Incredible quality amplifier by Graham, prepare your ears for it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I have built a pair of the JLH 10 watt amps with the regulated power supply set at 2 amp bias.
I also have a Sumo amp but it is a Mosfet.
I prefer the JLH and have not used the Sumo since.
If the GEM is truly as you say and I have no reason to doubt it. I now have to build A pair of the GEM amps.
Do I regulate the P.S as a Class A amp, and how many Volt amps should the transformers be rated?
Thanks Serosmaness
I think my JLH amps will not be shot:D

Hi Mastertech,

You might find it funny that subjectivism is deemed more relevent than measurement, but see who is having the biggest laugh because they have good sound !

Besides, the CD medium is potentially flawed anyway, for when it cannot correctly and symmetrically reconstruct all of the most minute dynamic waveform changes we are capable of hearing - it distorts them, and this has nothing to do with 'old ears' or imperfect loudspeakers.
Also few engineers are now free to do their best for audio, ie. to master at levels that will carry least hf distortion. So no matter how good the eventual players, the hf distortion still catches our attention.
Is it then wrong to make the best of what each of our players actually output, and is it wrong for some manufacturers to build in or sell separate tube 'distortion' stages that 'smooth' out that very same hf edginess?
Input filters etc. do no more than make the distortion less unacceptable, and they should be set according to individual sources and personal choice, because few of us will have pockets deep enough for gear that accurately vectors or smoothly reconstructs output on the CDs that are good.

Now it is the case that some amplifiers are less capable of accurately resolving such hf distortion, but these are the ones that also impair the reproduction of recorded detail and positional accuracy. Those of us who like fast amplifiers like the JLH, GEM or Symasym (and there are others) tend to not want to go back to designs that mask the detail and dull transient clarity.

( There was nothing new about the 'Blameless' circuitry when Douglas Self published his articles, all he did was write it up giving an order to the amplitude distortion mechanisms involved. I was already a 'hi-fi' amp repairer and I had already built myself circuits like it, but I had also kept a JLH and a tube amp too. By comparison the 'ultra-low' distortion solid-state designs set up an auditory 'confusion' in relation to detail, so for me it was not just a case of not building the second channels, but as with Carlos, there was a need to be as quick as possible to get my good components out of those things !
Douglas, like far too many other circuit originators, ignored the possibility of loudspeaker circuit/NFB loop induced problems, and thus he failed to cover this aspect within audio amplifier design. Actually it was worse than that because he assumed that increasing the NFB would reduce the problem, which of course it cannot, because it is signal path delays and stabilisation Cs etc. within the amplifier circuit that cause the problem in the first place.
It is about time that designers used their measuring gear correctly, because it is impossible for an analogue circuitry to correct for time delays, and thd measurements are optimised *after* compensating for time delay !!! )

Hi Serosmaness,

There is definitely no need to stabilise the rails supplying the output stage devices, so just keep heat to a minimum.
I had thought about stabilising the supply to the bootstrap bias resistors, ie the 390 plus 820. This could be used to stabilise the class-A bias for the lower output device, but real-life testing has shown that if you re-trim the biases when the amplifier is fully warmed up there is nothing to worry about.
If the amplifier is to be used with unreliable supply voltages that could go high I would suggest that regulating the supply to the bias chain is all that is needed.

Cheers ........ Graham.

My English is worst than my Russian language.

"The very old and defective designs"....are refered to JLH, an ironic form to talk about JLH, as it has enormous distortions (measured) and it is wonderfull to hear.

Now things are more clear Mastertech...old and defective design was not related the Blameless.

I have not too much to say about that subject, just something i perceived alike food without salt in my personnal opinion, of course plenty of subjectivism, perceive it alike no condiment food....very week to my taste.

