Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they aren't NCore, but does anyone know what the data format is for the DSP control software to run the Hypex AS2.100? I have several driver measurements in FRD format, not sure how or if I can convert this. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe I read they take impulse response data, but no idea how to get it formatted correctly for the AS2.

Best,

Erik

Yesterday put a very high quality 12AT7 buffer on the input of the NC400, it was very nice indeed. Maybe not accurate, but it worked nicely. I have seen measurements where one stage's spectral distortion was measured and it went through another stage (line stage) and made changes to the same measurement that made it look different but did not actually add distortion in THD terms (already low), which is crazy because it was the line stage that was being measured. Yes, the distortion of the line stage was changed by the input/source. This was done by the late Allen Wright many years ago. So what is accurate? Good question.

But most people have to put a source before the NC400, so it will always be seeing something and people choose sources (and sauces too :)) because of what they like, and what they hear too. And that's OK, right? :)
I use a Leben preamp (phono 12AT7, line 6CG7) in front of my NC400s. Sounds great and has almost cured me from loving tube poweramp distortion :) Only issue is that I have faar to much gain for my effective Altec 604 speakers and I lose a fair amount of resolution/detail if I use the attenuated output on my Leben.

I use a Leben preamp (phono 12AT7, line 6CG7) in front of my NC400s. Sounds great and has almost cured me from loving tube poweramp distortion :) Only issue is that I have faar to much gain for my effective Altec 604 speakers and I lose a fair amount of resolution/detail if I use the attenuated output on my Leben.

Sounds like you need a NC500 based amp and just bypass the buffer. The best buffer is no buffer if you don't need it. I find a straight PCB trace is quite transparent :)

Best to use those calibrated measurement microphones on each side of your head. If they are out of calibration, I wouldn't expect selling too many amps :)

Well, as we know, I am just a robot, so fro me it is easy to ensure proper calibration. Too bad that is less easy to do for flesh-and-blood humans. The irony is that the imperfections of the human brain actually creates the illusion of a well calibrated system (despite reality).

OK, how about getting back on topic (hypex ncore, in case nobody remembers any more)?

Well, as we know, I am just a robot, so fro me it is easy to ensure proper calibration. Too bad that is less easy to do for flesh-and-blood humans. The irony is that the imperfections of the human brain actually creates the illusion of a well calibrated system (despite reality).

OK, how about getting back on topic (hypex ncore, in case nobody remembers any more)?

Yes Ncore, and how the only way it will have a chance of taking over the world is by allowing it to sound like people want it to.

I know they aren't NCore, but does anyone know what the data format is for the DSP control software to run the Hypex AS2.100? I have several driver measurements in FRD format, not sure how or if I can convert this. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe I read they take impulse response data, but no idea how to get it formatted correctly for the AS2.

I think ds23man is your friend.

Have you considered lowering the gain of the nc400's by changing or removing R141?

Have you considered lowering the gain of the nc400's by changing or removing R141?
Yes I have. The thing is I dont like fiddling with the surface mount components. I might have to revert to original gain at a later date. bavmikes suggestion of getting a NC500 and bypassing the buffer or use buffer with 0 gain could be an option.

Last edited:
Yes I have. The thing is I dont like fiddling with the surface mount components. I might have to revert to original gain at a later date.

Fair enough - the SMD resistor can be a bit fiddly to solder.

Getting a NC500 and bypassing the buffer could be an option or use buffer with 0 gain.

That does sound like a somewhat drastic solution to a simple gain issue.

Whats the difference between 2xSMPS600 for 2xNC400 modules vs using 1xSMPS1200A400 for driving 2xNC400?

an SMPS600 is the same price as the SMPS1200, is there any reason for the higher cost of the 2xSMPS600 soultion?

This has been covered... but....

The 600 has a secondary supply that allows lower heat dissipation on the NC400 board, where the 1200 lacks this. Beyond that there's not a ton of reason, besides some very slight possible advantages of the dual 600 setup for noise/crosstalk/dynamic performance.

I use a Leben preamp (phono 12AT7, line 6CG7) in front of my NC400s...Only issue is that I have faar to much gain...

I actually wanted a bit more gain and tried 1K in parallel with R141 and left it like that before I sent the NC400 back to the client today.

I agree with Julf and others, removing R141 is the way to go. I am sure that you could find a competent tech to do it - it is actually even easier to remove an SMD resistor than fitting it back.

Cheers.

PS: Noted the Norsk flag - I have a brother in Kongsvinger. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.