I hate youtube audio videos

One day back in grad school, the university water ski club was having difficulty locating a vehicle to tow the boat 7 miles from the on campus storage facility to the lake. Both of the cars we usually use were out doing something more important, so we were stuck using an EV converted Ford Ranger pickup. This was back in 1995, when battery technology SUCKED - and we were towing a Mastercraft with it. We knew this was going to be a problem so we brought the generator with us so we could charge it while we skied till the sun went down. There’s no way we could have made it back if we didn’t have the generator with us. Even after charging for 3 or 4 hours, the battery was on fumes when we brought the truck back to the charging station. Another quarter mile and we would have been pushing it.

It was a happy ending then, those generators are very useful, no doubt.
If my back looks good after surgery, am I in time to do one of these ? :D

Descalzos en el Verano con Avioneta y Lancha - YouTube

Sort of defeating the purpose of the university EV program - having to use a high-pollution Briggs and Stratton to charge it. But you use what you have and it was the only vehicle on hand with a hitch strong enough for a 3500 pound boat. Hell, we didn’t even know if it would get us there before going dead.

Dunleavy would have had out ***** if that little stunt had gone south on us.

One day back in grad school, the university water ski club was having difficulty locating a vehicle to tow the boat 7 miles from the on campus storage facility to the lake. Both of the cars we usually use were out doing something more important, so we were stuck using an EV converted Ford Ranger pickup. This was back in 1995, when battery technology SUCKED - and we were towing a Mastercraft with it. We knew this was going to be a problem so we brought the generator with us so we could charge it while we skied till the sun went down. There’s no way we could have made it back if we didn’t have the generator with us. Even after charging for 3 or 4 hours, the battery was on fumes when we brought the truck back to the charging station. Another quarter mile and we would have been pushing it.

The only thing that takes more energy than towing a Mastercraft is driving it. Those boats are one of the few things less efficient than a Hummer. There was a guy near me who bought one a while back. Had something like a 450 HP engine in it.

At one point he got into a race with a local A-scow doing a downwind run under spinnaker in big wind. Waves were about 4 feet high. I don't remember the exact number, but I think he said he was burning about 30 gallons per hour. He still couldn't keep up.

Now when we consider the price and lifespan of sails... I suspect he was still well ahead on the $/mile scale.

4 foot waves are awful difficult to ski on - ask anyone who’s trying to get a slalom run in when there are *any* wakeboard boats out there. Might as well go home. And in those windy conditions you don’t even try.

I had the little 275hp base model engine in mine. Don’t need more for slalom. And you don’t spend *that long* at 34.2 mph at any one time. The rest of the time you stay anchored and out of the way. Two or three people’s bodies run out of gas long before the boat does. It still cost less in gas than paying 10 bucks a pull - may be up to 50 these days. It would cost a *fortune* just cruising all weekend - but that’s not what it’s for. Bottom is way too flat - will just beat you to hell out in the open water.

For the longest time I didn't realize that the comments on youtube videos were often so edited and controlled. I knew that people would delete ones that were belligerent or were only posted to try to link people to their stuff. But over time I've seen that on many channels if it isn't a 'you are the most amazing ever!!!' comment then it gets removed.
For a visitor to the channel it then looks like the person in the video must really know what they are doing.

I've seen that youtube is going to do away with the downvote count too.

When I'm looking for a video to show me how to do something I always look at the upvotes vs downvotes to get a feel for how correct other people think the instructions are.

I also like seeing discussions between viewers that agree and ones that disagree with what is shown. I often learn more in those arguments than in the video. I get it if people are over-the-top rude but when the channel removes any dissenting opinion it loses the discussion in favor of just feeling worshiped.