Hornresp

HORNRESP VERSION 20.00

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp Version 20.00 has just been released. The program has been converted to 32-bit operation to make it compatible with the latest Microsoft 64-bit platforms, and hopefully also with AMD Athlon processors.

The new release of Hornresp is designed to function in exactly the same way as the previous 16-bit version. Could you please let me know if you find any differences.

I would also appreciate feedback on how well the program works with Windows XP 64 and Vista 64 operating systems, and with AMD Athlon processors.

I hope you enjoy using the new release.

Kind regards,

David

Sabbelbacke said:
Was it enough to recompile it or was it necessary to do a lot of changes?
Just tested on an Athlon XP, works fine here on first glance.

Hi Sabbelbacke,

I found that a number of minor changes were required to make everything work exactly the same way, but essentially it was just a matter of recompiling the source code using Microsoft Visual Basic 6 rather than VB3.

Since the first release I found something else that had to be changed, and have just released an update - Product Number 2000-081013 refers.

Thanks for the feedback on the results of your Athlon XP test. From all accounts it seems that everything is working pretty well at this stage.

Kind regards,

David

cowanaudio said:
G'day David

It's funny, I've been running Hornresp in it's various versions over the years on an XP Athlon, and never had a crash. There must be a bit more to it, but thanks again for the upgrade.

William Cowan

Hi William,

The Athlon processor issue is really weird - some users like yourself have had no problems at all, whereas others have not been able to get Hornresp to run no matter what they try.

Hopefully the program will now work for everyone :).

Kind regards,

David

Brett said:
The new version boots under Vista and I can input data and get results that look right, but I've only had a quick look so far.

Hi Brett,

Thanks for confirming that Hornresp now works with your new Vista operating system.

I continue to refine the code to make the operation of the VB3 and VB6 versions identical. The latest release is Product Number 2000-081014.

Kind regards,

David

David McBean said:

Hi Brett,

Thanks for confirming that Hornresp now works with your new Vista operating system.

I continue to refine the code to make the operation of the VB3 and VB6 versions identical. The latest release is Product Number 2000-081014.

Kind regards,

David
David,

I'm really busy for a week, then away for a week, but I need to do some simulation work when I get back and will let you know if I have any issues. However, I'm confident there won't be, but I'll let you know in detail if I find anything amiss.

Cheers

I'm tearing my hair out so I have a few questions. V419

1) What hornresp shows and what the 9 cabinets I've built and test show do not agree. Horn resp shows a dip in response where I have peaks. I tweaked the amp impedence to get the post test to match the actual paper test. What am I doing wrong?
Does the tapped horn wizard include combined response?
When I calculate the results, is it combined or horn only?

2) How do I input compression into hornresp. I.E. I have a 15 inch driver and I want a 440 sq cm (roughly) hole that the driver fires into resulting in 2:1 compression. Or perhaps a V opening.

Example:
Freq Test cab horn resp
40 78db 95
45 92 98
55 104 101
60 95 98
70 104 96
90 78 97
105 95 100
120 95 92
140 98 98

Two suggestions.
1) I'm sure everyone has asked for more segments.

2) Ability to set the tapped horn wizard result window
to MAX spl (with a default setting you can set).
Possibly also the Phase and electrical impedence.
I found I got results more in line with what I needed by using max spl. The last test box tested about right compared to horn resp results with 300w using the max spl. Since I do LOUD shows
the max response is important.
Thanks.

Donations? To where do I send it? Nice program.

There are quite some possibilities to consider, so I've written down some I can think of, you can eliminate some to narrow down the problem.

1) Possible options:

- You didn't simulate correctly (you didn't made what you were simulating).
- The measurement wasn't correct (this can include effects of the envirement on the measurement, i.e. standing waves).
- You're not using the latest version of Hornresp (some earlier versions contained errors for tapped horn simulation).
- The T/S-parameters of the simulated driver do mismatch the T/S-parameters of the measured driver by far.
- Hornresp is wrong.

The T/S-parameters given by manufacturers are usually measured after a pre- conditiong round (so the voice coil is getting warmed up). Higher power means an elevated temperature in the voice coil, which in turn changes the T/S-parameters. That's why it's better to do a 28,3 V/10 m measurement than a 2,83 V/ 1 m measurement (especially for PA).

2) Compression ratio in a tapped horn and offset horn is Sd / S2.

Regards Johan

Rademakers said:
There are quite some possibilities to consider, so I've written down some I can think of, you can eliminate some to narrow down the problem.

1) Possible options:

- You didn't simulate correctly (you didn't made what you were simulating).
- The measurement wasn't correct (this can include effects of the envirement on the measurement, i.e. standing waves).
- You're not using the latest version of Hornresp (some earlier versions contained errors for tapped horn simulation).
- The T/S-parameters of the simulated driver do mismatch the T/S-parameters of the measured driver by far.
- Hornresp is wrong.

The T/S-parameters given by manufacturers are usually measured after a pre- conditiong round (so the voice coil is getting warmed up). Higher power means an elevated temperature in the voice coil, which in turn changes the T/S-parameters. That's why it's better to do a 28,3 V/10 m measurement than a 2,83 V/ 1 m measurement (especially for PA).

2) Compression ratio in a tapped horn and offset horn is Sd / S2.

Regards Johan

I actually re measured the physical cabinet and made corrections in horn resp. I then tried to make the physically modeled and tested measurements match in hornresp by throwing it off to no avail. Then it hit me... I had marked where I heard phase cancellations in my measurements. I checked the phase response and there was part of it. Would be nice if you could combine the output and optionally add in the phase error in the tapped horn window.

I did use the Danley 10m measurement method.

Thanks for the tips. The tapped horn wizard is sweet, maybe David will add more wizards..... maybe we should refer to him as the wizard.

:xeye:

screamersusa said:
Does the tapped horn wizard include combined response?
When I calculate the results, is it combined or horn only?

Hi screamersusa,

For a tapped horn, Hornresp calculates the SPL at a distance of one metre from the horn mouth. The outputs from both sides of the diaphragm are taken into account. Hope this answers your "combined response" question.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,

in your help file for the system design function, you write that it designs an optimum system for the given frequency range and driver. Now, i observed that the frequency response often has these little and regular peaks, while handmade designs can have a flatter frequency response within the same size restrictions. Can you (or whoever knows better than me) explain what design criteria "optimal" refers to?

Hornresp v20 looks like a great improvement, i got random crashes on my amd/winxp system with v19 and before, especially while running other software in the background, which seem to have stopped now.

As allways, thanks for your awesome software. :)