Hirez SACD and DVD-A digital output for Pioneer DV-575A and DV-578A (dsd to pcm)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Charly,

my DV-600 AV has arrived and as you know I had some problems with noise because I used the wrong chip 74HC244 instead of 74HCT244. Thanks again for your quick help.
I replaced the chip and everything is working 100%. I am using the 96KHz configuration to output the signal of CD, SACD and DVD-Audio on the S/PDIF port.
I have mounted the board in a different way, If somebody is interested here is a picture...

Attachments

• highres dv-600 av.jpg
    highres dv-600 av.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 788
Hi, I am a new comer to this forum. I am interewted in the DIY kit for the hIREZ sacd. Could you send me more information? By the way could the DIY kit be applied to Pioneer 989?

I am currently using Musical Fidelity KW SACD. Can I modify my MF SACD with this DIY kit?

What SACD player can gives higher sampling rate for this conversion?
Thank you!

the only potential to sound better "on paper" comes when the production team keeps the source material in DSD format for the duration of the recording/mixing/mastering process. There are several DSD-compatible DAW(Digital Audio Workstation) programs(Sadie, Pyramix,Sonoma, Sonic Solutions for example) but between them there exist vast differences with regards to how they handle the DSD editing.

Pyramix: as soon as it is put in mix/edit mode, converts the DSD source to 24bit,325.8kHz PCM for ALL editing and then re-converts back to DSD for the output to digital to analog conversion for mastering.. ALL DSD audio,start>>finish, has undergone a conversion/re-conversion process. It is not a matter of simple math, either, but a string of internal pcm and delta sigma converters...

The Sonoma System and SaDIE keeps the DSD source integrity, with no conversion back to standard PCM whatsoever except at the actual edit crossfade, where an insertion occurs for the duration of the crossfade of 8bit,2.8Mhz pcm and back to DSD. Again, this conversion is ONLY at the crossfade.

So..

DSD can do very well in one (1) application: Mastering from analogue. When the recording chain is totally analogue, you can take the signal straight from the analog chain into a DSD compatible A/D converter straight to disc with no processing.(such as with the new Living Stereo reissues) BUT...when we convert the signal more than once, we lose all transparency, due to HF noise resulting from the source signal hitting a second analogue delta/sigma modulation.
so, as far as comparing redbook cds to the same material that has simply been upsampled to dsd..there is no possible way that the SACD could be superior to the standard CD!

I have a simpler version running. Cirrus being so complicated, I got samples from Texas Instruments and used their DIT4096.

Connections according to attached picture. The numbers at the SCK, BCK, LRCK and DATA arrows denote pin numbers of the sterero-mode-PCM1742 (the right-most) where they go to.
If you can't read something or have other questions, please ask.

5V-power I took from the bigger capacitor (1000µF,6.3V) which is C8029. I had to get a service manual because I made a very short short which killed a transistor in the power supply...

Now it's running very fine, and sounds much better through my own DAC, which luckily switches automatically between optical and coax-input, depending on whether there is an optical signal present.

CD output doesn't work through the DIT, maybe different data format? But DVD-Audio 24/96 works :)

Maybe I'll post a foto later...

Edit: I have a Pioneer DV-585A.

Hello,
Your argumento is very interesting, have you tried if it works with SACD?
Thanks

Which Pio unit is "best" for mod; source=SACD,DVD-A

Hi Folks

I'm in teh UK & very interested in going down this mod route, as I have a Mark Levinson 360s DAC which can take up to 24bit/96kHz digital input.

I believe the full list of Pioneer units that can be modded are:
DV-600AV,DV-575A,DV-578A,DV-585A,DV-588A,DV-696AV

I will have to buy one to start with, preferably pre-owned (using something like ebay).

I primarily want one for the stereo mod to 24bit digital output for SACD & DVD-A, but given that I will be giving it house-room, may end up using it for DVD playing too..

I also note that there are loads of 575A units on ebayUK which seem to go really cheap.

Is there any unit which is "better" than others for my uses above?

Hi mik190 !
It seems topicstarter leave this project and not support it anymore.After my question without answer(on previous page) more then 3 years ago I made my own digital board with six channels support and more cheaper.My story about tweaking DV-696 (on russian language):hifionpc.com • View topic - ??????????????? ???????? ???????? ??????????
Photos on that site damaged and I attached it here.
From DV-575 to 600 was similar schematics and parts.But I can't say anything about new models of players.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 218
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.