Amount.
Never have tried any big full range transducers but I am intrigued as I feel my electronics are getting up to snuff and speakers may be the weakest link in my chain.

Okay, you passed on your chance.
That's some sissy Schitt on the 2nd shelf up.
Nevertheless, a pretty decent preamplifier for a 2nd or 3rd system.

Overly satisfied, yes.
You know, I've had many components that I was proud to own, but with 002 and the AJ, I feel fortunate to have the use of them.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Mazeppa, with Iron Pumpkin (Balanced) I heard the most beautiful bass and the most beautiful percussion in my experience :) And the voices ... are divine! Thanks ZenMod:cheers:

Attachments

• 20190723_095333.jpg
    20190723_095333.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 414
  • 20190723_095223.jpg
    20190723_095223.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 407
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
so , you can actually hear what I meant , defining my own obsession , (especially) regarding preamps- Signal Energy Preservation

similar effect to Power Compression , when speaking about Speaker - amplifier combo - you simply hear it when solved , as tremendous ease and ...... sometimes even having impression that sound is somewhat boring , nothing especially attractive, up to the moment when you get goosebumps from something

Last night I played few later albums from Johnny Cash , through my own IP SE and DEFiSIT and ......

Man , I'm so Happy Camper ......... :clown:

002 had started me wondering if compression occurred in playback equipment D/S of the DAC.

Was under the impression that compression only happened in the digital domain of signal crapification.

Really jumped out at me when I was listening to David Bowie's Greatest hits.
A cd I am very familiar with hearing in my car stereo and main system pre-002 for years.
DB & Associates always sounded good, and much like I heard from various other ways: movie soundtracks, FM radio, etc.

However When played through 002 & the AJ, it sounded so different; layering and depth of sounds was astonishing, and thoroughly delightful.
An epiphany.

I find more and more as my playback equipment improves that I had little idea how good these artists are.
Even "Wild Thing" by The Troggs had more to offer.