How do I stop the mice chewing through my water pipes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017

Attachments

• 104-diyaudio.jpg
    104-diyaudio.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 142
Bought 12m of copper pipe and some fittings yesterday and started cutting, bending, fitting, removing, rebending, removing, .... etc, until I had a good fit at the two ends and at the junction near the middle.
Finished replacing 5m of plastic hot water pipe today. Only one leaking joint where I had not properly inserted an old pipe into an existing fitting, that removal had made making the new connection easier.
With the very limited access and the difficulty of installing the rigid copper pipe, that hot replacement took over 12hours.

I'll start on the cold tomorrow and maybe finish it in the same day.

Still only two mice in the bucket.
They had finished all the bait. There must be a good balancer still up there!

Excuse the blur, 1/4sec without flash.

Attachments

• water pipe gnawed while turned off.jpg
    water pipe gnawed while turned off.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Might want to invest in a cheap WiFi camera to be sure.

A "game camera" has motion-sensing. We use them not only to know where the deer are, but also who is breaking into our trailer. You typically get a flash-card with a series of time-stamped still images. Many have "nite-lite", either IR imaging or light sources. I think a few bucks more gets you little movies, but for mice who needs that?

Maybe more available where hunting is common than in the UK?

Nah- £33.99

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire thread but I heard an interesting item on a local radio Science Show. A species of caterpillar has been found eating wax on a bee hive. This led to experiments (Italian I think...) and it was found to be able to eat and digest certain plastics with a long life that are causing environmental issues. Too soon yet to see beneficial environmental or commercial returns but interesting never the less.
Again not 100% sure of the data but many years ago I understood there was a bacteria that was eating bitumen roads........in Gippsland area if other Aussies can confirm that...??
Cheers and Merry Christmas to you all........(Which in this time of PC gone mad and "micro-aggressions" I understand we are still allowed to say in Australia between consenting adults in private.....)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.