How should I wire my 1500 watt speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
If you build this titanic sub, you will need to use plateamps with high-pass filter fore your main speakers, to withstand the power you intend to use

possible nice drivers - it gets TRICKY, but at least it would work with "simple" 6db, 1500/4000hz

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=296-093

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-550

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-578

Off course its easier and safer to use a "kit", and its just to show you the way things turn and how drivers relate to each other ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was thinking that if this is what Punkrokr really wants:
But of all things I want these to look monstrous so much that when a guest walks in the house they jump back when they see a tower of speakers taller than they are.

Then he should take the Magna Party Speaker Project and DOUBLE it. :eek:
The would be a real monster.
Four 12s per side
2 6" Mids
2 Tweeters.

Could be huge. And what would he have? A Bozak! Yep - pretty much a Bozak Concert Grand with modern parts. In a bigger box. And if he really wants to make it big, he can make the bass cabinet even larger - like 6 feet tall. The bass drivers would be happy with more room.

The price wouldn't be outrageous, either. The drivers are only about $35 each. A whole lot cheaper than pro drivers. And with all those 12s pumping out the bass, it would be loud and clean. Best to go with a separate amp for the bass. A nice plate amp on each box would work well and serve as crossover.

Now that would be a hell of a set of speakers! We could call them the "Fauzak" or in honor of Punkokr - the "Punkzak" or even the "Bozunk." ;)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That Magna cum Laude is perfect for you IMHO.

WAIT! I've got it! Build it as designed - because it will sound good, but place it on top of a a 3'h x 3' wide by maybe 4' deep separate box with an 18" pro sub with the same finish. Viola- 3' taller and waaaaay more impressive! Use a separate plate amp for this. You could built the MAgnas first without the sub and enjoy them while earning/making the subs.

Post 44 has info about some 18" subs. Here are some that will go lower: Parts Express #299-444. You could also put the ports on the sides of the Magna in order to move all the drivers down some more. When you add the subs you might want to plug the ports as it makes them easier to integrate.

Best compromise might be to built the Magnas as they are designed which would have the tweeter at 3' height (perfect for listening while sitting) when the boxes aren't on top of the subs and then make the sub box about 30" tall so the when the magnas are stacked on the subs, the tweeter will line up with ear height of a standing person. Parts express gives box designs for the 18" subs mentioned, They don't really have to be those exact dimensions as long as the interior volume is the same. Probably you should download Win ISD to get a better idea if bigger boxes would go much lower.

No matter what you end up making, don't use 2 tweeters. There are very few serious speakers with two tweeters. Mostly just cheapo PAs of the worst quality. Stick with one or you are just going to look ignorant:whazzat:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Variac, you sneaky guy. Did you edit that post while I was away from my desk?
Didn't you say something about two 15s? Was thinking the Dayton Classic 15" might work.

You are right about the 2 tweeters, but a lot of designs from the 50s-60s used them. Not to say that they sounded good....

I also agree that the Magna is a really good idea, it's what he needs. What he wants, however, is something else again.

So I'll put in a vote for your Magnas on top of an 18" sub. Wow, that's a lot of speaker!

Will Punkrokr ever get those things into his living room? Not likely if there's a woman in the house. :rolleyes: But -- when I was 14 years old I lived with my father and we had loads of crazy stuff in the living room. Stacks of TVs, stacks of speakers, reel-to reel and cassette tape machines, shortwave radio, turntables, a Jocob's ladder, etc. Ah the good old days. Can't do that any more. Married.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Guilty, I edited!
True, 2 15" instead of 2 12" would be another appealing option, but then I thought that it might be nice to use all the effort the speaker designer put in and not mess that up! That way all punk needs to try to get right is the woofer/sub crossover..

Jacob's Ladder: :cool: (Maybe not if you have cats.....)

!!!
If I'd had speakers like this when I was 14, I'd've driven the neighbours to drink, I reckon.

Attachments

• big.jpg
    big.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 277
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ldlm:

Fantastic rendering. I especially like that you created it by just enlarging the lower part of the upper speaker!!

Hey, guys: Considering the frequencies involved, would it be ok for punk to put one of the 12" drivers ABOVE the mid and tweeter? This would lower the tweeter to a height that would actually align with a (standing ) person's ears!

So it would be from the bottom:
Subwoofer, woofer, mid, tweet, woofer.

I think punk wants a horn tweeter. Well he should build it like the plans show, but with the tweeter on a removable panel. He could then make another panel with a horn tweeter and substitute it with a new crossover until he got it right. In the mean time he can listen to the designed dome tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.