Incredible quality amplifier by Graham, prepare your ears for it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hugh, thanks for the reply. I looked at your pre just last night, and I must say, it looks very nice indeed, but with the exchange rate of your AUD against my ZAR (+/- 1:5) it is far too expensive for my shoestring budget at the moment. I need something I can source and assemble as budget allows - something I can build using cheap components (BJT's/J-Fets etc) and my existing parts and PSU.
Schematic anyone?
Thanks anyway,
William.

Hi Graham,
Thanks for the reply. I thought for years that DAC output was sufficient and thus used a good attenuator in place of a pre. However, having heard the tremendous sonic benefits of a decent preamp in my system as opposed to a passive one, I am now looking for a design I can build. Even a simple 3 bjt buffer has produced a marked improvement. (More current = more control?) With voltage gain as well, I can run my active crossover at a more optimal level. If you think of anything or see anything that looks good, please let me know.
Thanks,
William.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
AKSA said:
However, there is still compensation in the circuit, otherwise it could not meet the Bode-Nyquist criteria for stability

Good that we all agree on this. Not sure if Graham does tho.

AKSA said:
but compensation impairs sonics.

I don't know if there is a direct link between the two. Of course, if you used a capacitor large enough to cut into the audioable band, it would impair sonics. But most SS amps with compensation go well beyond what we can hear, I don't see how a reasonably sized capacitor can impair sonics.

Some amps, notably current amps, don't need compensation and I haven't heard of any linkage betweeen their sonic quality and lack of compensation.

AKSA said:
You could also say that Graham's amp achieves 100% stability with extremely low compensation;

We don't know how "extremely low" the compensation needs to be. I have constructed quite a few JLH and the traditional Lin-amps for example and they run flawlessly without any compensation. But once in a while, unplugging the input cable for example will set some of them off.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
On the JLH thread: Well, i was simply amazed at your insistance, in the JLH thread, that the MOSFET output in the JLH amp cannot possibly work, when one is signing in my basement as I type this, and multiple amps with MOSFET output have been built by others. and on top of that, Nelson just published his PLH which uses exactly the same output configuration.

To your credit, you were not alone in that department and other "experts" made the same mistake as well.

Hi All,

Due to the unpleasant experience at being on the end of constantly shifting (supposedly technical) *attacks*, insistent questioning as if I am responsible to him, and the never-ending *personal* insults from tlf9999, as here in Post#444, I am leaving -diyAudio- for good.
I won't even be lurking to take sneaky peeks.

I am not here to discuss the pros and cons of Mosfets in a JLH at jlh9999's whim, so what a shame it is that genuine collegiate interests can be so degenerated in this big headed and inconsiderate way.

With your self claimed expertise maybe you tlf9999 will now look after everybody in this thread.

If I can be of help in regard to genuine bipolar JLH class-A designs and derivatives then anyone may feel free to e-mail me directly at;-

graham.maynard1@virgin.net

GEM details were also posted at;-

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Audio/thegem.htm

I should also be pleased to hear feedback related to the Gem circuit, and again any of its derivatives.

(As I always say - 'time will tell'.)

Good Luck ......... Graham.

Howdy
Mr. Graham Maynard,
Your valuable contributions will missed by many good folks here.

Some folkisms learned at my pappys knee reading the dictionary.

The full form of the proverb 'one bad apple spoils the barrel', meaning that a bad person, policy, etc, can ruin everything around it.

"experts"
The term is widely used informally, with people being described as 'experts' in order to bolster the relative value of their opinion, when no objective criteria for their expertise is available. The term crank is likewise used to disparage opinions. Academic elitism arises when 'experts' become convinced that only they understand their field of study.

Criticism is the activity of judgement or interpretation. Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one.

Truly sorry to see you go. We are all the more poor for it.

Best Regards,
Elvin

Graham Maynard said:
Due to the unpleasant experience at being on the end of constantly shifting (supposedly technical) *attacks*, insistent questioning as if I am responsible to him, and the never-ending *personal* insults from tlf9999, as here in Post#444
I'll guess it's the language barrier. I can't see exactly what the insult consists of.

I'll guess Graham may take a look at this and read. Which item is valid for tlf9999?

