Ideal fresnel lens for 15" and 17" LCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
top left showing dim corner, and bad focus... You can see where the screendoor kicks in.

Overall I'm actutually blown away that its as clean as it is. I need to get a better screen to improve brightness, but these pics were all taken during the day with my blinds shut- enough ambient light to read a newspaper (just).

The modified triplet is not very good. The image is always slightly blurry. Its way better in this setup unmodified IMHO.

Attachments

• top left.jpg
    top left.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 382
Sorry it took so long. A friend hooked me up with a 46" rear projection TV (not working at the moment though) so I've been diagnosing that and just finished redesigning my projector with the 550mm and 220mm leses from 3D Lens. Measured everything down to the mm and it has given a major improvement over my old lenses. Brightness is way way up. I thought the yellow color in my picture was from the halogen bulb. But I guess it was more from the old fresnels. Even when compared directly to true white it is near spot on now. With my 14" in LCD using the Opaque Projector lens 18" focal the far corners are a tad bit out of focus,but text is 100% readable. (It is just a slight blur) The focus in the middle and for the majority of the picture is flawless though. Every detail is there.

The really strange thing about my LCD (Kogi L4AX from 1994 I think) is that there is no screen door, instead there are just vertical lines, no horizontal ones. (different manufacturing process back then?)

Anyways, with the Endalite opaque projector lens, there is definitely a slight blurring in the corners. Not sure if this lens is the same spec as the ones at diy projo company though. I'll try to get some pictures up later, but for now I'm having too much fun using this. (Typed this message on it etc.) :D

Throw is 12 feet. Improvement is comparing to a pair of pretty old 330mm fresnels. Before if I turned on a lamp the picture disappeared totally. Now I can leave on ambient lighting with no worries. The picture becomes a little yellow tinted from the incandescent bulbs and is a bit harder to see. But is totally watchable. So it is definitely brighter.

probability that dimidiate at two doings,that one arm will been LCD a two arm after lcd.
At this style is attained that lighting passage under angle by 90'pitch
ahead area level.

Amause me you state .
My english is pitiful sory

320mm x 400mm
Item: #F550
Thickness: 1.5mm
Weight: 280 grams
Material: optical acrylic
Groove pitch: 0.2mm (127 grooves per inch)

Attachments

• bim.jpg
    bim.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 176
Hello everyone. I'm new to posting here but I've been lurking for a bit. I found this site after growing increasingly frustrated with my setup from the diyprojectorcompany.com (not to mention the horrendously slow shipping, charges for services I didn't receive, etc).

I found a bunch of useful information here and wanted to give back some information from my experience.

I started with this setup

* 135mm tiplet from diypc
* 2 330mm fresnels from 3dlabs
* 400w metal halide
* Proview PL576WS 15.4'' LCD
* IR and UV glass

Despite too long spent arranging the parts and playing with distances and what not the result was always the same -- bright, focused center and very dark unfocused corners and sides.

After finding this site I decided to give the 550mm fresnel from 3dlabs a shot as the field fresnel. The results were much better than I expected. There is a huge improvement in the brightness uniformity. The corners and sides are still blurry (though it seems they may not be as blurry) but they are very bright. The image went from unusable to watchable for video.

I will try to take some photos this weekend to show the differences. For those having trouble with a similar setup I suggest trying the 550. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) solving the focus problem with lumenlab's pro lens when it is available.

This is the first time in a few weeks that big, ugly, expensive box taking up my living room has done anything besides irk the hell out of me. Good luck and thanks a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.