[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sourcing for the Elektor Titan 2000 super amp.

Hello Tarun,

You are right about this being off thread... sorry Its just that I was oblivious i was on this thread...We'll se if the mod can do something about removing them. .. I thought I'll have a seperate thread for this great amp.. Here it is:-
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28391

Patrick

Re: High quality components from RS India

tcpip said:
  • They sell only to companies. (This is no big deal; any of you can position yourself as a sole-proprietorship firm. You don't need to even have a bank account of that firm's name to deal with RS Components... they take payment by DD, not cheque. And for Income Tax purposes, a sole proprietorship firm is indistinguishable from its proprietor, and there are zero legalities or registrations or permissions involved.)
  • They deal in small quantities. Most items, even items costing Rs.40 and 50, are available in ones and twos. I saw only caps and resistors having minimum order quantities above 1, and that too, at 5 or 10.

Hi Tarun,
why do you say that RS deals only with companies and not individuals? Do they always ask for company name for billing purposes etc? And how exactly do you go about positioning yourself as a "sole proprietership" business?

also found X- and Y- rated caps, meant for putting across the live and neutral terminals of the mains supply, for noise suppression. A 0.1uF cap (typical value for this application) was Rs.160 or so. Just try looking for an X-rated cap on L.Road; the shopkeeper will think you're looking for titillation. :D

yep, pretty difficult to find in B'lore too, expensive and usually not the value you want!

The fact that they don't have huge MOQs is certainly very encouraging. I desperately need a rack-mount type chassis to hold my monster amplifier in. It's probably the only amplifier in the world that needs regular vaccum cleaning ;)

Thanks,
- Ashwin

Re: High quality components from RS India

tcpip said:

What I didn't find here was a DIY orientation. There were no speaker drivers, no banana sockets that I could see, no speaker cable, in general, no particular audio equipment focus in any section. I guess their customers are into general industrial electronics, not audio.

Actually, they do seem to have speaker drivers (under All Products | Electrical | Audio/Video Systems | Loudspeaker Drivers) :) But oddly enough, although the T/S parameters are mentioned, there is no indication of the manufacturer of these drivers.

- Ashwin

Re: Re: High quality components from RS India

Originally posted by ashwin why do you say that RS deals only with companies and not individuals? Do they always ask for company name for billing purposes etc? And how exactly do you go about positioning yourself as a "sole proprietership" business?
I am told they want to know company name and address. I guess you can just give them your office address (assuming you work in some office somewhere), and they'll treat their sale as a sale to the company where you work.

Alternately, you can always say you are calling from "XYZ Audio" and place your order. Give any convenient address where you can receive a courier delivery, e.g. your home, and a phone number where RS can call you. In terms of Indian corporate law, income tax laws, etc, anyone can say he is a sole proprietorship firm. No registration or permissions of any kind are necessary. Just print a letterhead, print business cards, and get started. This freedom is given specifically to allow small entrepreneurs to start doing business with least investment. Any income you earn from your sole prop. firm (in fact, all your sole prop. firms put together) will be aggregated as your personal business income, when calculating income tax. Partnership firms need to get their partnership deed registered. Limited companies (both pvt ltd as well as public ltd companies) have to do enormous amounts of paperwork with Registrar of Companies, and are governed by separate laws for corporate income tax, etc. However, sole proprietorship firms are governed purely by the laws of personal individual income and taxation.

Therefore, by saying that you are "Logicsoft Audio Labs", you can claim that you are a firm, and you will actually be totally legal. If you earn any money under this firm's name, of course you'll have to show it as business income (whose rules are slightly different from those of salaried income). But for the purposes of dealing with RS India, you can just act as a sole prop. firm without worrying about income tax issues.

X-caps and Y-caps...
These caps are available abroad for about a dollar each from Digikey. So, the RS prices are steep. But at least they know such items exist.

