Hornresp

After having had a closer look, I simply cannot justify the amount of work required to add the requested new feature - too many things would need to be changed.

Despite the amount of work involved, I have decided to go ahead and implement the feature anyway :).

So far it has required 87 additions and changes to various parts of the program. Hopefully everything can be completed in time for the next update.

I've included the .dat file, maybe you can simulate the small bug this way.

Thanks Danny, for the copy of the data file.

The results I get for both SH1 records in your file are just fine. This is getting weirder by the minute!

Is anyone else out there experiencing the same problem as Danny?

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 134
Yep, this is really weird.
But it's just a small cosmetic bug, the simulations are fine :)

I've tried it now 3 different windows10 computers and I get the same result.

A culprit are often the regional settings, but on my PCs I use also a "." as decimal separator instead of the standard "," in Belgium.

As long as the simulations are fine it's no problem :)

Attachments

• RegionAdd.gif
    RegionAdd.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Region.gif
    Region.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 138
  • SmallBug.gif
    SmallBug.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 136
Hornresp friend at last

Hi all,
Since a while I am not only a fan of Hornresp but also a "friend" with it´s logic.

Have continued with my Coupling chamber MLTL for the SS8531 which is now coming out quite good. Both from a Hornresp design and physical design perspective. Will be a 2-way together with a SS2608 (in a wave guide from Diyaudio>Elsinore) in a six-sided design with a slightly tilted baffle. Feel rather satisfied with it. The six sided design cater for a stable box and leaves av very esthetical small face from wherever you se the speaker. Like the Rauna Oden i already have.

The only annoying thing is that I can´t get rid of a 1,x db dip at 100 Hz whatever change I do to the design. But I guess I can live with that, if not anyone just have a great theory of explanation out of their pocket. :)

Attachments

• Skärmklipp_2.JPG
    Skärmklipp_2.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Skärmklipp_1.JPG
    Skärmklipp_1.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hi all,
Since a while I am not only a fan of Hornresp but also a "friend" with it´s logic.

Have continued with my Coupling chamber MLTL for the SS8531 which is now coming out quite good. Both from a Hornresp design and physical design perspective. Will be a 2-way together with a SS2608 (in a wave guide from Diyaudio>Elsinore) in a six-sided design with a slightly tilted baffle. Feel rather satisfied with it. The six sided design cater for a stable box and leaves av very esthetical small face from wherever you se the speaker. Like the Rauna Oden i already have.

The only annoying thing is that I can´t get rid of a 1,x db dip at 100 Hz whatever change I do to the design. But I guess I can live with that, if not anyone just have a great theory of explanation out of their pocket. :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D

I've tried it now 3 different windows10 computers and I get the same result.

I have Windows 7. Perhaps the problem only occurs with Windows 10.

It would be helpful if someone else with Windows 10 could check to see if they also have the problem.

A culprit are often the regional settings, but on my PCs I use also a "." as decimal separator instead of the standard "," in Belgium.

I tried using your settings - Dutch (Belgium) with the decimal separator changed from "," to "." but my schematics were still correct.

As long as the simulations are fine it's no problem :)

Maybe not to you, but I would really like to know why our results are different - it just doesn't make sense. There must be a reason though... :).

So you're adding the ability to gap multiple drivers in the OD function?

No, I was referring to the feature requested by thomgiles in Post #11633:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-1164.html#post6517643

With a bit of effort it is already possible using the three-way multiple entry horn loudspeaker model to see how the output from a transmission line is affected by changing the positions of two separated drivers. In the attached example, with the S2, S3 and S4 sliders set to Auto, adjusting the L12 slider moves the position of the first driver relative to the second, and adjusting the L23 slider moves the position of the second driver relative to the first.

Note that ME1 has a large rear chamber to simulate direct radiation from the rear side of the ME1 diaphragm, that Nd has Eg and Sd set to very small values to remove the effect of the Nd driver, and that the Horn Mouth Output is the only valid power response to consider. It is not possible to accurately calculate the total power output for this configuration because one of the drivers of interest (ME1) has a sealed rear chamber.

Other limitations of this method are that stepped segments cannot be specified and absorbent filling material cannot be added to the transmission line

Attachments

• Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    63 KB · Views: 68
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Nd.txt
    1 KB · Views: 35
  • ME2.txt
    1 KB · Views: 35
  • ME1.txt
    1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I would really like to know why our results are different - it just doesn't make sense. There must be a reason though... :).

Yes, it's disturbing not to know the cause, the bug manifests itself in the schematic.
But it could be that the API that has the bug is also used in other parts.

I Just found something: In windows 10 you can set a program to compatibility mode (right-click properties)
If I set it to windows 8 the bug is gone :)

Attachments

• HornRespComp.gif
    HornRespComp.gif
    18.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I have Windows 7. Perhaps the problem only occurs with Windows 10.

It would be helpful if someone else with Windows 10 could check to see if they also have the problem.

I tried using your settings - Dutch (Belgium) with the decimal separator changed from "," to "." but my schematics were still correct.

Maybe not to you, but I would really like to know why our results are different - it just doesn't make sense. There must be a reason though... :).

These are my result from exactly the two different inputs as Danny Described them. (Windows 10, last Hornresp version). I just let the filling be as it was from my last designs.

Attachments

• Skärmklipp_3.JPG
    Skärmklipp_3.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Skärmklipp_4.JPG
    Skärmklipp_4.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 118
I Just found something: In windows 10 you can set a program to compatibility mode (right-click properties)
If I set it to windows 8 the bug is gone :)

It's getting even more strange:
the bug was gone with setting compatibility mode to windows 8.
As check I removed the compatibility mode windows 8, so back to windows 10,
and strangely the bug is still gone.

So set Hornresp once to compatibility mode 8, and it's OK even if you remove the compatibility mode afterwards
Yes there's no logic in it, but it works :)

So set Hornresp once to compatibility mode 8, and it's OK even if you remove the compatibility mode afterwards

Thanks for not giving up on this. It's great that you found a solution - I am a lot happier now :). I have no idea how the schematic in the wizard could have been correct but the main one wrong, as both use effectively the same code to draw the diagrams. There is obviously a compatibility issue somewhere, but I don't think it is due to a bug in Hornresp :).

It's getting even more strange:
the bug was gone with setting compatibility mode to windows 8.
As check I removed the compatibility mode windows 8, so back to windows 10,
and strangely the bug is still gone.

Which folder are you running Hornresp from? Could you please post the full path?