How complex to make an amplifier ? (lighthearted)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Re: Re: Re: How complex to make an amplifier ? (lighthearted)

Bigun said:

What shall I be ?

Sometimes problems just seems to come out of the open from nowhere and theres nothing you can do about it

The easy way is to stay 100% clear of "infected" threads, avoid them by all means
Get away the moment it starts getting strange, and dont begin to defend someone, cause that mostly end up getting even worse

Dont try tell people they are wrong, or suggesting something else
If you dont agree, just stay clear

But sometimes you cant avoid it, no matter how hard you try

If you want a good debate, be sure it stays on intelligent level, or leave with no notice

Sounds boring, being mister perfect :clown:

You could also say, "heck, problems are part of life, part of living"

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: How complex to make an amplifier ? (lighthearted)

tinitus said:
Sometimes problems just seems to come out of the open from nowhere and theres nothing you can do about it

The easy way is to stay 100% clear of "infected" threads, avoid them by all means
Get away the moment it starts getting strange, and dont begin to defend someone, cause that mostly end up getting even worse

Dont try tell people they are wrong, or suggesting something else
If you dont agree, just stay clear

But sometimes you cant avoid it, no matter how hard you try

If you want a good debate, be sure it stays on intelligent level, or leave with no notice

Sounds boring, being mister perfect :clown:

You could also say, "heck, problems are part of life, part of living"

Good points.

My mum always told me when I was a kid. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it."

My motto is: "Don't **** on other people's parade."

I can't say anymore because of the above. :D

There are many other possible goals than just "sound" when designing an amplifier. To name some:

- Size
- Weight
- Efficiency
- Cost in parts and part availability
- Manufacturing cost
- Extra features like protections and compressor/limiter
- The ability of the amplifier to continue working when subject to unexpected conditions (high temperature, low impedance, etc)

To me, complexity depends mostly on them...

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi Eva,
Here, almost none of those considerations matter (at least to me and I'd guess a few more). We are supposed to be building hot rods here, not commercial designs. Gas guzzling, highest costing, chrome plated, highest gloss painted, spitting fire and attracting the hottest, most shallow chicks.
The objectification of the male ego...:devilr:

John,

How could you ever have trouble with the colour that Uncle Charlie adds to this place?

English is not his first language, you know that. There was a misunderstanding and it is right to leave his post so it could be seen along with the responses.

Your post on the other hand was an attempt at what I am supposing you think is humour. Time to check the archives, I am guessing you can do better than that.

MJL21193 said:
You throw all my colour in the trash

Sorry John, I didn't know dark was a colour.

nothing left to appreciate.[/B]

That not true, I now have that picture of you on my desk. Keeps me humble.

Yes, It was a bit of a joke BUT I don't bother to reply unless I'm saying something and that picture was worth a thousand words. [/B]

I'll take the 5th on that one.

Perhaps we can take this up offline and get back to topic.

Thank you.

MJL21193 said:
Hi Eva,
Here, almost none of those considerations matter (at least to me and I'd guess a few more). We are supposed to be building hot rods here, not commercial designs. Gas guzzling, highest costing, chrome plated, highest gloss painted, spitting fire and attracting the hottest, most shallow chicks.
The objectification of the male ego...:devilr:

Sorry, I find no satisfaction in making amplifiers that way. I tried, but one day I discovered that what I really like is to do little black boxes producing high power, low distortion and little heat. A pure engineering challenge.

One of the things that I would like to do is medium sized PA system producing enough SPL to feel bass and midrange 25 meters away, and being just fed from something like a car battery lasting several hours, or even from a few solar panels.

Originally posted by Eva what I really like is to do little black boxes producing high power, low distortion and little heat. A pure engineering challenge.

sounds like ClassD - and we know they're not complex ;)

for newbies like me, things can get pretty complex very quickly. I guess for you guys who have been building for some time, the challenges come from going beyond the TGM2 etc... so this is why I am asking myself whether I will really get enough improvement to warrant the effort. Right now, it's hard to understand how things can sound better than TGM2 - but of course there's a lot of builders-pride in that statement :D

By MJL - We are supposed to be building hot rods here, not commercial designs. Gas guzzling, highest costing, chrome plated, highest gloss painted, spitting fire and attracting the hottest, most shallow chicks. The objectification of the male ego...

Cool way of thinking , that is why we are here , more compact "spitting fire" AB stages. MOSFET's seem to be the route (like the aussieamps) I don't care if I have to spend a few more dimes. In fact ,I will do a great sounding 400w mosfet amp just BECAUSE uncle charlie does not like them.. :D (humor , not a personal attack).
Uncle bob (cordell) even says they have softer Xover distortion.
OS

ostripper said:
they have softer Xover distortion.OS

I've read conflicting opinions on this (not a personal attack). And there are also some people who say that FETs sound less engaging (not a personal attack) than BJTs although I'm not sure if this is a Class A vs Class AB thing.

But the larger SOA of the FET is quite appealing for the big monster amps.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Im amazed every time I get the tickle to play loud, which doesnt happen very often

I have only 50watt AB monos, with single pair of MJL21193/94 BJT

It gets crancked up to full blast level 100% until theres no more to have

With a good signal from my tuner its very clean and insignificant distortion, back it down just a tad and its perfectly clean
And it still sounds very natural and relaxed

It appears small and simple, but its a quite complicated amp design, and I believe theres something special about this amp, but I have no clew what makes it possible to use the full 50watt of an amp :scratch:
Well, I suppose its more like 100watt, as the speakers are more like 4ohm

Well, I do know that speaker crossover is a major player in this, but I doubt thats all there is to it

I was a bit surpriced when Sonny posted here a short while ago, and asked whether he should sell modules again, and no one responded

Attachments

• mirand 1 (wince).jpg
    mirand 1 (wince).jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 324
You and me the same Tinitus, I haven't found my existing amplifiers to be limiting in the power department and none of them can go up to 100W. But then I only listen indoors without sharing my joy with the neighbours :)

Did you try full-range single driver speakers before ? - very sensitive, and no cross-over.

By bigun - There are some interesting claims of 'smooth highs' from CFP where you have a BJT driving a complementary MOSFET. Are you thinking of this ??

That is exactly what I plan, the only difference is the big (but not much ,according to mr. cordell) , capacitances at the gates of the IRF's. The standard supersym with a modified Vbe , has slightly higher distortion but a different FFT response. This seems to be the subthreshold region of the MOSFET as compared to the abrupt on/off nature of the BJT. Combined with the lack of Gm doubling , a very good sounding, high current OP stage might be possible (likely).
I have isolated the switching distortion in the amp for both OPS's and "like" what I see from the MOSFET's.
I am going to try it both ways , CFP and EF.

OS

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Bigun said:

Did you try full-range single driver speakers before ? - very sensitive, and no cross-over.

Oh man, thats a very long story, I will try to make short :D

I built my first speakers at 12-13 years, together with a school mate
Small Lowthers mounted with RichardAllan 8"
Then I built some quaterwave, with same driver
Then very advanced "Cementhorn", mounted with Lowther PM6
Then small ones of my own design, mounted with Coral Flat 6
Whizzer cone removed and planar tweeter on top
Sounded quite nice
Then a pair of ACE horn, with Coral Flat 10
Then a pair of bigger Lowther, with Fostex 8", and also with Lowther PM6
Also tried a Lowther PM6 as midrange in small Onken with Focal 10" woofer and Focal inverted dome tweeter
Strange sound

Lets just say I have grown up with fullrange drivers and backloaded horns as a natural part of my life :D
Yes, I believe I know what ful range drivers can do, and what they cant
But sure, I have still only tried a small bit of what can be done

Picture below shows what I believe may be one good way of using fullrange
Others seem to like OB very much

As you can see fullrange drivers and horns is in my blood
Still lots of things I would like to try
But it takes time energy and money
Though it is very interesting to see fullrange drivers get such revival
And to see people "reinventing" mods others did some 35 years ago
Well, I think its nice

I have sold my 3way speakers and decided to use the money on a pair of 18" woofers and a couple of 2" Beyma CD mounted in Azura horn

My life in a "nutshell" :wchair: :)

Attachments

• azura bass.jpg
    azura bass.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 302
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.