Homebrew Digital Sampling Audio spectrum analyser.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I agree Bob, it is also unfortunate to see Syn08 Binned again. Seems they don't want real competent engineers here. I have told other friends that people don't appreciate real work unless they have to pay for it. Imagine what one would have to pay to get Syn08's designs under contract ... LOL! I believe that we're seeing bias against real degreed engineers here and that is unfortunate.

I have considered putting some of my work on forums in the past, but I hold back and do very little since it is not often appreciated.

I'm curious, who "they" are. You've started taking action and telling people this and that, but do you even know what happened? Are you of the opinion that a real competent engineer should be allowed to swear openly, insult, degrade another user for absolutely no reason whatsoever? I'm asking because I'm curious PB2, how much insult you would allow somebody else to incur from the competent engineer if you had the power to stop the insults? I make these comments as a regular member, not as moderator.

I'm curious, who "they" are. You've started taking action and telling people this and that, but do you even know what happened? Are you of the opinion that a real competent engineer should be allowed to swear openly, insult, degrade another user for absolutely no reason whatsoever? I'm asking because I'm curious PB2, how much insult you would allow somebody else to incur from the competent engineer if you had the power to stop the insults? I make these comments as a regular member, not as moderator.

I don't think it is possible to swear here the system automatically **** them out.
Let the guy blow off some steam with **** when another is antagonizing him ...
so what?

I stopped taking online interactions too seriously a long time ago ... other than
helping nice, reasonable people from time to time. Perhaps syn08 will see the
light and do the same ... he asked to be banned, seems he is on the way to
throwing his hands up with the this community.

We lost andy_c in case you've not noticed.

I really don't want to debate you on this, so I'd rather drop it at this point.

Last edited:
PB2,

As one well educated and polite, I deplore the rudeness, bad manners, and overweaning arrogance of some of our dearly departed members. Strong technical contribution never justifies base behaviour, since it cheapens forum tone and drives people away.

It is as though some felt their intelligence and ability, self-proclaimed in many cases, is sufficient excuse to behave badly toward others regarded as intellectual inferiors.

Some might go on about prejudice against degreed engineers, that is probably taking it to victim status, but there is a pervasive notion here that merchants are dishonest, never to be trusted, and ripe for derision.

I think there is too much credentialism, a high priesthood if you will. Education is desirable, sure, but productivity and proven design ability is essential if people are to be experts. Classic case is NP, who is unfailingly polite and helpful. The arrogance from some of the clever fellows here utterly negates their humanity. The SS forum has, in the past, been a disgrace at times. Fortunately this is now mostly in the past though right now Stee is being attacked for his 'incompetence'. Learners, particularly those of creative bent, should always be tolerated and indeed, encouraged.

Agree emphatically with Iko, and have no regrets about seeing some of the rude guys now absent. Their contribution was conditional upon group adulation. This is generally not true of present company, so hats off guys.

PB2,

As one well educated and polite, I deplore the rudeness, bad manners, and overweaning arrogance of some of our dearly departed members. Strong technical contribution never justifies base behaviour, since it cheapens forum tone and drives people away.

It is as though some felt their intelligence and ability, self-proclaimed in many cases, is sufficient excuse to behave badly toward others regarded as intellectual inferiors.

Some might go on about prejudice against degreed engineers, that is probably taking it to victim status, but there is a pervasive notion here that merchants are dishonest, never to be trusted, and ripe for derision.

I think there is too much credentialism, a high priesthood if you will. Education is desirable, sure, but productivity and proven design ability is essential if people are to be experts. Classic case is NP, who is unfailingly polite and helpful. The arrogance from some of the clever fellows here utterly negates their humanity. The SS forum has, in the past, been a disgrace at times. Fortunately this is now mostly in the past though right now Stee is being attacked for his 'incompetence'. Learners, particularly those of creative bent, should always be tolerated and indeed, encouraged.

Agree emphatically with Iko, and have no regrets about seeing some of the rude guys now absent. Their contribution was conditional upon group adulation. This is generally not true of present company, so hats off guys.

"Some might go on about prejudice against degreed engineers, that is probably taking it to victim status, but there is a pervasive notion here that merchants are dishonest, never to be trusted, and ripe for derision"
Victim status? No ... just a factual observation as I see it. Worried about your image here? I never said anything about merchants here, is that an open wound for you?