The fact that they don't have huge MOQs is certainly very encouraging. I desperately need a rack-mount type chassis to hold my monster amplifier in.
Be warned: the prices are steep from RS. Some examples, with part numbers from the RS Website:
  • 179-055: 4U, full width, 422mm depth, two-tone steel, IEC297: Rs.18,025
  • 224-206: 1U, full width, 254mm depth, grey front panel: Rs.9,425
  • 224-240: 2U, full width, 254mm depth, black front panel: Rs.10,689
It is possible that the first of this list is made of more steel and less aluminium, thus making it stronger. I don't know clearly; I didn't study the technical information in detail, and after seeing the prices, I have little incentive to do so. :)

Unless you have the need for specially heavy-built racks, I'd think the Dinrack class of boxes will be more cost-effective. Even for heavier construction, Dinrack may be able to do something for you. It is of course possible that the RS racks will be much more well-finished, with plates that mate more precisely, than the Dinrack racks.

Just my ten-paise of suggestions. :)

Tarun

Made a mistake with cap prices from RS India

Really sorry, guys. Made a mistake with cap prices.

tcpip said:
And I found an Epox-Rifa metallised polypropylene cap, 4.7uF, 250VDC, for Rs.150 or so....I also found X- and Y- rated caps, meant for putting across the live and neutral terminals of the mains supply, for noise suppression. A 0.1uF cap (typical value for this application) was Rs.160 or so....
I double-checked, and the correct prices are:
  • 414-7765: 4.7uF Rifa metallised polyprop, 250VDC, Rs.162
  • 262-4995: Tantalum cap, 22uF, 25V, "drop" shaped orange: Rs.146
  • 414-8522: 0.1uF 440VAC, X rated cap: Rs.39
  • 441-9880: 0.022uF film cap, Y2 rated: Rs.31
The X and Y rated caps are actually less expensive than the ones I've seen on Digikey, even if I ignore all Customs and shipping. This makes the pricing remarkable. Sorry about the earlier goof-up.

Tarun

Re: Speaker drivers on RS India!!!! Yes!!!!

ashwin said:
Actually, they do seem to have speaker drivers (under All Products | Electrical | Audio/Video Systems | Loudspeaker Drivers) :) But oddly enough, although the T/S parameters are mentioned, there is no indication of the manufacturer of these drivers.
Yes!!!!! Thanks a ton. I had missed these.

And the manufacturers are mentioned. Go to the page for each speaker, and click on the part number. A small pop-up window will open up in your browser, giving you two lines of details about the item. That's where the manufacturer and the manufacturer's part number will be given. That's how I discovered that some of their pots were Alps, for instance.

I checked the speaker page, and found that they have 10" drivers from Visaton. And they have a 10mm dome tweeter which is the Audax TW010F1. It sells on Madisound for about USD 6.00.

So we finally have someone selling international speaker drivers in India in small quantities, legally. Yes!!! :D

Under the audio/video section, you'll also find sexy looking gold-plated phono plugs in a multitude of colours to gladden any Rajasthani tribal's heart. Unfortunately, I didn't yet find any panel-mountable phono sockets. I guess the MX items are good enough for me, though.

Tarun

Be warned: the prices are steep from RS. Some examples, with part numbers from the RS Website:

Hell, no way I'm going to pay the prices quoted for chassis from RS-swadeshi maal will do fine for me thank you very much! I got my AKSA power amp chassis (cost me 1700) coated in a black "crinkle finish" at a local MRF Vapocure franchise , and it looks very good.

Of course when it comes to components it may be a different story. I met up with someone who makes UPS enclosures
and got him to do the sheet metal work for me-that's another option for any of you-these guys will have the basic equipment to easily make an enclosure and are familiar with what we need for mounting PCBs and hardware.

With respect to RS selling to business-it looks like they follow the B2B model which many sellers follow-including the German giant Metro Cash and Carry-who sell provisions among other things. They insist on a sales tax number, though!

George

RS India: gold-plated banana plugs/sockets

It appears they have them. Look up part numbers 458-213 or 458-190. The banana plugs can take a thick wire upto 7.5mm dia (no soldering lugs). The chassis-mounted sockets can be fitted on panels upto 20mm thick, and can take either bare cable upto 7.5mm dia, or can take a banana plug. Since the sockets have a screw-on clamp, maybe they can also take spade connectors.

