I AM D v200, Fx Audio d802, optimisation and TPA3116

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ah. I was wondering why you hear this noise when I hear nothing.

I listen through co-ax spdif rather than optical myself, although I don't remember any noise on optical from the time I tested it and, logically I wouldn't expect a difference.

If you have the volume turned up to max that would explain it though as you would be applying very high gain to background noise, I suspect you are using software volume control at the source (which severely impairs s/n ratio) then amplifying it to the max afterwards. Best would be to supply 0db signal from the source (i.e. no attenuation). If you really absolutely must apply source attenuation then I'd say first supply 0db and adjust the amp to whatever represents your loudest required listening level. Then leave it at that setting (probably this will be around 20) and apply your source digital attenuation as needed leaving the amp set at 20.

If I lower the source volume its getting worse.
I have to max it.
;)
Its sounds fantastic but not in the dynamic.
And I cant do anything....
To bad.

Yes?
Source at max as I sad?
Lower that=more noise.

Great. But, for any vaguely normal equipment, it makes no sense when you say you have digital source at max and the amp at max and you are close to the speakers.

What is your source? What sensitivity are your speakers? Is the music recorded close to 0db on peaks? Are you actually sending 0db from your source?

Solve, the terms "MIN/MAX/01-10" are all relative.
When using a computer as a digital transport, you should be aiming for bit-perfect output.
With Linux this is achieved with a simple configuration file. With Windows it can get messy.

It would help if you tell us your operating system and music playback application. Also, is the toslink connector attached to the motherboard, or is it part of a separate sound card?

Solve, the terms "MIN/MAX/01-10" are all relative.
When using a computer as a digital transport, you should be aiming for bit-perfect output.
With Linux this is achieved with a simple configuration file. With Windows it can get messy.

It would help if you tell us your operating system and music playback application. Also, is the toslink connector attached to the motherboard, or is it part of a separate sound card?

Win 10.
Computer-USB to ES9018K2-Toslink-FX d802.
Computer volume at max,getting no better if I turn it down and higher the d802.Same noise at low level.

USB to ES9018K2
OK, your USB receiver (not the ES9018K2) will be generating the s/pdif output. Is your unit XMOS? Maybe from DIYINHK?
I'm only familiar with Windows 8, but I did a Google search for "Windows 10 bit perfect" and this link looks promising-
Question regarding bitperfect playback in Windows 10
The critical settings appear to be -
- On the "Levels" tab the volume and L&R balance should both be set to 100%
- On the "Enhancements" tab "disable all enhancements" should be checked.
- On the "Advanced" tab both boxes under "exclusive mode" should be checked.

... but bit-perfect playback success can vary depending on what music playback application you are using, and you still haven't told us what yours is.
Foobar, for instance, has its own software volume control, and it would be intuitive to think that "100%" is correct, but this is not certain.
There are various reports on the web that for bit-perfect output from Foobar you need to use its ASIO output plugin, and if your USB interface is XMOS, this is certainly possible. More information here -
How to run Bit Perfect in foobar tutorial

OK, your USB receiver (not the ES9018K2) will be generating the s/pdif output. Is your unit XMOS? Maybe from DIYINHK?
I'm only familiar with Windows 8, but I did a Google search for "Windows 10 bit perfect" and this link looks promising-
Question regarding bitperfect playback in Windows 10
The critical settings appear to be -
- On the "Levels" tab the volume and L&R balance should both be set to 100%
- On the "Enhancements" tab "disable all enhancements" should be checked.
- On the "Advanced" tab both boxes under "exclusive mode" should be checked.

... but bit-perfect playback success can vary depending on what music playback application you are using, and you still haven't told us what yours is.
Foobar, for instance, has its own software volume control, and it would be intuitive to think that "100%" is correct, but this is not certain.
There are various reports on the web that for bit-perfect output from Foobar you need to use its ASIO output plugin, and if your USB interface is XMOS, this is certainly possible. More information here -
How to run Bit Perfect in foobar tutorial

I tried to run it with the Generic ASIO in Foobar, same hiss.
And everything is at 100% on the computer.
Well, not a big thing just surprised its there.

Another question - what are these numbers?

I had assumed you were referring to the D802 volume settings but that (from memory) runs 1->100 and you did say you had the amp at max, not min.
Yes,the volume setting at D802, normal listening for me is 04.

It seems that there is something wrong with the Windows 10-XMOS combination, either a configuration issue or perhaps even that the XMOS driver is not playing well under Windows 10.
To confirm that the problem exists solely with this particular hardware setup, I think you should temporarily connect some other form of spdif device to the amplifier, and check that this then plays with sensible volume settings. Try a standard CD player or DVD player.

It seems that there is something wrong with the Windows 10-XMOS combination, either a configuration issue or perhaps even that the XMOS driver is not playing well under Windows 10.
To confirm that the problem exists solely with this particular hardware setup, I think you should temporarily connect some other form of spdif device to the amplifier, and check that this then plays with sensible volume settings. Try a standard CD player or DVD player.

Good idea!Goint to test that tomorrow.

Solve have you tried USB straight to the D802?

Yes.

Just got FX D802c. It sounds nice, but i hear some hiss too. My Cyrus amp is silent in comparison. At longer distances it is not noticeable too much, but listening nearfield it's there. I connected it via USB. Bluetooth seems more silent, but it has some strange sounds from time to time it seems. Speakers are 86db, volume level was mostly between 10 and 25. Will be checking more tomorrow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.