I notice that you speak as if you have a right to speak for everyone, or as if your statements are absolute truths ... there are some who act as if they are polite yet do not have the best intentions, rather they use underhanded methods toward their self promotion. I am of the opinion that those selling product here should stay out of discussions like this or only be allowed in certain sections of the forum. It is to your advantage that they left since you can continue to promote your (flawed) ideas. I noticed years ago how polite you were, and thought that it was probably due to the fact that you had product to sell, however in the past few years I've seen a change in your attitude perhaps in the hope of driving some people away - not sure, don't really care. I'll simply say that I disagree with you about it being a better place now that they have left. Your opinion offered here is just that, and while you may think it is best and everyone should agree I do not. I do agree that it is best to be polite, however you must accept that the world will not bend just to please you and your ideals. One thing I noticed about you is your way of spinning things, you say you agree with Iko however Iko says he is sad to see them leave and you say your are happy to see them go .... that is agreeing? **, just you being political again.

Your amp that is currently being discussed is the RCA quasi comp reference design made complementary ... you call that a contribution? I scratch built the Harman Kardon Citation 12 version in 6th grade as a child. You call it protected IP ... that is laughable. To compare your offerings to Syn08's ????? I'll hold back my comments because I'd have to be rude if I were to say anything more.

Now, I have no interest in debating you and wasting my time ... thanks!

Last edited:
Hello PB2

Knowing Hugh since few years, I would not say that he was polite only to sell his products.

You talk about change in his attitude, if there is some changes it's because of the continuous attack against him from some members of the forum, most of those attack come from guys who never listen to any of his amps.

A good discussions with strong arguments are ok, but it should stay withing some boundaries of mutual respect.

And about those selling products here, most of them contributed a lot into the forum, so keeping them out of discussions like this, or any discussions, would be unfair, and allowing them to post only in certain sections of the forum would just create a kind of gheto in our forum.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
"Some might go on about prejudice against degreed engineers, that is probably taking it to victim status, but there is a pervasive notion here that merchants are dishonest, never to be trusted, and ripe for derision"
Victim status? No ... just a factual observation as I see it. Worried about your image here? I never said anything about merchants here, is that an open wound for you?

I notice that you speak as if you have a right to speak for everyone, or as if your statements are absolute truths ... there are some who act as if they are polite yet do not have the best intentions, rather they use underhanded methods toward their self promotion. I am of the opinion that those selling product here should stay out of discussions like this or only be allowed in certain sections of the forum. It is to your advantage that they left since you can continue to promote your (flawed) ideas. I noticed years ago how polite you were, and thought that it was probably due to the fact that you had product to sell, however in the past few years I've seen a change in your attitude perhaps in the hope of driving some people away - not sure, don't really care. I'll simply say that I disagree with you about it being a better place now that they have left. Your opinion offered here is just that, and while you may think it is best and everyone should agree I do not. I do agree that it is best to be polite, however you must accept that the world will not bend just to please you and your ideals. One thing I noticed about you is your way of spinning things, you say you agree with Iko however Iko says he is sad to see them leave and you say your are happy to see them go .... that is agreeing? **, just you being political again.

Your amp that is currently being discussed is the RCA quasi comp reference design made complementary ... you call that a contribution? I scratch built the Harman Kardon Citation 12 version in 6th grade as a child. You call it protected IP ... that is laughable. To compare your offerings to Syn08's ????? I'll hold back my comments because I'd have to be rude if I were to say anything more.

Now, I have no interest in debating you and wasting my time ... thanks!

A good post Pete

BTW: it seems like Mr. aksa is throwing his **** in other threads as well.

PB2,

My comments confirmed, your rudeness and cynicism demean you. My aim is to raise the tone of interactions, never to sell product. That's left to formal advertising; my contributions are personal, not business, and your judgement on this matter is deeply flawed since you assume everyone wants to be a millionaire. Absurd.

I have never claimed to have made a technical contribution. But then, have you? You are afeared of being copied, it seems. No open wounds either, honest as the day, however are you the victim here?

Opinions are ubiquitous, some are smelly. Intelligence or charm cannot disguise the odor of many ideas, particularly those of a behavioural nature, and your convictions of technical merit may well be off the mark as technology changes.

You know nothing of me or my products and designs, yet condemn on hearsay and hint. Neither do I compare myself with anyone else, you have done that, indicating you are here to judge and impress. Perhaps it is 'degreed engineers' who should be banned from a DIY forum so they can have properly intelligent conversations elsewhere with others of their ability?

No more on the matter.

I agree Bob, it is also unfortunate to see Syn08 Binned again. Seems they don't want real competent engineers here.

Hi Pete,

No, that's not the reason.
1 - This forum has nothing against competent engineers.
2 - He is not a real competent engineer, rather a hobbyist.
3 - He deliberately asked for a bin or ban and probably will do it again:
"Funny enough, they refused to ban me from DIYAudio, although I explicitely asked for. Doesn't matter, in a few days I'll shoot another pile
of crap in their face, until they'll get sick of. Call this indulging in a morbid pleasure.
:rofl: " (quoted from the 'other' forum)

Cheers,
Edmond

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.