And i have openned a thread about Blameless, asking guys what they perceive about that design, i told i disliked the sound (received a wonderfull double trigger, pushed same time, double barreled, 150 centimeters long, twelve gauge, double shot...full of awfull pellets.... in the middle of that dirty board (my construction) sending that trash (my dirty board) to the fifth underfloor of the hell!!!....YEAH!

But i asked guys, as i was very confused...because all i read from Doctor made enormous sense, and i lost my direction to follow related amplifiers...something surprised as the feeling that you have when you are stand over some carpet, observing nature and very abstracted related the world and the surrounds, when someone push the carpet, disappearing the floor under your foot...i felt climbing inside the dark hole of ignorance.

I was completelly convinced that the circuit was the "State of the Art"....and not the "rest of the trash" as some guys told (I was never too agressive in words...of course i can think awfull things, but the speech usually is more educated)

If you read, my dear friend... beyong Douglas..... my english is strange .... go reading Blameless thread, please, and you will see that made a question, that i was confused, and needing to confirm my feelings...they told me a lot of interesting things about.... so...i realised that i was not wrong.

So...i cleaned the gun.... made a soft breath into the output tube... the justice tool! and said to myself..."Well done!"... as now a days, the reason of my deception and confusion was vaporised and is travelling to ethernity.

Dragondeux....Je vous compris très bien...i understood you perfectly....this construction, copper side, is very good and fast, also easy to check, as we never know if we gonna give a shot or not in circuits...always better to check before the final construction and the method you choice is very good to that destination.

I am very happy that you have constructed, Graham is someone to trust, he made many, till reach this one's quality.... beeing a result of long time research, errors possibilities are reduced to a very small amount.

No problem related the image..négatif du probléme.(are you in french town?)

Also i made three constructions, and could see it works, even when we made it wrong.

This message, is in part, the starting message....destinated for my aussie friend Mastertech.

regards,

Carlos

Graham GM amplifier

Hi Carlos

Hum...Hum...you have guessed: my first language is french.
i live in Quebec city in the french part of Canada.
I will borrow a camera and show my first JLH prototype, (in use sometime to test against other amps.) the stereo unit that has been in use a long time, the mosfet amp and the GM prototype.

I will go back to work: i was listening to the GM recently!:D

Have a good day :eguitar:

Happy to know you are French speaking, so, Latin language people, as i am

Dragon2, i use those toy cameras, web cameras and they help me a lot.

Of course the image is not so good.... the construction beauty is not so good too....so.....adequated.

I am preparing my "spirit"...too lazy i am those last days because of good cable TV programs and nice subwoofer sound, from Symassym 4 (highly recomended, and AKSA also!)

Will construct a bass mids and treble center... will put one GEM and 2 brand new AKSAs that is arriving next days, a Nirvana Plus Upgraded Kits....ahahaha!...was not easy to make Hugh reduce 5 percent the price..but we did the business....i am afraid i was the only one that could make him reduce..hehe.

I will put inside this Sansui equipment that i have "cleaned" the insides to put enormous GEM heatsinks and under those heat blocks i will fix my boards.

I am thinking to make some kind of step control for volume, as i have many switches.

Aksa is great for high trebles...hi end is wonderfull...yes, i know the Miller cap may triangulated some sinusoidal signal above 60 Kilohertz.... i do not care, as i cannot hear this frequency...and i think a dog cannot too.

The Graham's GEM is perfect for bass and subwoofer too..... all those amplifier are beautifull for full range reproduction, but Symassym is already doing good job using slow speed transistors to drive a sub woofer....i am using passive filtering.... 330N to ground, 1K5 in series and another 330N to ground.... a greek "P" letter.

The supply will be outside, a 1Kilowatt supply and will use fan...one pushing and other pulling air, crossing from rigth to left sides.

I think this system will be unbeatable.... but i know, with better speaker than mine units, our forum friends can reproduce a better sound than mine...i am limited by the speakers.

So, two Aksas producing pretty brigth wonderfull trebles, volume adjusted in steps.... aksas also will reproduce part of hi mids spectrum to show me the wonderfull sound stage.

