How do I stop the mice chewing through my water pipes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the States we have a mixture sold as "Critter Ridder" that consists of black and red pepper extracts. It repels all the usual problematic critters, including skunks and rats. A colleague at work had a problem with rats getting into the engine compartment of his car and chewing up the wires. Regular applications of Critter Ridder keep the rats at bay. I saw a picture of the wires in question - they looked like they'd been mangled with a pair of diagonal cutters, but it was rats that did the deed.

The natural things that keep these vermin in place are snakes and things like mongooses and owls. There are a balance to be kept and that does not happen any more. People put out poison for rats and the owls get killed when they eat that rat before it dies. Also where they live is different today. Lots of buildings and noise, so their habitat has changed , the number of predators decreases and vermin increases. The balance is disturbed, not only by rats and mice:eek:

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I used to work at an industrial (mine) site in northern Canada, and for a while there were problems with porcupine and fox gnawing through exposed rubber and plastic fittings (heavens know why...).
After several trials the most effective non-lethal deterrent was found to be capsicum concentrate. We bought the hottest chilli peppers we could find (in industrial sized jars and made a spicy puree that was smeared liberally on the exposed fittings.
The gnawing behaviours ended quickly, and there were few problems thereafter.

Around Halloween, we coat our outdoor pumpkins with tobacco sauce to keep the squirrels from having a feast. Works great. Maybe put a lot if it into a spray bottle for easy application.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
:eek:
Was that "Tabasco", victim of auto-spell?

Many years ago, I used to spray my mom's roses with water in which cigarettes had been soaked for a few days, to kill the aphids which were always trying to infest them. That stuff could legitimately have been referred to as "tobacco sauce". :D

-Gnobuddy

Spell check changed it. Should say Tabasco as in hot sauce. Don't think tobacco sauce should be used, the vermin might get addicted :eek:

I had a water leak last weekend.
The mice in the loft space for the winter decided to gnaw through the hot water pipe.
Replaced the damaged part and good for a week.
Saturday night another flood.
This time they chewed through the cold water pipe.

Most of my pipes are plastic, just copper next to the hot water tank and next to the oil boiler.
I plan to replace the plastic in this local area with copper. I'm working on a plan on how to get copper into that tiny roof space and make connections. It will not be easy.

Never had any previous mouse problems. New brood being very investigative?
I looked at a couple of googled threads on mice and plastic pipes, but there was no consensus.

Any ideas on how to stop them attacking other plastic around the house?
Perhaps the mice are thirsty?
A nice bowl of antifreeze might slake their thirst.
FARM SHOW - He Uses Anti-Freeze To Kill Rats And Mice

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A nice bowl of antifreeze might slake their thirst.

Note date. 2003. Since about that time, antifreeze makers have started putting embittering agents in their product, to reduce deaths of dogs, cats, and husbands.

See also this page:

(He says this all applies to mice also.)

Attachments

• rat-kill.jpg
    rat-kill.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 220
I've got a few gallons of vintage 1999 Prestone...never been opened. It has that sweet bouquet and that sweeter flavor that vermin just can't resist. Only 2 fluid ounces (59 mL) will take care of an extended family of mice or rats. The bidding starts at $100 per gallon!

Last edited:
Snake poop (available from pet stores) or cat poop in the area and they will be gone.
Stainless steel pot scourers work perfectly for plugging entry points.

Funny anecdote: A friend complained that he was not catching any crayfish in his newly purchased traps (and expensive licence) that he checked and rebaited each morning.
Turns out he was using cheap octopus trimmings as bait, there were laughs all round, octopus is a main predator of crayfish !.

Dan.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A<snip> I have been told that the smell of a cat in a house will deter mice from occupying places which the cat cannot reach (e.g. under the floorboards).

I had heard the same thing but after 14 yrs in this 108 yr old house with cats and mice, sometimes very brazen mice that actually run across the kitchen floor right in front of us I know there is not much substance to this conjecture and it seems myth like.

We have two siamese cats and I am by far the better mouser.. LOL

Humane traps with peanut butter bait are very effective, currently mouse free thanks to these. (My former disposal method was not approved by my wife, I now generally leave them in the nearby marsh.)

I rather suspect a rat, and not just a rat
That's what we had and had to take it to an extreme as these were partly escaped or perhaps released pet rats. Them there ginormous black ones and a family of gray normal ones as well.

We set the large neck breakers throughout the house and it took just a couple of days to get the adults but the babies didn't come out until they noticed Mom and Dad weren't coming back anymore and they had to venture out for food. That was a week into it. Another week and they were gone.

Trap placement is very important. Always keep them against a wall and hide them in places you would hide if you were a rat like behind couches and the sort.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.