Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know which is better and the preferred method, I was just curious if there was a proper way to do it with both. Not everyone has XLR connections or converter cables.

I personally have balanced outputs on my dac so that isn't the issue, I will be running balanced. I simply was looking at the option of putting both in case I let a friend try them or if I got into a jam where my dac broke and rca was the only option to hook up to another piece of equipment. Which coincidentally is the predicament i'm in right now with a broken amp and had to run rcas out to an old amp

If putting both in some sort of proper fashion is not do able, then I will just put the balanced obviously.

Robbbby

More reason to stick with XLR sockets on your precious NCore amps if you lend them out.....imagine by accident your 'friend' connects his pre to power RCA to the power amp with everything switched on and that live pin on the phono plug hits before the return!!! OW! XLR's stop this happening.

A pair of Viablue leads is about $200 Canadian shipped from Europe, have a look on their website and see who they sell through in Canada. Or make up a pair of 'loan out' adapter leads for much less. Parts ConneXion - The authority on hi-fi DIY parts and components are very good and they are in your backyard.

Good luck with the NCores

I finally got my ncores up and running!

First impression is that they sound wonderful all over. Even the bass is very good!
Can't say they sound sterile at all.

Excellent value, can't believe they're that cheap for what you get!

But I think my class A-amp is a tiny bit clearer, I'll have to listen some more.

Do you mind sharing what Class A amps? Speaker efficiency?

Look forward to your more detailed observations. What does your signal path look like? Source, pre, etc.

Computer (linux with mpd for those who care) via Stello U3 or some old CD-player via coax -> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 -> nCore.

Will probably post a more detailed impression this weekend. :)

WOW. You've "made" money on this deal.
Hehe, I probably won't sell the Accuphase anyway. It's a nice oven!

Yay, the modules have arrived at last :)

Just when I was about to post my comparison against my Aleph Js I found the non-disclosure agreement in the box so no review from me :shutup:

Just kidding, I just haven't assembled them yet ;)

I'm considering if I should hookup the assembled F5 I have lying around on some random heatsink and compare against that too, might be fun but that would be more work to do an I'm lazy :D

Yay, the modules have arrived at last :)

Just when I was about to post my comparison against my Aleph Js I found the non-disclosure agreement in the box so no review from me :shutup:

Just kidding, I just haven't assembled them yet ;)

I'm considering if I should hookup the assembled F5 I have lying around on some random heatsink and compare against that too, might be fun but that would be more work to do an I'm lazy :D

Do not pass go....do not collect $200.....proceed directly to hooking up those NCores and comparing them to the Aleph J's....:D

These are what came with my JRDG model 2. Just without the heat shrink logo.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/product1074.html

Yup

They're neat and do the job. I've used the Neutrik versions of the same type and also Neutrik Profi RCA plugs which make the ground connection first with a retractable, spring loaded outer shell. Saves all the loud, heart stopping amplified buzzes.

Today my ncores finally arrived and I built them into two enclosures from modushop.biz (Galaxy GX148).

Here are two pictures:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The sound is realy amazing. My previous amp was a DIY Class A 100 W (Erno Borbely).

The ncore seem to have no problem to control the speakers.

Listening to a fine ECM album is realy a great pleasure. It is very impressiv to listen very quiet or very loud. The microcontrast is astonishing. As I am a hobby photographer I would say it is like a Zeiss lens on my Hassi.

The modules are dead silence.

My system:

Mac mini (Amarra) > DIY DAC > passiv switch > Ncore > DIY Minuetta (biwire).

Now it is time to listen again. Many thanks to Hypex for this fine amp.
I suppose this is my last amp, the first I built 1966 with germanium transistors (AD 126).

Regards
Bruno

@ get-lit I am 61 and have an EE degree.

Last edited:
Accuphase A-60 and 91dB.

That`s not a fair comparison, the A -60 is a fantastic AMP in a class of it`s own and the price tag is 20 times higher, than the Hypex Ncore :) But if you should decide to part with the A-60 at a reasonable price I might be interested :D
:eek: Just kiddin I`ll just keep on dreaming ;)

I`ve just got the Ncore modules and SMPS 600 up and running on a test board together with ZAP4EVER ! Been playing 2 hours at very low volume using my Iphone as source !

Plan to hook it up with a more serious source later on tonight :hphones:

Status
Not open for further replies.