How to Etch your own circuit board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
It is a known animal carcinogen (http://www.bu.edu/es/labsafety/ESMSDSs/MSHydPeroxide.html#anchor891201). Forget not, humans are animals. However, there are not many cases of ingesting it in humans, and thus the lack of cancer in humans caused by it, which is why the beurocracy cannot assert it is a human carcinogen (but can be classified as a probable one, due to the animal studies). Maybe you can be the first human test subject. I'll even send you a few bottles at no charge.

In most large cities the AIR is a carcinogen and you are exposed to it much more than you would be using any of these chemicals. Sure, don't eat it or bathe in it but don't be too paranoid, it will cause stress related problems far worse than a brief exposure to this stuff.

I think the largest worry with any of this stuff is to not inhale much during etching,..or any at all if you can help it. My setup involves an overhead stove fan and an industrial face mask air filter,..(it reminds me of "The Wall " with those gas masks), with my head NOT directly over the etchant tank. It seems to help versus not having the above. At any rate, I think everyone in here is bright enough not to swallow or snort such chemicals, right ? Also, rubber gloves are nice. :smash:

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
SY, I was thinking of sulfuric acid instead of hydrochloric. It can also be mixed with peroxide to etch copper (actually even aerated vinegar etches copper, as it became apparent to me after I used vinegar to clean my Mauviel cookware of the oxides several times -- there's always some copper removed if besides acid there's oxygen present -- gotta use professional copper tarnish remover).

SY said:
You want a good dust mask when handling persulfate powder. Bad, bad stuff to get in your lungs. Rubber gloves, and I mean REAL heavy-duty industrial gloves are not a nice thing, they're a MANDATORY thing.

Bit frightened now :(

I suppose if anything was going to happen I'd just have been ill at the time the Sod Per dust was floating about? Or is it a delayed thing like asbestos?

You've got less than a week to live. And you'll be impotent for the last 6 days of it.

No, seriously, the damage you would get is immediate and on the order of a burn. You lucked out, but don't press your luck the next time, wear a mask. A good, healthy fear of corrosive chemicals is a good thing, just like fear of high voltages.

GAsoline is a carcinogene, mineral oils might be, and so on, and so on,- forever!

Life is quite dangerous, you know--- you might even die!

Main point in this,-- all of the chemicals used mentioned here are dangerous,- if not handled and used properly!
So is actually quite a lot of your "domestic" chemicals, as several types of detergents, cleaners, oils etc.etc.

Our in-frequent hobby use for making PCBs are quite harmless,-
if done properly! Just take care, - and be happy!!!

I use ammonium persulphate regularly. I get it on my hands regularly. It does nothing to my skin. Absolutely nothing. You wouldn't catch me bathing in it, but I really think the level of paranoia I'm seeing here is quite unjustified.

Personally I think warnings like 'Probable carcinogen' are mostly just 'ars* covering' prompted by the American legal system.

With any of these chemicals, so long as one exercises 'reasonable' care ( i.e. don't drink it, wash hands and utensils, keep away from kids) you should be fine. The full-on chemical warfare suit is unnecessary.

Honestly, theres far more toxic sh*t put in the food you eat every day (aspartame is particularly nasty).

TwoSpoons, I don't often say this, but... you have no idea what you're talking about. I don't usually do the flaunting credentials thing, but I did manage to get a chemistry degree and teach lab courses at the university level for 10 years, not to mention 20 years in the electronics materials business. It is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE to recommend that people not bother with basic safety equipment. If someone tells you, "Oh, I never bother with a guard or push-blocks when I use my power saw and I've done OK," you know you're dealing with someone whose nickname in the future is going to be "Stumpy." Likewise for the use of these chemicals.

:att'n: These are chemicals of known, proven, severe corrosiveness and toxicity. They should ONLY be handled using the proper safety equipment: goggles, gloves, and ventilation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.