Iron Pre Essentials Kits For The DIYA Store - Register Your Interest

I had some "spare time" ( wife away :) ) so decided to case this up - original plan was to use the one from Gianluca but I realised it uses 2 stereo pots which is nice to set balance but a pia for the way it will be used. I recycled base plate, some spare bits of wood and a can of paint.

I thought i had panel mount XLRs but seems I have male panel connectors and not the needed female, so have 2 pairs on order - setting mine up for BAL/SE/BAL/SE/BAL with a sub output and option to switch between SE out and BAL out

1684598378938.png

and of course the cat had to come and see what I had put down on the counter

1684598454597.png

One question for SE / BAL - do I need to ground the unused negative input for SE input - I thought yes but wanted to make sure before I power it up and test again for voltages etc and then plug into my system.

this is a great project and thanks again to all involved - amazing to see that they are all sold already

..dB

Reactions: 5 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
do I need to ground the unused negative input for SE input
yes, bridge of thin wire between GND and Neg pad of input in case

though, no particular harm even if not, in which case neg buffer will have both input and output floating

I simply prefer having neg buffer input grounded to prevent Gremlins of making harm

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
@dBel84 - Awesome! I got a couple of pieces of Viborg stuff. The most impressive (to me) was a 5-pin DIN plug for a phono cord. Their parts seem to be really well made.

@Peppe - Congratulations! 🎉🥳

Everyone - Just in case... for clarity ...
  1. The 45 minutes is just the timing between e-mails. It's not a time 'slot' within which the product needs to be ordered. However, if there is one unit left, and someone makes it to #1 on the list, they'd better act quickly.
  2. The inventory is not assigned or held for any period of time for any particular user. Anyone that has a valid password can order. That password may have been issued before ... or after ... someone else's.
ZM is a naughty boy. :devilr:

• Thank You
Joined 2021
Paid Member
I had some "spare time" ( wife away :) ) so decided to case this up - original plan was to use the one from Gianluca but I realised it uses 2 stereo pots which is nice to set balance but a pia for the way it will be used. I recycled base plate, some spare bits of wood and a can of paint.

I thought i had panel mount XLRs but seems I have male panel connectors and not the needed female, so have 2 pairs on order - setting mine up for BAL/SE/BAL/SE/BAL with a sub output and option to switch between SE out and BAL out

View attachment 1175891

and of course the cat had to come and see what I had put down on the counter

View attachment 1175892

One question for SE / BAL - do I need to ground the unused negative input for SE input - I thought yes but wanted to make sure before I power it up and test again for voltages etc and then plug into my system.

this is a great project and thanks again to all involved - amazing to see that they are all sold already

..dB
Looks gorgeous! :cheers: and it's cat-approved, so everything is fine:D

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Not an issue for me…same as my current DCB1 with Jensen Iron on the outputs.

Gain is for sissys…I use Tannoys or any fullrangers that have high sensitivity…and horns sometimes too 😉

@ZM…Will my Turtle that I ordered with the SE Iron Pumpkin work with the Balanced Iron Pre kit?

I’m debating which system should get which preamp and if this is an option.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Will my Turtle that I ordered with the SE Iron Pumpkin work with the Balanced Iron Pre kit?

nope; there is significant difference

Iron Pumpkin SE is having proper SE Iron Turtle AVC module

Iron Pumpkin (Bal) is having proper balanced Iron Turtle AVC module

first case is one AVC coil per core per channel

second case is two AVC coils (one per phase) per core per channel

Last edited:
When I woke up this morning and saw the good news email, I had much hope to get a kit. I was no 173 on the list and with 249 kits available, my chances seemed quite good.

Right now, I’m at no 158 and there are only 112 kits left. I'm guessing a lot of members are taking both Bal and SE kits. My chances look a lot slimmer now. In fact, I’ve lost all hope to get a kit this round.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Not an issue for me…same as my current DCB1 with Jensen Iron on the outputs.

Gain is for sissys…I use Tannoys or any fullrangers that have high sensitivity…and horns sometimes too 😉

Funny you write that... I hooked up my new SissySIT to the Maggie 1.7, just for kicks, to see what happened.

It actually drove them very well... I'd say to 9, not 10, not 11.... but what a glorious 9.

The bass was a bit soft, yes, but from the mid bass on up, the midrange and treble, it was an awesome sound.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
When I woke up this morning and saw the good news email, I had much hope to get a kit. I was no 173 on the list and with 249 kits available, my chances seemed quite good.

Right now, I’m at no 158 and there are only 112 kits left. I'm guessing a lot of members are taking both Bal and SE kits. My chances look a lot slimmer now. In fact, I’ve lost all hope to get a kit this round.

Yeah.. I feel your pain. It seems evil that people are taking two kits, huh?

Not exactly.
Jason wrote "For this batch, there are 249 members on the list, and there are 140 kits."