How to - Distortion Measurements with REW

I have been using the excellent and free software package called REW and a sound interface card (or DAC/ADC) to measure my amps for years now.

XRK

This is a cool How-To. REW is super strong, I just use it to measure the impedance and calculate T/S parameters of speakers. Actually, John (the author of REW)helps me a lot.

I've already had a USB soundcard.

I'm wondering the resistor in your circuit should be non-inductive?

My speakers are 4ohms or 2ohms, what value should I choose for the resistor in your circuit?

Last edited:
Just for grins and to learn REW, I built a loopback for my Macbook - sending the headphone output back into the external mic input via an attenuator.

The Macbook, in order to be faked out for external mic detection, needs about a 1.6K resistor across the mic input. I used a splitter to separate output and input.

THD is not so bad (.0038%), but noise is pretty bad (.033%), as is often the case with built-in sound devices. Not sure if this will be useful for actual amplifier testing, or if I will need to pony up for a Focusrite (or other external device). We'll see.

I firstly Checked the the MAC BOOK PRO.. Same as you I used direct input instead of a Microphone then, make sure that there is no NOISE be generated in the MAC, usually it's clean.. at least the one I use.
Then Use a Dummy Load and plug it into the INPUT, if you are using windows on the MAC you will be able to change the MIC Input to LINE.. thus it will not need external components..

There rest you know how to do.. I even got more than 15% of noise because REW detect a very low HUM Signal but Distortions and this up to the ninth were all low level.

When the build it's in the case and PSU have been adjusted to the Current flow and everything works then I will make another check and I'm positive that noise will be below 100DB

Regards Chris

2 Experiment
wav file @997Hz and four markers on non-return frequencies

Attachments

• -13dB @997Hz @_Forever_C_Coherent @4m @-120dB @88200.jpg
    -13dB @997Hz @_Forever_C_Coherent @4m @-120dB @88200.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 330
  • TEST 997Hz & 4MARKERS @ OscilloMeter.jpg
    TEST 997Hz & 4MARKERS @ OscilloMeter.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 317
The first post of the thread is inaccessible to most users who use normally sized screens. Trying to shrink the page to allow it to fit into a screen width renders the text completely unreadable.

This is a blow in the face of users who do not have very wide screens and who do not use the latest state of the art hardware.

Please, be more considerate of readers. Huge embedded images do not fit in everyone's screen.

I wanted to read the oringinal post but due to these limitations I am dissuaded.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
янв..didden
wav file @997Hz and four markers at frequencies not multiples of the main frequency.
I am happy 👍with programs that allow you to look under the noise blanket! ...please forgive me for the inaccuracy.

No it's no problem, I was just curious where those marker frequencies come from. You put them in to be able to 'calibrate' the display?

Jan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop: It is best practice to keep your embedded images 1300 pixels wide or smaller. Our forum software does not handle large images well. Just one large image will cause problems for the entire page. If for some reason you need to a larger image, please attach it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm wondering the resistor in your circuit should be non-inductive?

I have lately switched to using precision EBG UXP high power thin film high power load resistors. They have a large thermal pad for mounting heatsinks and they are absolutely non-inductive. Here I am using a 300w resistor fitted with a CPU cooler and a fan to test a Class A amp.

1_SeriesUXP-350.jpg

822429d1583380730-alpha-nirvana-39w-8ohm-class-amp-ftc-test-01-jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Voltwide and Dr Morde show how to measure a Class D BTL output amp:
TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB

I used their little circuit and to enable measurement of a BTL output without shorting it to GND. It works well:
779737d1567772891-tpa3255-reference-design-class-amp-gb-att-png

779736d1567772891-tpa3255-reference-design-class-amp-gb-evm3255_pvcc_test_no_load_p2160001-jpg

Using this jig and Victor's sub-ppm 1kHz oscillator, I was able to measure 0.0011%THD on my TPA3255 amp (sorry another 1600 wide image-need to set the default in REW to produce 1200 wide pix in the future):
837048d1587662608-tpa3255-reference-design-class-amp-gb-tpa3255-v002-10-0vrms-10ohms-fft-pffb-victors-osc-jpg

And no, I did not measure each individual one.... :)
841790d1588899159-tpa3255-reference-design-class-amp-gb-tpa3255-production-delivered-02-jpg