Graham,

There is no need to leave the forum, but you must learn to ignore perceived insults. Often they are not intended as such, and since they inflame so readily you'd be doing yourself a big favour by simply not responding. Frequently by taking a deep breath and doing nothing you soon realise that the antagonist was not thinking of you, but rather of himself!! Never underestimate self-interest, or the power of self-congratulation, both are perennial as the grass...... You have the right to choose not to interact precisely as much as you choose to contribute.

You are extremely creative and bright; and you are greatly appreciated by most here. Heck, this thread is a beacon of your creativity and willingness to share! TLF is blunt and combative, but I don't believe he's a bad guy, and he has offered to apologise.

TLF, it's clear to me you enjoy a bit of a spar - your approach is a bit like SE, the transformer man, who is driven to demand rigorous proof of everything. The points I would make are these:

1. This is a forum, not an academic debate.
2. People contribute casually, without any of the high energy proof or rigour required in a business or academic situation.
3. The forum environment is extremely coarse because the normal honorifics and preambles to social discourse are missing, so ambiguity and misunderstanding are the order of the day. Temper your questions and challenges......
4. Most here are justifiably suspicious of someone who gives no bio information in his profile; it indicates that person has no trust in others, and this arouses suspicion about their motives.
5. Barefaced 'stand and deliver' statements from an experienced builder like yourself are often resented by talented designers like Graham, and with good reason; please show due respect. I am an experienced designer, and I regard Graham as one of the best in the world. You would not interact this way with Nelson Pass; we are lucky to have Graham.

Cheers,

Hugh

If there's anything worse than being attacked in this forum, it is being shunned and ignored. No one will reply to anything you might have to say or contribute. Pride goeth before a fall. For starters, pride in itself isn't such a great quality. It also happens to be one of the Seven Deadly Sins.
Take it from one who knows.

Prosit,
acenovelty

Hugh,

Your comments are very thoughtful and ring true.

Mastertech,

Unfortunately, the offer to apologize is insincere. When you sincerely regret having offended or hurt someone, intended or not, you apologize. You don't make it conditional on further evidence. That's just another challenge. And the issue here is not truth vs. untruth, it's an unnecessarily aggressive and personally disrespectful tone and content.

To better days,
Sheldon

I didn't know what it was for

....until now. There is a novel tool available to anyone who chooses. One can click on an individual's name, as if to review their profile. Below that individual's info are three buttons, two of which include "ignore". Selecting one of those buttons masks all posts by that individual. :bfold: Sort of your own private moderator.
I have reservations about doing that...goes against some of my grain...as I'm curious by nature. I know the same fate could happen to me if I behaved in ways that others find offensive. There comes a time however, when enough is enough. I make a choice for a more positive & cooperative atmosphere.

Graham, your generosity and sincerity make you great. Thank you for passing through. Return at any time.

Negative Graham!...you are not alowed to go, as you have combative ancestors

And have the honor obligation to be stand up and figth.

I will be with you....just ignore him, if you perceive that he has not so good intentions...jump over his comments, do not even read.

And be here..... this is your thread!..... i will be here till my last day alive, figthing against those things..... respecting forum rules...i will be educated..will not touch him.

Remember you daddy!..... and march!

regards,

Carlos

Well, here we are again, to tell you that Graham's amplifier sounds great

It will not be ashamed playing in A to B comparison with JLH.

The amplifier is guaranteed by Graham's long time research and experience.

Also my own guarantee of quality, as i used to construct amplifiers for long time also.

And the forum friends that already constructed...go directly to their mails and ask them.

regards,

Carlos

Sheldon said:
Hugh,

Your comments are very thoughtful and ring true.

Mastertech,

Unfortunately, the offer to apologize is insincere. When you sincerely regret having offended or hurt someone, intended or not, you apologize. You don't make it conditional on further evidence. That's just another challenge. And the issue here is not truth vs. untruth, it's an unnecessarily aggressive and personally disrespectful tone and content.

To better days,
Sheldon

Graham-
Hugh and Sheldon have said it well. People like me, who know very little about electronics, rely on people like you, Hugh, Sheldon, etc to learn. Don't let the poor interpersonal skills of a few wreck it for everybody.

SteveA

Jokes aside,tlf is also a great contributor to the forum and his
sincere willingness to appologise should be respected, critisim
is what tlf has expressed if you guys dont want crtisim then
i dont know what good can come from a forum, everyone is
entitle to his view siding one way can take you in one direction only

Graham get over it, nobody wants you to go

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.