Horns or waveguides for 1” compression drivers

It was an active system with Hypex FA253s, tried LR2, LR4, xo point from 1500 to 3000Hz, all the same. Yes, at first, it sounded very nice, but after a while (you know, when the "magic" disappears) the resonant behaviour was obvious, I replaced the driver (to a non-metallic diaphragm one) and I enlightened with that, much more enjoyable, cleaner sound and not that ear scraping agressive character. But that's just my (and who's heard also these drivers and one of my friend used an another pair with same result, I contacted with a NSD user who reported the same result) subjective opinion.

Last edited:
Flat EQ, I mean with time gated (quasi anechoic) measurement, not room response flat.
But I adjusted the same flat response with the replacement drivers too and they sounds wonderful even after more than a year of everyday listening, that's a success in my view, not just after a few test tracks. The replacement driver bacame a Faital Pro HF108R.
I recommended this driver to friend of mine (who also used the ND1090) and they said the same experience and liked the Faitals much better after tried it out.
And one more thing, nothing in the measurements showed that the 18sound differs from the Faital, they both have very low harmonic distortion, good CSD response etc. But it's sure they sounds very different.

Last edited:
I take it you're talking about the HA1-14.
Hmmmm...

Attachments

• Hmmmm.jpg
    Hmmmm.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 274
Exactly!
Would you like to build something with this combination? The 12-inch midrange could be almost too small. Unless you want to set the X-Over point over 1kHz.
Active or passive X-Over?

Active, except for some basic protection and padding for the CD.
Was thinking 1-1.2kHz, through earlier listening tests I've discovered that very steep filters might not be the best solution, and with 12, 18 or 24db/oct filters a smooth driver response is crucial to produce good results.
It can be hard to find a good combination that has a smooth overall response, and I value cost efficient performance rather highly.

Currently evaluating options for my next build, not sure where the hobby will take me this time, but it is almost certain that it will be another 3way one way or the other.