The stuff I saw from MX were mounted on plastic mounting cups. If you like such cups, the MX ones will probably be cheaper. But if you want direct mounting on the speaker body, these gold-plated sockets will be good.

Tarun

Vivek said:
Guys, how do I get the prices of the products? There is a quote form and it asks for an quote ref. What is that?
Just any string, which you should not repeat for two quote requests to them. You can use strings like "2004/RSI/1", "2004/RSI/2", etc. They'll just remember the string, and use it for reference when replying. (I didn't see them quoting my quote ref in their response, however.)

Is there an easier way of finding the price?
Maybe you can just write an email to mumbai.rsi@controlsindia.com and simply ask them the prices. Give them part numbers for each of the items you are interested in, of course, not just descriptions.

Tarun

100mm Slide Motorised 10K Pot required

Hello all,

A friend of mine who happens to be my sound man is pursuing a DIY 32 channel stage mixer with motorised faders and I am helping him with that - his mixer design. He is a software guy and hopes to program the 100m slide motorised faders to change scenes via an interface to a PC from MIDI sequences that I have recorded in my studio.

We have sourced the faders from Taiwan @ US$7.75 each for 50 pieces but would be interested in desi manufacturers for price sake. Is there anyone in India making these things. Forget Farnell & RS - they fleece!! Its cheaper sending anything from the US as 'gifts' for an under US$105 value declaration as the customs guys (from experience are nefarious and dumb-aka ignorant).

Another thing. I am looking for anyone in this group who can help me get a few packed ham radio items from my sister's place in Toronto. Is there anyone here who can help me with that and based in To.

Patrick

Re: 100mm Slide Motorised 10K Pot required

peterpan73 said:
We have sourced the faders from Taiwan @ US$7.75 each for 50 pieces but would be interested in desi manufacturers for price sake. Is there anyone in India making these things.
I don't know any actual makers in India, but I'd consider the likelihood extremely low. Even if they do make such things here, it'll be for 100% export, because the local market will be microscopic in size. So, till the local market grows (unlikely in the foreseeable future), it's best to get such things from overseas.

Let us know if you find any Indian manufacturers.

Forget Farnell & RS - they fleece!!
To each his own, I guess. :)

I never understood how people spend hundreds of dollars on a stepped attenuator which does practically the same thing as a good volume pot. But for those who do, I don't think Farnell and RS are people who fleece.

Tarun

The Visaton WS 17 E 6.5" woofer available on RS India

Seeing Vivek's mention of 6.5" drivers, I thought I'd see what RS has in that area. 6.5" woofers are a near-ideal size for making two-way speakers. (I'm trying to get some Boltons of that size for a speaker I'm trying to build.)

I found the RS #431-8563, which had some interesting properties (coated paper cone, rubber surround, 13mm cone displacement) and it was from VIsaton. Their part number was 1055. I found this page on the Visaton Website, which specifies the model as the WS 17 E, 8 Ohms, and specifies the price as EUR 20.46 (about Rs.1000?). The datasheet gives a Qts of 0.63, fs of 41Hz, a VAS of 31 litres, and "maximum cone displacement" as 13mm. Not clear whether this is peak-to-peak. That is the only likely explanation. +/-13mm would be too large for a 6.5" cone. The frequency response and impedance graphs are decent too. An LR4 low-pass at 3KHz should work, and that gives us room to use any dome tweeter, including the Peerless 60W one we've talked about on other threads.

Anyone wants to check with RS how much it costs in India? It seems like a good driver. I'd guess RS would charge between Rs.1500 and 2000 for it, including shipping and customs. The only reason to look at this driver over the Bolton 16SJW22 with similar specs is the larger Xmax. Subjective differences will of course exist, but one can't decide those by just numbers. One of us will have to become the bakra and buy one of these first. :)

Similarly, the RS #431-8535 is a Visaton 10" woofer, which Visaton says is EUR 31.26; it's not part of their "high-end" range. (There's only one 10" in their "high-end" range, which costs EUR 150+.)

