• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Ian, my stack is currently, ssd, rpi, fifopi, ess dac and iv stage, I'd like to put it in a case 80mm high or less. This means splitting it into two vertical stacks. Could I get away with just using a gpio flex cable between rpi and fifopi? Then I'd be able to make a stack of ssd and rpi and another of fifopi, dac and iv stage, which would fit easily into an 80mm tall case.

Any disadvantages to using the gpio extender cable to link rpi and fifopi, it's only be about 120mm long?

Hi sq225917

I think it should be OK for up to 384KHz. It will not change the sound quality as long as Fifo is locked. Please let me know if you have any update.

Regards,
Ian

Ian, my stack is currently, ssd, rpi, fifopi, ess dac and iv stage, I'd like to put it in a case 80mm high or less. This means splitting it into two vertical stacks. Could I get away with just using a gpio flex cable between rpi and fifopi? Then I'd be able to make a stack of ssd and rpi and another of fifopi, dac and iv stage, which would fit easily into an 80mm tall case.

Any disadvantages to using the gpio extender cable to link rpi and fifopi, it's only be about 120mm long?
Hi
In which way are u using the ssd? With a sata board? Which one?

Hi Ian

Received the ES9038Q2M yesterday and connected to the FifoPi but the DAC didn't locked. Only have the Power LED on. Lock & I2S were on at Fifo. Remove the Fifo and direct connect the DAC with Pi, everything fine and music heard. Please advise what's the problem.

Thanks

Last edited:

Since I was very curious about Gustard's GPLL technology, I asked Gustard directly about it, as shown in the picture below.

S__10485766.jpg

According to Gustard's reply, I understand that the so-called GPLL technology is actually reclock, but it is called FIFO in GUSTARD DDC-U16, and GPLL in GUSTARD DAC-X26. In other words, the DAC-X26 is really just a DAC with a built-in reclock.

In short, my advice is correct, with Ian's reclock and TP's DAC is a better but cheaper combination, but the overall jitter level depends on the jitter of the clock itself. In digital systems, using better clocks, such as pulsar clock, makes more sense than using strange new technologies. The reason is that in digital systems, the only factor you have to consider is the jitter. Many new technologies are easy to generate more extra jitter.

@ofswitched,
The kind of listening you have described is not what I was thinking of. The engineers need to learn how to listen for IMD and noise floor modulation, not bass volume level verses midrange volume level or something like that (which changes due to fletcher-munsen effect). They will need to be trained how to ignore volume change effects. They also have to be taught self-blind testing to keep themselves calibrated. Someone who knows how to do that needs to do the training. Not the same as speaker placement at all.

EDIT: For some tips on how to get started:
Post by me on how to listen, it is #48 in this thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...proving-ak4490-thd-figures-5.html#post5666915

Also, the preliminary part on cymbals is in post #3020 of another thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/294940-fifo-buffer-rpi-sbcs-302.html#post5669890

The kind of listening you have described is a professional skill.

According to my understanding, the so-called distortion is actually a bit like a different person speaking the same sentence. If it is different from the sound of the original recording on the CD, we call it distortion. However, the distortion does not necessarily make people sound bad. Just as someone sings an old song, maybe he can sing more taste than the original singer. In other words, only focusing on lower distortion data, but the sound is what makes most people feel ugly, is a very failed product.

For my Burmester 961, the two driver of the two speakers are facing each other, making the sound of the mid-bass very easy to be disappear, but I just love Burmester 961's unique sound qualities.

Last edited:
According to my understanding, the so-called distortion is actually a bit like a different person speaking the same sentence..

Your understanding is incorrect. Distortion is a complicated thing, some is linear and some is nonlinear. There are different types withing each category. It can be tailored for a particular sound effect, but that is even more advanced than learning how to listen and reduce distortion. I assure you I know designers who can do it all, including add just the right amount of the right kind of distortion to suit a particular market. But, let's not complicate things too much without necessity at this point. The first thing is to learn how to listen for distortion, without that the sound quality of audio equipment coming from China will not improve. It will continue to measure well, at best.

Hi,
Look what I found :)
Raspberry Pi 3B+ modified clock crystal TCXO warm-filled crystal oscillator upgrade crystal oscillator
With some good 3.3V it will deliver clean clock signal to Pi. 19.2Mhz for mothboard and 25Mhz for LAN.
From my experience in upgrading my audio pc motherboard with good clocks (one 25Mhz to H81 chip and another 25Hhz to onboard Lan) + clean linear power to them, that was the most important thing to do to get phase noise out of streamer. More important than clean power to PC itself and/or I2S isolator after USB Xmos + Fifo. Clean power to PC helped, isolator helped to some degree, however the best is to solve the problem and the roots :)
Can't to wait to receve this board :)

Last edited:
From my experience in upgrading my audio pc motherboard with good clocks (one 25Mhz to H81 chip and another 25Hhz to onboard Lan) + clean power to them, that was the most important thing to do to get phase noise of streamer. More important than clean power itself and/or I2S isolator.

On the other hand, I just looked at the measurements of the £15,000 Neodio Origine S2 CD player/DAC that has as a special feature an "analogue clock", as the designer doesn't like crystal clocks. Not only does it have 2600 psec jitter, the absolute clock rate is off by 600 ppm (the CD standard allows a maximum of 200 ppm). Of course it still got great reviews... :)

On the other hand, I just looked at the measurements of the £15,000 Neodio Origine S2 CD player/DAC that has as a special feature an "analogue clock", as the designer doesn't like crystal clocks. Not only does it have 2600 psec jitter, the absolute clock rate is off by 600 ppm (the CD standard allows a maximum of 200 ppm). Of course it still got great reviews... :)

Well it just confirms what I wrote. Reclocking fights jitter (time domain) but does not eliminates onjected phase noise well (frequency domain), hymn maybe isolator does that to some degree. Thus it is important to decrease phase noise coming out from rpi clocks at the root level :) and here you have why "analog clock" have good reviews: not so much preciese, but with either very low phase noise or ears pleasant phase noise.

Last edited:
Well it just confirms what I wrote. Reclocking fights jitter (time domain) but does not eliminates phase noise (frequency domain), well maybe isolator to some degree does that. Thus it is important to decrease phase noise coming out from rpi clocks at the root level :)

My point was more that even if your clock is totally crap, and jitter is all over the place, it doesn't seem to bother audiophiles. :)

My point was more that even if your clock is totally crap, and jitter is all over the place, it doesn't seem to bother audiophiles. :)

Haha. Got it! On the "third" hand then it actually confirms what I wrote that not only jitter (time domain), but also phase noise (frequency domain) are important. Who knows then, maybe this CD just eliminates the latter very well and ... that is why it is ear pleasant and gets good reviews ...

Hi,
Look what I found :)
From my experience in upgrading my audio pc motherboard with good clocks (one 25Mhz to H81 chip and another 25Hhz to onboard Lan) + clean linear power to them, that was the most important thing to do to get phase noise out of streamer. More important than clean power to PC itself and/or I2S isolator after USB Xmos + Fifo. Clean power to PC helped, isolator helped to some degree, however the best is to solve the problem and the roots :)
Can't to wait to receve this board :)
TioFrancotiador,
I do not challenge what you experienced. It is however hard to understand. We are not listening to the Rpi. We are listening to FIFO. I find it hard to conceive how changing the clocks on the pc makes a difference when it is simply filling a buffer. :confused:
Perhaps it is as simple as one more ground plane between the clock and the FIFO? Jitter on the Pi clock should not make any difference. The FIFO is playing asynchronously from the Pi from its own buffer. It has to be due to noise that still gets through isolators??

TioFrancotiador,
I do not challenge what you experienced. It is however hard to understand. We are not listening to the Rpi. We are listening to FIFO. I find it hard to conceive how changing the clocks on the pc makes a difference when it is simply filling a buffer. :confused:
Perhaps it is as simple as one more ground plane between the clock and the FIFO? Jitter on the Pi clock should not make any difference. The FIFO is playing asynchronously from the Pi from its own buffer. It has to be due to noise that still gets through isolators??

What if jitter on the rpi clock violates the bit perfect datastream to the fifopi? Fifopi will not be able to recover data that has not been sent to it.