I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who needs those, when we can have unending chatter instead:confused:
In any case, unless there's been a derailment, I'm fairly certain jneutron is on the LCR train for "sound" factors.
I know, I know, boooorrrring....;)

Yah, that techno-goop is soooo boring.

Having recently returned, I still see that there are quite a few people who pretend understanding but yet refuse to discuss intelligently even the simple concepts which are obvious to the most casual of observers..

When asked to participate in a technical dialogue, respond "why should I"??

I chided my children for responses such as that. They no longer do that as they have matured to the point where they now engage in discussion.

Cheers, John

Its just common sense and its the reason they use placebos in drug testing all the time.

That is a common misconception, but not true.

They use placebos because the vast majority of people are sensitive to subconscious suggestion. But that's a much more conservative observation than claiming that there are no exceptions as Charles Darwin has done.

That is also incorrect. Very few people outside that field of research understand how these clinical trials are conducted.

Having recently returned, I still see that there are quite a few people who pretend understanding but yet refuse to discuss intelligently even the simple concepts which are obvious to the most casual of observers..

This thread is moving too fast, thanks for your earlier posts on the parallel ground paths formed by interconnects and power cords. These 'useless' discussions brought me to the same realization a long while back and resulted in a significant changes to my system, among them a pre-amp with isolated floating outputs and a single, large central power distro bar to minimize the ground return lengths. I like it.

Is it always the same electrons that flow around in a circle between the amp and the speaker? Or do fresh ones come in from the power supply?

What flows from the amp to the speaker is electrical energy, not electrons. The individual electrons move through the wires very slowly (referred to as the "drift velocity") but the signal moves very quickly.

In a DC current, the electrical energy travels at nearly the speed of light, but the electrons themselves move at a seriously slower rate -- effectively a few feet per HOUR (really).

In an AC current, like the signal going to the speakers, the polarity keeps reversing so the electrons never get very far before going back the other direction. Basically, most of the electrons in your speaker wire are the same electrons that were in there when the wire was manufactured.

Just like sound in air. Sounds can certainly get from your loudspeakers to your ears without the same air molecules travelling across the room. The signal travels -- just like waves in water -- but the air doesn't really need to.

thanks for your earlier posts on the parallel ground paths formed by interconnects and power cords. These 'useless' discussions brought me to the same realization a long while back and resulted in a significant changes to my system, among them a pre-amp with isolated floating outputs and a single, large central power distro bar to minimize the ground return lengths. I like it.

You are welcome. It is nice to hear that others benefited from my endless blathering..;)

Most would be suprised to hear that machines which cost 10e9 USDollars also suffer these issues unless the EE's figger it out foist..:eek:

Cheers, John

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What flows from the amp to the speaker is electrical energy, not electrons. The individual electrons move through the wires very slowly (referred to as the "drift velocity") but the signal moves very quickly.

In a DC current, the electrical energy travels at nearly the speed of light, but the electrons themselves move at a seriously slower rate -- effectively a few feet per HOUR (really).

In an AC current, like the signal going to the speakers, the polarity keeps reversing so the electrons never get very far before going back the other direction. Basically, most of the electrons in your speaker wire are the same electrons that were in there when the wire was manufactured.

Just like sound in air. Sounds can certainly get from your loudspeakers to your ears without the same air molecules travelling across the room. The signal travels -- just like waves in water -- but the air doesn't really need to.

Nice analogies.

jd

And how does that answer the question about audibility? I've measured some amps with a lot of hum and noise, but mostly its not a problem. It just seems to me that your points, while I don't doubt their validity, seem somewhat academic.

Sorry, he can't answer you without going into the details of quantum mechanics. I guess not everybody is able to express himself, even a child could understand.

Best, Markus

Looks like you're not aware of the implications when talking about innate and acquired abilities.

Is there any point to these trite sideswipes? Adults hear height in a way that in normal English usage is appropriate to describe as innate, but if your sensibilities are upset by its inapplicability to specific fields of child development will 'natural' meet your approval? Just a head's up, in the loudspeaker forums members use the term 'volume', as in H x L x D, another physical attribute toddlers learn, without noting the proper child development jargon. You might want to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.