• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How would you drive an EL509 in enhanced triode mode.

Two things. Since I have an active subwoofer to augment the open baffles and they are supplied by the preamp. When you add a bypass cap the gain of the amplifier goes up....and the subwoofer is lagging way behind because the amp is so much louder...leaving one essentially with squaking midrange...I did compensate a little more vigourously this time as I realised it while thinking about the problem last night. And it just sounds great now! A little less tubey....(which is something aparently that I like) but more even handed for sure. I'll have to do some more listening...and will try the feedback again. I also feel that the 2000uF cap contributed somehow to the warmer sound (even without my subwoofer issue).

So in the end reason and logic wins. Now I'll get a single cap instead of my three paralled jobbies of sufficient value and rating. So Kay happy. Bas happy.
el509v1.3.png

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yesterday I put my latest RH84 in service...I think anyone listening would prefer the RH84. So I'm sorry Francois. I'm going to try something else with the driver. Hope you haven't started beause of me. It's not a bad amp. It just got its *** whipped by 'David'
Thanks, Bas. 😁 Are gou starting a new thread about your adventures with ‘David’? I’ll wait for the dust to settle while I’m building my Fisher SA-100 clone. (https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/teaser-pics-fisher-sa-100-clone-in-progress.466229/)

@platon.rado, that is a great-looking build of an EAR 859! Congratulations! How about a picture of the underbelly of the beast?

Hi

May some strange to post it here:
I have built bob danielacs version of enhanced EL509 amp
Firts i have a terrible humm on both channels.
furthermore its getting awfully hot: bias through driverstage is around 25mA, and EL509 around 100mA.
Adjusting the DC coupled amp doesnt alter the current in both stages, and the 200W stereo spply transformer gets hot too.
Any idea how to lower the (auto) bias current in AL509 output stage? Maybe it would be better to add preset bias schematic.