For voices, i will be hearing the GEM and for bass too.

And Symassym for subwoffer, as it is beeing used now a days.

hard is to make the diy mechanics...drilling and those things...aaagh!....

Well.... really doing it, will show pictures, this is only my test to see if the room will be enougth or not to put all amplifiers, metering circuits, heatsinks and fans.

J'aime la france, et aussi le Canada française, au revoir!
Of course i have nothing against the English culture in Canada too.... wonderfull country!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• diamonds frame.jpg
    diamonds frame.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 784
Buenos tardes senör Carlos!

Hi Carlos

J'aime aussi le Brésil, sa musique et sa culture!
I like particularly Brazillian music rhythm.

Thanks for the photos: you have a nice family!
The most precious thing in life.

How many amplifiers in your system?
Are you tri-amplified with the Aksa in the high, the GM in the medium end in the bass for each channels? With Symassim for the subwoofer?
There is a lot of heat... :hot: :hot:

What kind of speakers do you have?

I plan to get a little digital camera soon to put some GM amplifier photos on the thread.

Tenga un buen día :eguitar:

Hi Graham

Just a question about the GEM: as i use MJ15003/4 output transistors and i have only 3 transistors, is it better when the amp bias is adjusted to short the
0.1 ohm resistors?

Have a good day. :eguitar:

Hi Dragon2,

Good question.
The 0.1 resistors are unlikely to degrade performance. They offer a little additional protection against device failure due to cross-conduction in the event of inadvertently large supersonic input or oscillation, and also assist when measuring the different output half quiescent bias currents.
I would not choose to run without them, though it might yet prove okay when single output devices are being used.

Cheers ........ Graham.

Dragondeux, good Spanish, easy for us, Portuguese speaking people, to understand.

Our speach is not pronunciated this way
Nuestra lengua no és pronunciada asi.
Notre langue est un peu different
Nos não falamos dessa maneira

But is very kind, when we perceive other countries having the kindness to spell some words in our own language, we fast perceive that we are all brothers, and those frontiers, flags, limits and differences are something very animal, one trying to eat the other...power to control.... confort for some countries and a hell for others....those things...awfull waken up nightmare we leave when we make a break to think about those social subjects....And this only happens when i stop to smile...and this is not so common. (my shield against reality)

My intention is to have only stereo system...two channels only, as i have only two ears and those Surroundings seems too much fake to me.... a back left channel and rigth channel can be nice too, when volume there is reduced.... we can make with two channels.

The way i made some tests work fine, as my home is not a perfect environment for sound.... floor is made of Ceramics, the walls with cement, and the ceiling is made with the same material we use to encapsulate broken arms, or broken legs....those ceiling panels, squared with 60 centimeters sides, are fixed one with other result of male to female attachment mode, and also have some vegetable fibers and steel wire suspending those plates related to the concrete ceiling, that corresponds to the upper stage floor...those panels vibrates a lot, and in my case have around 18 Hertz ressonances.... i have also glasses to create reflections....not a good environment, so, making comparison tests, i prefer not to do here, and if i do them here, i check the result with headphones, to avoid all those reflections.

The symassym will amplify sub bass, using passive filters, and big resistor joining channel left and rigth, values tested not to blend too much those channels, avoiding to create a monaural system shorting left to rigth....that signal will go to Mid and low mids to be amplified by graham amplifier.....and this same signal before the filter will go to a second filter to send sub bass to Symassym.... a third and fouth filter will send to Aksa front left and front rigth..

So, it is a stereo, using 4 different amplifiers, the best i could find till those days, related BJT units, and classes A and AB, ... front and center for voices and low mids too (some blend rigth and left signals).... rigth and left with one Aksa to each one...and sub woofer will be behing me downfiring subwoffer, 15 inches 200 watts unit.

