How to Etch your own circuit board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Originally posted by SY
If someone tells you, "Oh, I never bother with a guard or push-blocks when I use my power saw and I've done OK," you know you're dealing with someone whose nickname in the future is going to be "Stumpy."

I'm fairly certain that Peter Daniel posted somewhere around these forums that he doesn't use guards when working metal, as with his experience they are an impediment.

SY said:
TwoSpoons, I don't often say this, but... you have no idea what you're talking about. I don't usually do the flaunting credentials thing, but I did manage to get a chemistry degree and teach lab courses at the university level for 10 years, not to mention 20 years in the electronics materials business. It is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE to recommend that people not bother with basic safety equipment. If someone tells you, "Oh, I never bother with a guard or push-blocks when I use my power saw and I've done OK," you know you're dealing with someone whose nickname in the future is going to be "Stumpy." Likewise for the use of these chemicals.

:att'n: These are chemicals of known, proven, severe corrosiveness and toxicity. They should ONLY be handled using the proper safety equipment: goggles, gloves, and ventilation.

All it takes is seeing one industrial accident.

Gloves, safety goggles, face mask when using a cut-off saw...there should be a thread devoted to safety.

I Share the perspective on chemistry, having gotten my undergrad degree there -- and having lost the sense of smell for a few months because I didn't do something under the hood.

Prune said:

I'm fairly certain that Peter Daniel posted somewhere around these forums that he doesn't use guards when working metal, as with his experience they are an impediment.

I claim no expertise in metal-working. In fact, I'm downright ignorant. But I did have a shop teacher in high school who was missing half his fingers. We were merciless; we'd hold up out hands and yell "Hey, Mr. Skidmore, slap me two-and-a-half!" Nonetheless... it was an instructive example.

My favorite quote was from a text on formulation regarding the use of three roll mills for pigment dispersion: "Operators of three roll mills tend to have N fingers, where N < 10."

SY said:

I claim no expertise in metal-working. In fact, I'm downright ignorant. But I did have a shop teacher in high school who was missing half his fingers. We were merciless; we'd hold up out hands and yell "Hey, Mr. Skidmore, slap me two-and-a-half!" Nonetheless... it was an instructive example.

My favorite quote was from a text on formulation regarding the use of three roll mills for pigment dispersion: "Operators of three roll mills tend to have N fingers, where N < 10."
The ratio is one half finger for every 7 years worked!

Reread my post. I'm in favour of reasonable precautions. I just object to the sort of hysteria that leads people to post words like ' probable carcinogen' in giant red letters.

Ammonium persulphate doesn't induce me to run screaming off to the emergency clinic for a little splash on the hand. The 68% nitric acid I have in my lab does, however - that one I do treat with real care (gloves, goggles, mask, caution). As with the other genuinely toxic nasties I possess.
Be realistic - pcb etchants are available off-the-shelf to Joe Anybody, and no manufacturer would risk their business by selling something insanely dangerous to the public. Except maybe the tobacco industry.

Again: reasonable care!

Prune said:
BWAHAHAHAHA! It was a joke, geez! It's only a carcinogen if you swallow it. I use is on cuts all the time as it doesn't sting like alcohol. I've spilt HF (aq) on my hands and I didn't run screaming, either.

about ten years ago a New York City garbageman was killed because some jerk disposed of HF incorrectly -- this is about as polar an acid as you can get.

HF is funny stuff- a surprisingly low pKa. Not a "strong acid" by definition, but highly toxic and corrosive. Eats through glass.

I've said it in a few other posts, but it bears repeating- besides your own safety, there's the safety of others and the environment to consider when you dispose of these solutions.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Best thing about HF is absorbtion through the skin. I think there are several cases of death.

There was some kind of thermite that gives off F (gas), but I can't remember what the components were (I never tried to make it, I'm not that crazy).

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Hmm. It's been over 12 hours and the precipitate is barely starting to form. Maybe it's the weak 3% peroxide I'm using that's making this so slow... Not very practical. But without accessible sources of nitric acid, one is pretty limited in what fun things can be made. :hot:

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I'm not sure what you mean by 'camper' (English is not my first language, so you'll have to excuse me).

This has nothing to do with happiness or angryness -- don't think you can make assumptions of how I intend to use this. It's purely for entertainment. The same thing that drives me to DIY audio is behind most other things I do. In any case, I only made a few mL. (CSIS, eat my shorts! :D )

Hydrofluoric acid (HF) is extraordinaly dangerous and insidious. A solution that wont cause immediate skin burns may over the course of hours migrate through the skin and muscle to the bones where the fluoride ions start binding with calcium causing a world of hurt.

Sure hydrogen peroxide is carcinogenic, its all a question of dose. Dont drink the stuff, its hard on your liver. Dihydrogen monoxide can kill you given a large enough dose. It can be especially bad by inhalation...

Hydrogen Peroxide

Prune-
You stated that it was some time ago that you took your chemistry classes. Hydrogen peroxide is NOT a carcinogen. It wasn't when you took your chemistry classes. It wasn't when I took my chemistry classes. It won't be when our grandchildren take their chemistry classes.
SteveA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.