• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trial done:

Without ribbon
Just one psu for one module
Switch S1
Amp enable via J4

No ready status....

Voltare seems correct and also cable,only doubt is related to flat cable but in theory you can turn them on just by H+ H- and GND by just using S1....

The ready status came when amp is activated or with input signal and load?

Anyone can confirm me the J4 pin out ?

I must say he should have used some beefier speakers to review a 700WPC amp though. Something that would be a much better match and take advantage of the ultra low output impedance, and high damping factor.

It's not a 700 WPC amp.
The 700 W is peak power at 4 ohm load impedance.
Continuous power rating, which is the norm, is one fifth of peak power as specified by Hypex.
So it's more a 100 - 150 WPC amp.
The advantage of ultra low output impedance and high damping factor, which actually are the same, has never been confirmed to be that important wrt the loudspeaker interface.

It's not a 700 WPC amp.
The 700 W is peak power at 4 ohm load impedance.
Continuous power rating, which is the norm, is one fifth of peak power as specified by Hypex.
So it's more a 100 - 150 WPC amp.
The advantage of ultra low output impedance and high damping factor, which actually are the same, has never been confirmed to be that important wrt the loudspeaker interface.

Well seems like there's 100 different standards which amp power specs are rated. Very few rate with a true continuous spec. Either way using a big 3/4 way speaker with dual 10, or 12" woofers and 86dB/1w/1m efficiency, would have done the amp more justice. Then he could do the comparison with the Crayon and Job and see what's superior. :)

When they do reviews of massive Soulution or Pass amps they don't use puny little 2 ways and talk about how the damping is excessive.

Well seems like there's 100 different standards which amp power specs are rated. Very few rate with a true continuous spec.

Well I know, or better take seriously, only one standard, which is continuous power at specified load impedance.
All other standards are meant to present results better than they are in reality.
Hypex is perfectly clear in this regard.
Much has to do with cooling capacity; did you already read Hypex' white paper on this subject to enhance your knowledge?

Well I know, or better take seriously, only one standard, which is continuous power at specified load impedance.
All other standards are meant to present results better than they are in reality.
Hypex is perfectly clear in this regard.
Much has to do with cooling capacity; did you already read Hypex' white paper on this subject to enhance your knowledge?

The max current output tells a better story. Any competently built amp will have proper cooling. So not really an issue.

I guess (hope) you mean max continuous current output, which is the same as continuous max output referred to load impedance.

The max is a good enough reference point. NC 500's are 28 amps, NC 1200's 38 amps. The Soulution 501 are 45 amps.

soulution 501 Monoamplifier

If that isn't enough you might have to endure the painful process of actually listening to them to see if they meet your needs. OR I suppose if you have enough money you can send all of the potential amps you're considering out for independent testing before allowing them into your listening room.

Very likely enough, but very seldom necessary.
The rare low efficiency loudspeakers which dip down to 2 ohm in the lower register will benefit from good amplifier current capability.
But it's merely a specification; sound quality can not be declared by just this ability. More factors are at stake.
By the way I auditioned a Nord 500 amplifier; it's a great amp no doubt, but in the set up I auditioned there was no need for much current capability.

Last edited:
Very likely enough, but very seldom necessary.
The rare low efficiency loudspeakers which dip down to 2 ohm in the lower register will benefit from good amplifier current capability.
But it's merely a specification; sound quality can not be declared by just this ability. More factors are at stake.
By the way I auditioned a Nord 500 amplifier; it's a great amp no doubt, but in the set up I auditioned there was no need for much current capability.

What did you use for a preamp?

Their pseudo-technical copy really is hilarious, get a load of this -

The high Class A operation supplemented by 47,000µF of storage capacitance results in a nearly infinite impulse response

A quasi-IIR class A amp, who'd have thunk it?:cool:

People who buy these amps don't care how they're made. They only care if they're more expensive then all their friends amps. So as long as there's big words in the description, good enough. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.