I can't believe we're actually casually discussing Indian suppliers of brand-name European drivers. :D

Tarun

Attachments

• ws17e_fs.gif
    ws17e_fs.gif
    18 KB · Views: 353
Speaker prices

The Visaton 6.5" woofer seems to be Rs.2335, and the 10" one is Rs.3494. The 10mm dome tweeter from Audax is discontinued. Steep prices.

Gold plated banana plugs are Rs.295 each, speaker-body-mounting sockets are just over Rs.300 each, and gold-plated metal-body RCA plugs are in the range of Rs.100 or so.

Just FYI.

I'll stick to Bolton for now. If I can get Monga Sahib to respond to my order.

Tarun

About pots and pans

Hello there Tarun,

I never understood how people spend hundreds of dollars on a stepped attenuator which does practically the same thing as a good volume pot.
by tcpip

Ha Ha I hope u're not insinuating that to mean that we're turning to motorised faders when what we need are simple pots. If you know anything about mixes you would have noticed that pots are also used for faders and pans in recording mixers. The motorised ones are in the more pro-rec level. If you look closely at the posting I have attempted to explain in the next sentence where they would be applied, which is I quote

to change scenes via an interface to a PC from MIDI sequences that I have recorded in my studio.

Now thats something you don't find in an ordinary off the shelf mixer with 32 channels. That is what my friend is attempting to make. Most musicians would like to change mix settings in the middle of a live performance lets say , the guitar guy wants his guitar to sound louder during a lead-in while at other times less. He would normally use the Gain control on his guitar, but this could also be done from the mix at that particular point in the song manually by a sound man. The use of PC control of the motor in the pots thru a MIDI interface if I understand my soundman correctly is to convert my MIDI scenes to sync with the pots movement automatically i.e. to increase or decrease gain for any channel at that point in a song in a live performance so that the sound man could do other things than sit behind a mix desk waiting to sync with his musicians on stage. Therefore in this case motorised faders are mandatory!! This feature is found in many pro - recording mixers but seldom or perhaps never in stage mixes. If you know of any that do I would appreciate it so very much if you could share that knowledge with us!!

I hope i have not confused you.

Patrick

Vifa drivers available in India

This morning I discovered that Vifa has a new dealer in Bangalore who caters to DIYers. the company is called Corrson. They are shifting office now so do not try the numbers given in the dst web site, I talked to one Shiva at 080 2654 6759. They stock Vifa drivers. They also have metalized Polypropalene capacitors.

Can any of our Bangalore friends please check them out. I think it is good news for DIYers in India.

I wanted to thank Tarun for doing excellent leg work in finding rack/knob/PCB manufacturers in Bombay. It is commendable the amount of effort he has taken in finding these for the DIY community of India. I wish I can find a decent box manufacturer in Delhi who wound make DIY quantities. My wife will be the happiest to see all the garbage I build conveniently hidden inside swanky enclosures.

The last time I checked this thread there were some 5 posts, I am surprised to see that the thread is now 6 pages long, I am yet to read all the posts.

I was telling Tarun that we should keep this thread for providing information on DIY components available in India.

Angshu

I need Gala Visha Electronics phone NOs

Hey there Tarun,

I need phone numbers for gala(Vegakit), Visha, Cirkit and any other parts supplier in the Proctor or Lamington Road area. The Gala Elec Nos I tried looks obsolete, same with Visha. The last time I tried was last week.They're prompt with their order despatches. Please let us know those numbers??

Patrick

Metal enclosures

Hello All,

Vivek and George looks like they're hunting for amp enclosures.
There is this place I've come across in delhi called Metalcraft and they manufacture &sell impressive amp enclosures, card frames & instrument casea for less than 8 grand each in 1999. Around 2.5K for the ones I bought for my amps .

There ad is SPM Metal Craft,R-21 Ramesh Park,Laxmi Nagar,Delhi-92. Phone-2247169 and 2434135.

I hope that helps!!

Patrick:angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.