How do Markaudio fare against KEF LS50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have showed those measures to a number of people, who said “that must sound bad”, but the results coming in has no-one (that i have seen yet) has. We certainly didn’t/haven’t.

Notching out A4 by 15 dB would make it sound different than the artist intended, no? Why design a speaker that does that?

A while back I rented a place where the living room had a room mode at 82 Hz. That's an E2 on an electric bass. The notch was a little deeper than the 15 dB of the A11. It made listening to anything with electric bass rather annoying as E2 would drop out of the riff.

It is dangerous measuring before you listen. It can bias the crap out of you.

It's dangerous not to perform double-blind listening trials. Any sighted trial will be biased.

Good to see you're back online, by the way.

Tom

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have showed those measures to a number of people, who said “that must sound bad”,

Did a flip thru of Collom’s 7th edition and one of the pictures showed a similar hole in the response (for a completely different reason) in a well respected speaker and suggested (at least to me on 1st read) that it wa snot as big an issue as it looks.

dave

Did a flip thru of Collom’s 7th edition and one of the pictures showed a similar hole in the response (for a completely different reason) in a well respected speaker and suggested (at least to me on 1st read) that it wa snot as big an issue as it looks.

Would you happen to have the figure number handy so I can look it up? I'm curious...

Tom

dave

Then nor is the phase rotation at crossover on a conventional multi way loudspeaker. That dip will have a large associated phase shift just like a high order crossover.

Last edited:
It's been a while, but there were some other problems to solve in meantime. I was one of organizers of Triode festival Croatia (10th meeting) so it took me some time but I managed to do some measurement of finished speakers (as they were presented in festival). Here are some pics from the festival, if someone is interested in: HiFi Media - HiFi Media added a new photo. | Facebook

anyway, measurements were done without my presence (the guy is kind a strange) but he is professional and measurement gear was Dirac so I thing this is done correctly.
The last graph is measurement at axis on listening position in room (attic - under the roof). I am satisfied, but will do another box, more height, less deep and semi cylindrical. Same volume and tuning of the box… we'll see...

Attachments

• 20190526_104637.jpg
    20190526_104637.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 323
  • 1.5m from speaker on axis.jpg
    1.5m from speaker on axis.jpg
    958.2 KB · Views: 315
  • 1m from speaker, 20 degrees 0f axis.jpg
    1m from speaker, 20 degrees 0f axis.jpg
    954 KB · Views: 317
  • 1m od centra membrane.jpg
    1m od centra membrane.jpg
    927.2 KB · Views: 302
  • free space in room, 2.5m from box, u osi 20Hz 20 KhZ.jpg
    free space in room, 2.5m from box, u osi 20Hz 20 KhZ.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 279
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.