How do I stop the mice chewing through my water pipes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a water leak last weekend.
The mice in the loft space for the winter decided to gnaw through the hot water pipe.
Replaced the damaged part and good for a week.
Saturday night another flood.
This time they chewed through the cold water pipe.

Most of my pipes are plastic, just copper next to the hot water tank and next to the oil boiler.
I plan to replace the plastic in this local area with copper. I'm working on a plan on how to get copper into that tiny roof space and make connections. It will not be easy.

Never had any previous mouse problems. New brood being very investigative?
I looked at a couple of googled threads on mice and plastic pipes, but there was no consensus.

Any ideas on how to stop them attacking other plastic around the house?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I get rats move in every autumn. once they are in the house then all I can do is poison them. They don't seem to want the quick death of the rat trap.

Mice I have usually been able to catch in traps when they get in.

The bees this year were a big annoyance

An ultrasonic deterrent seemed to move them out of my garage. We now have a cat, and he is a very good mouser - although I assume he brings them in from the garden rather than finds them in the house. He even insists on patrolling the garage about once a week - although this is in a different house. I have been told that the smell of a cat in a house will deter mice from occupying places which the cat cannot reach (e.g. under the floorboards).

Mice like moles and rats teeth grow continually and need things to gnaw to wear them down. There is a very effective way to get rid of mice using a house snake. In the UK you would probably buy them at your local pet shop for a buck or two.

These snakes are not poisonous but they remain a snake and besides eating the mice it scares them shitless. The snakes are especially keen of baby mice and normally rid you of even the future problem.

You don't have to look after the snake, water it, stroke it or befriends it - when the food is gone it will also leave without a trace. Moreover you would not even know it is there.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
An ultrasonic deterrent seemed to move them out of my garage. We now have a cat, and he is a very good mouser - although I assume he brings them in from the garden rather than finds them in the house. He even insists on patrolling the garage about once a week - although this is in a different house. I have been told that the smell of a cat in a house will deter mice from occupying places which the cat cannot reach (e.g. under the floorboards).

Which ultrasonic device did you use? And did it help clear a double garage or a single?
I used to use poison, but the mice would just move it around and not eat it - you'd find it some time later neatly piled up on a shelf!! Traps work but require daily checks....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.