The speakers to voices and treble will be used good Bravox drivers that are installed inside some System's Speaker i have here....One is JVC and the other is Philco (yeah, still alive in Brazil).

I will adjust those passive filter during the tests and adjustments, during the installation, to have different adjustments because of different reflexions i will have...and no absortion in my main room...of course i will reduce treble, and voices and will give to bass and low mids more power.... because of my environment, cannot be flat, as will be awfull in my place.

Will be custom filters... adjusting and checking with headphones...and repeating and checking, till have the adequate response, as i have the audiometric waveshape of my ears....i have losses in the rigth ear.... so i have to increase treble rigth side.... all them RLC and series and parallell filter...when ready i will show you diagram.... as i have only some starting idea about it.... a really diy filter, burning fingers and try and error system.

If i was too much confused, ask me again the doubts, i will be happy to talk about those ideas and to have new ones to include in those basic ones.

regards,

au revoir

Par la votre personne, Dragondeux, mon nom c'est Charles

For you, my name is Charles.

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 942
Re: Happy to know you are French speaking, so, Latin language people, as i am

destroyer X said:
Will construct a bass mids and treble center... will put one GEM and 2 brand new AKSAs that is arriving next days, a Nirvana Plus Upgraded Kits....ahahaha!...was not easy to make Hugh reduce 5 percent the price..but we did the business....i am afraid i was the only one that could make him reduce..hehe.

Hugh once told me:

What did Danny DeVito say in 'Ruthless People'? Ah, yes, '...A bad salesman drops his price'!!

:D

Yessss!... my kits arrived, and a separated package to upgrades N plus

Now i will construct my system with brand new kits.

The Silk screen is bigger and easier to read, also the components holes are more precise.

The board colors change a little, and i think they turn more pretty.

I am crazy to assemble and wait some hours running to start listening them.

Oh my God!...those fresh brand news circuits, together GEM will be something hard to describe...not forgeting Symassym 4 pumping strongly the low deep bass, as it is already doing now.

Here is the small Nirvana Plus package adressing, the letter is from Hugh, the King of Australia.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• arrived.jpg
    arrived.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 780
Hi Carlos,

I am absolutely delighted it got through - after all the horrific stories you've told us about dishonesty in your country it warms my heart.......

Peter, I well remember Bette Midler's comment as the kidnappers drop the ransom price; she yells out in her funny way, 'Yikes, I've been kidnapped by K-Mart!!' I loved that movie......

Carlos, thank you for your positive feedback. You see?? It does have its benefits!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Carlos

Just give those little Black Gate NX some time to run in and it can be painful. :(

I almost got to the stage of taking them out as the sound was not consistent but Hugh said to stick with it and be patient. After 150 hours the sound locked in and wow :D ...... I'm glad I did wait as the N+ is a fantastic upgrade for the AKSA55 and a great job by Hugh.

I tried to run them in before putting them in the amp, but had no luck but others have. I think they really need a good load... not that I know anything about caps.

These little devils.

Attachments

• bg nx.jpg
    bg nx.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 661
Yeah Rabbitz...Hugh already told me this component nature.

That we need to wait... i also think this is boering as a hell...but everything he use to say i could check, latter, in the real world...so.... will wait.

Will be waiting.... will be working a day over connected into a load , and will switch off producing some shorts in those components leads...also will make recordings before and after, as this is something new to learn.

In the reality, this is not new.... 40 years ago i could listen that., and more recently a Portuguese friend told me that too....but i keept my mind closed since those early years.

Never is too late to learn..... and i have to thanks God, as there are people that want to teach us some, ... and others that have courage to inform us those strange things.

regards,

Carlos

I thought Hugh would tell you about this.... he's such an honest guy.

I just wanted to make sure that when you first turn it on and listened that you are not expecting the great sound straight away and be disappointed.

It's amazing what the N+ upgrade does to the sound and well worth the wait and price.... you'll hear soon enough Carlos.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.