How to fix the Audio Research D-110 modules

I'm talking about my experience with the D-100 amp I had. Very disappointing all around. Sounded bad and the factory didn't produce the parts any longer. Means they gave up on their own product. If someone had reverse engineered the AM-1 and 2 back then, I would have been all over that. That means I could never listen to the D-100, makes it worthless to me.

The opposite of my experience with my McIntosh and Marantz gear I own.

PM me for the files with your email.
The new modules work great and worth the repair.
They are much better than a 70's Pioneer receiver and look cooler. McIntosh is not much of an improvement over the Audio Research in my opinion and I've owned a lot of them over 40yrs. I take reviews with a grain of salt, trust your own ears and don't believe everything you read....
Hello. I'm interested in the AM-1 and AM-2 modules. I have a D-60 with a noisy AM-1 board. I can be reached at info@tctubes.com

I was unable to DM due to low activity on this site. If there's a way to get in communication with someone about this that would be great.

Thanks!
Tyler

Not at this time, I have a full time job and this is just a hobby for me.
These are super easy to build and a great improvement to the original design. I have a mouser BOM i can share with you as well.
I am working on the original design using the old TO39 transistors which are still available for anyone interested, just got the first version complete. These will be for those that want to keep the original circuit. As far as I can tell, these transistors are still available.
The autoroute finally started working again so the gerber file is done after some tweaking. I just need to double check the pinouts on a couple of the
transistors to make sure they are the same as the others, I had to create the library item since the open source ones where not done correctly. I might just add the EBC markings on the board itself.

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 10.00.30 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 9.57.10 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I now have the original design modules completed for the AM1 and the AM2
They are the original schematic and transistors. The resistors are not an array like the original.
Both have ground planes as well. Ordering some gerber for assembly.
I do have the modified designs as well using modern transistors and a couple FETs on the AM1.
It would be difficult to screw up the build, everything is labelled including the pinouts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 7.53.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 7.53.22 PM.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 7.53.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 7.53.44 PM.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 143
Here's the parts list to build one AM1 and AM2 module

16-100ohm 2% (or hand match)
1-56.2K 1% (or hand match)
3-61.9K 1% (or hand match) results.
1-2.7K
1-270pf Cap
4-2n2222 TO18
4-2n2907 TO18
5-2n5415 TO39
5-2n3440 TO39

Total cost to build is about $25-$30 per module with the boards(in qty).

I'm in the same boat with my D-100. Bad AM1 module but figured I'll be better off replacing all of the AM modules so I don't have to open the beast up again. Let me know when you can spare 2 of each modules. It is amazing how the modules can be fine one day and the next cause all manner of mayhem...