Hiraga 30Watt build… can't get it right (help!)

Indeed!

last mod before i can go listening again. Mounted the drivers on the chassis. Thermally this part of the chassis is not soo much thermally coupled to the heatsink, so i dont expect thermal runaway. The drivers stay cool now, temp measured 35C after 1 hour running (was 60C). I had to lower the 33K resistors on the base of the drivers to 28K to get 1.1 Amp current. No drift on the output whatsoever! Humm gone, ringing gone, drift gone :)

18.jpg

(dont mention my terrible solder job on the drivers ;-) That will be fixed in de next version)

Last edited:
Tonight first listening after all mods! . Found out during testing on my workbench that with closed top cover temps go up to 50C inside, thats too much for me, so I put a new topcover on. 40C now, wich is much better. This thing weighs a hefty 25 kilograms :-( so I hope I dont break my back.

19.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
So how does it sound ?
Im amazed!. By no means I'm no expert, but the last 35 years i listened to some speakers, amplifiers and whatever audiophile components (in the 1000/2000 Euro range), this amp sounds very very good. Very daynamic, lots of decay, huge soundstage placing and detailing..... and Ive only listened to one CD a really know well :

https://www.muziekweb.nl/en/Link/JFX0871/Because-of-you?TrackID=JFX0871-0006

Very nice chesky recording. Sounds the best so far on this amp (as far as I can remeber.)

Reactions: 1 user
project ended for now. Sounds fabulus on my KEF reference 101's and my audiostatics 100. Added new frontplate and velleman DC protection for the speaker outputs and that works just fine. Now, new project, philips CD player TDA5141A with some mods. tnx for your help making this work ! ;-)

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: