I hate youtube audio videos

Does anyone remember Prussian Blue, AKA Engineer's Blue?

It was commonly used for milling iron engine blocks or cylinder heads to know when you have removed the minimum amount of metal needed to ensure a flat surface. Also useful when nearly anything is used for scribing a line.....even a sheetrock screw.

When I was a machinist and also when an inspector I used it by the case.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Interweb is a wonderful place. Once you've gotten to be a grumpy old know-it-all you don't have to be grumpy alone. You can find a group of equally grumpy old farts who will join you in ranting about all those idiots out there, kids these days and the evils of InstaTwit and FaceTube.

No need for a rest home, a porch, a town square. It's right here at our fingertips and global. Ain't technology marvelous? :up:

Wait - I gotta go yell at some kids to get off my lawn!!

Not even need to mix anything :) , just expose metal surface to a greasy wick flame.

I used soot mixed with burnt car oil to paint metallic silhouette targets for shooting practice, silvery lead splatters are easy to see from 25 meters away and after you empty a clip, revolver drum or shotgun tube on them, just a swipe with a brush and they are as black as new.

Does anyone remember Prussian Blue, AKA Engineer's Blue?

It was commonly used for milling iron engine blocks or cylinder heads to know when you have removed the minimum amount of metal needed to ensure a flat surface. Also useful when nearly anything is used for scribing a line.....even a sheetrock screw.

Yep, that stuff is still used to mate precision surfaces (e.g. machine ways) during scraping. Its chief virtue is its ability to transfer to the unmarked surface so that the density and consistency of the contact points can be judged and adjusted. Here's a (*cough*) YouTube video of a scraping class taught by someone who knows what he's doing.

"Dykem" is more suitable for general layout work as it dries and doesn't smudge (well, not as badly anyway). It can be ordered online through the usual outlets, but you can just as easily pick up a bottle at Fastenal or your local sheet metal/industrial supplier. Just the ticket for everything from the machine work you described to laying out an amplifier chassis. If it's just a small job it's usually easier to scribble over the area with a Sharpie before marking.

Being descended from a long line of machinists I likewise cringe at people in some of these videos doing things like using calipers to mark the workpiece. The additional effort and cost it takes to do the job properly is so small that I can only conclude that they're either ignorant or lazy. It's simply a poor habit and one of the reasons most machinists won't lend their tools to anybody.

While I'm at it, choose your favorite clickbait title below (or create your own):

• "He used my Mitutoyo calipers to pick his nose. You won't believe what happened next!"
  • "Monarch lathe discovered in King Rootintootin's tomb after 2,500 years. Will it run?"
  • "Bridgeport milling machine made from 15,000 Diet Faygo cans!"

Last edited:
The Interweb is a wonderful place. Once you've gotten to be a grumpy old know-it-all you don't have to be grumpy alone. You can find a group of equally grumpy old farts who will join you in ranting about all those idiots out there, kids these days and the evils of InstaTwit and FaceTube.

No need for a rest home, a porch, a town square. It's right here at our fingertips and global. Ain't technology marvelous? :up:

Wait - I gotta go yell at some kids to get off my lawn!!

I guess I'm being told I'm a grumpy old man. I guess your right on that matter. However I thought I was ok with my subject matter since it didn't cover politics or religion. Wait! its under the "almost anything."

Sorry, it won't happen again.

It took me almost a year to "unlearn" Australian and learn proper English , go figure.

Speaking "proper" English is a bit contentious.
London, Newcastle Liverpool, Birmingham, Yorkshire and Cornwall all have quite different accents.

I am Cumbrian and even that is different.
Cumbrian saying "Ever sin a cuddy lowp a bar barred yat?"
"Even seen a donkey jump a 5 barred gate?"
Even within Cumbria there are different accents.

Looks like you’ve burnt your fingers. Again. :D
Hey, I don’t think that is what Pano meant. A lot of grumpy old farts around here anyway. Me included.

I really enjoy this thread and coming back to the title - I hate youtube audio videos too. The camera floating around a room showing some hifi equipment from different angles while the author’s favourite song is playing. How boring and it does not showcase or prove anything in terms of SQ

Account Closed
Joined 2018
:eek:

Attachments

• fiber supp.JPG
    fiber supp.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 146
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I guess I'm being told I'm a grumpy old man. I guess your right on that matter. However I thought I was ok with my subject matter since it didn't cover politics or religion. Wait! its under the "almost anything."

Alas, it did happen again. This time you went for the jugular in post #3 in this thread:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/378652-6sq7-el34-video-build-series.html#post6832629

Stephe is creating a very useful video set that the average beginner tube-enthusiasts (with average beginner tool sets) could easily follow. I’m sure helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm assuming you are talking about my assembly video series for an ebay EAR834 clone project. Sorry that you were so offended, but you really should stop short of assigning ill will and monetary scamming motivations without any proof. I make it abundantly clear I have no engineering degree, I'm not a professional, and that I am just a hobbyist who enjoys working on and learning about electronics.

If you had ever made instructional videos for novices, you would know trying to explain a process to an audience, many of whom has never done anything like this, takes a lot longer than doing it off camera. Part of the purpose for my videos is not training people to be professional fabricators, but instead showing people they don't need a large set of tools, or experience in metal working, to do a one off project like this. Most of this can likely be done with tools they already own and I specifically avoid using specialty tools unless I really feel it will impact the final result. And yes I do know what a nibbler is and have used them before, just chose to do this another way that might be slower, but is safer for a novice and is mostly unseen anyway.

Also none of my YT channel is monetized nor has any advertising, I am just trying to share my enjoyment of this hobby with others. I've actually spent a lot of my own money and time doing this, with no expectation of making a profit. As someone else noted, this is such a niche audience, no one is going to go "Viral" making a DIY tube amplifier video. I think it is also safe to assume none of you have taken the time to make instructional videos.

And until you personally test the sonic difference between a fake, made in China, "ERO" coupling cap they throw in these kits vs something like a $15 Mundorf foil cap, you might want to check your attitude at the door. I've explained in the past that spending more than the base level Mundorf alum/oil caps is a waste of money. But I personally do like the way these sound and they aren't that expensive. In my next video, which is a long term listening review, I explain how I really don't like the way the one Miflex cap I tried sounds, and to just use a cheaper Mundorf. I have made multiple videos exposing scam, snake oil products, yet you are here accusing me of promoting them, shame on you.

And again, I'm sorry if my construction techniques don't rise to your professional levels, I'm just a hobbyist playing around in my basement. I'm actually very proud of the things I have built, both for how they look and sound, and don't imagine other people would feel they need to hide them on a lower shelf of their garage. Should I also be ashamed that I have inspired some people to try something new, they didn't think they could do before?

BTW since you questioned my motivation and integrity here and on other threads, why don't you explain to everyone what your motivation is for personally attacking and ridiculing me like this is.

Attachments

• Pre-amp.jpg
    Pre-amp.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 6SQ7.jpg
    6SQ7.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
The trouble with hobbyists, putzers, backyard mechanics, and other non-professionals is that posting things like electronic projects on YouBoob is in a way dangerous to others.
Even though the author/contributor clearly states they are not experienced in electronics, it doesn't always sink in to some people.
For instance, a curious youngster, teenager, might be impressed and attempt doing something that is clearly dangerous, and could wind up injured or worse.
That's the trouble with YouTube, although hardly anybody takes notice of such potential disasters.
The element of virtual entertainment and curiosity about something is uncontrollable.

So your answer is to keep this all to yourself and inform others "I am the only one smart enough to be doing this". Yeah lets make sure a curious teenager is pushed away. That's sure the vibe I get from this forum, old men threatened someone might pull the curtain back and show this isn't the rocket science they tell you it is.

BTW I've done multiple tube electronics safety videos and have warnings when I am going to be checking voltages on how dangerous this can be etc.

What have you done to bring the next generation into this hobby? A bunch of grouchy old men shaking sticks at people sure isn't doing it. The "professionals" have posted in this thread, they have no interest in investing the time it takes to do this, even folks who make money selling kits etc.

Stephe AKA "the putzer"

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
So your answer is to keep this all to yourself and inform others "I am the only one smart enough to be doing this". Yeah lets make sure a curious teenager is pushed away. That's sure the vibe I get from this forum, old men threatened someone might pull the curtain back and show this isn't the rocket science they tell you it is.

BTW I've done multiple tube electronics safety videos and have warnings when I am going to be checking voltages on how dangerous this can be etc.

What have you done to bring the next generation into this hobby? A bunch of grouchy old men shaking sticks at people sure isn't doing it. The "professionals" have posted in this thread, they have no interest in investing the time it takes to do this, even folks who make money selling kits etc.

Stephe AKA "the putzer"

Sorry, but your attitude isn't turning me on.
And I see from other threads the same attacks.

Further, your comments that I highlighted here in bold give people a sense that you're combative... thus the attitude you show.
And furthermore, NO, I didn't give an "answer" as you suggest, you're putting words in my mouth for whatever reason you seem to justify.
I was making previous statements that I felt was reasonably accurate, and have actually happened.. to "curious teenagers".

You..... gave yourself the name putzer, I didn't.

You're indeed obviously young.... and quite snotty.
And by the way, the lame and loose use of "Rocket Science" was worn out in the 90's.
Us guys in the service shop would sometimes joke about guys like you using that term.

Sorry, but your attitude isn't turning me on.
And I see from other threads the same attacks.

So some internet jerk makes a whole thread (On a members only channel he assumed I wouldn't see), accusing me of being a scam artist, multiple other personal attacks about my ability and intelligence, going in overdrive to ridicule me, you jump in defending him and then act shocked at how I respond? As a woman, I've spent most of my life dealing with jerks like him putting me down. It does get really old.

So then back on topic, why aren't you making videos to help people, if you want to police who does? Basically you are telling me I shouldn't be. If you are so concerned about teenager's safety, where are your warning videos? Without ANY instruction, they are gonna open up their friends guitar amp poking around and end up dead. And like it or not, "kids today" look up stuff on YouTube and Instagram.

And I couldn't honestly care less if you like my attitude. :troll: