Hornresp

1642195053459.png

1642195072470.png

Complete cycle through restarted Hornresp. I think Wine is giving you a hard time. (LOL)

This may be true (Wine). Been so used to that behavior for so long that I didn't even notice or think to report it. Thought it happened for everyone and rarely use HR on win. Good to know that it's on us to trace-down if we care that much.
So it seems related to wine, thanks to let me know i'm not alone. But in a small group, so probably not worth to dig into any further, no big deal since i'm also used to it.

Good evening everyone I need some help. I have downloaded hornresp on my window 10, now the issue that I am having is the font. It says the ms sans serif font is not being recognized on my computer. Can anyone help me with this please.
Do you have the font file in your computer? In Windows it is a ttf file. If not search for microsoft-sans-serif.zip

Im new to Hornresp and just trying a simple subwoofer with port but wonder about the port diameter.
AP is not the same as port diameter I guess?
How do I calculate it?
Math is not my thing...

Ap - 'Area port' in cm^2, so for a 4"/10.16 cm diameter (d):

Ap = d^2*pi/4 = ~81.07 cm^2 (i.d.)

d = sqrt (Ap*4/pi)

pi = ~3.1416

All dimensions are inside (i.d.)
Thanks!
A little confusing about your ^ but running the calculator a while I understod it was d².

Oops! My math skills are vestigial at best [failed Algebra, etc.], so have posted many such pleas for help early on, but have collected enough of the required formulas over the decades on the various forums to copy/paste them in a post and for whatever reason no one had questioned the ^ and I just happened to learn it ~ the same as you did back in the '60s, though with a much bigger, more expensive Burroughs calculator in the Engineering Dept.. IIRC I could have bought a new loaded Corvette complete with full insurance at the time.

FWIW, many of them and more complex ones I've 'solved' on my own using this program's ~ 'Math for Dummies' on-line version: https://quickmath.com/webMathematica3/quickmath/equations/solve/intermediate.jsp#c=solve_basicsolveequation&v1=10%3D20*a*b%5E3.3&v2=b

Reactions: 1 user
When comparing horns against vented enclosures in hornresp, should I be setting the vented QL factor to lossless to make the comparison equal?

If so, this confuses me, with QL 7 applied to get closer to real world performance with vented, there is a huge drop in output at tuning

As there is no loss applied to horns, wouldn't this mean the peaks would also be far lower in real world tests? should I be making horns have a larger peak to account for this loss?

When comparing horns against vented enclosures in hornresp, should I be setting the vented QL factor to lossless to make the comparison equal?

If so, this confuses me, with QL 7 applied to get closer to real world performance with vented, there is a huge drop in output at tuning

As there is no loss applied to horns, wouldn't this mean the peaks would also be far lower in real world tests? should I be making horns have a larger peak to account for this loss?
Are comparing an actual horn enclosure to a vented box, or a vented box with a horn-shaped port? If you're looking at an actual (front loaded?) horn, the short answer is "no".

You must ask yourself where the losses originate, and if the same conditions applies to both vented enclosures and horns. QL is the enclosure losses, like leakage etc. It may also include port losses and a little stuffing. Basically it lumps all unspecified losses into one fuzzy variable.

The losses reduce the port output, since they reduce the Q of the port resonance: the Helmholtz resonance between the enclosure volume and the port air mass. This is not how horns operate, the peaks in the horn comes from standing waves in the horn itself. Also, a port typically has smaller area and higher flow velocities than a horn, a horn will therefore have much lower losses than a port. The peaks in the two systems therefore have two different causes, and they should be treated differently. Making the horn peaks larger means making the horn more resonant (for instance by making the mouth smaller), while this may increase the output at the peaks, it will reduce it in the troughs. A vented enclosure creates additional output at a single frequency by using a resonator. A horn increases the output over a wide frequency range by raising the radiation efficiency wideband. Resonances are not desired, but is usually part of the compromises one has to make in order to get an acceptably sized horn.

Are comparing an actual horn enclosure to a vented box, or a vented box with a horn-shaped port? If you're looking at an actual (front loaded?) horn, the short answer is "no".

You must ask yourself where the losses originate, and if the same conditions applies to both vented enclosures and horns. QL is the enclosure losses, like leakage etc. It may also include port losses and a little stuffing. Basically it lumps all unspecified losses into one fuzzy variable.

The losses reduce the port output, since they reduce the Q of the port resonance: the Helmholtz resonance between the enclosure volume and the port air mass. This is not how horns operate, the peaks in the horn comes from standing waves in the horn itself. Also, a port typically has smaller area and higher flow velocities than a horn, a horn will therefore have much lower losses than a port. The peaks in the two systems therefore have two different causes, and they should be treated differently. Making the horn peaks larger means making the horn more resonant (for instance by making the mouth smaller), while this may increase the output at the peaks, it will reduce it in the troughs. A vented enclosure creates additional output at a single frequency by using a resonator. A horn increases the output over a wide frequency range by raising the radiation efficiency wideband. Resonances are not desired, but is usually part of the compromises one has to make in order to get an acceptably sized horn.
In this specific case, it's a very large ported vs offset t-line tuned to 20hz, due to no size restraints the port is extremely large and peak velocity is well under 10/ms, so port losses should be comparable to the t-lines losses in that aspect

I am going for a slight upwards curve towards 20hz so it sounds flat to my ear, not a mic, so you understand why I would want a peak

I can simply adjust my t-lines peak by adjusting overall cross sectional area, in my case the t-line is only adding output on the low end identically to the ported, but I have no idea how large the peak needs to be to make it match the ported in the real world, I have a lot of experience building ported boxes with hornresp so I know the peak on the ported is how I want it to sound. Right now I have my t-line peak to match the ported when it's set to lossless, which idk if its too much or not

Pretty much everything is identical with these two enclosures, they are the same size, same shaped response, same spl, similar velocities through the enclosure, same impedance curve, same driver displacement, same group delay, it's just a matter of how big the peak on the t-line actually needs to be to match the ported when set to ql 7