High quality Dante multi way system for DIYers

Pardon the poor quality this is the mid high section way in the back of my Hifi sideboard.
As you can see two I2S pairs for transmiting and two for receiving. On the other side I attached the cut Lan cable to the pins. The markings on the board are pretty much self exlanatory.

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_171351.jpg
    IMG_20220619_171351.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 216
How do you send data to the Monism - is it ethernet from a PC? What software players work ?
Yes Ethernet. In the above pic you can see that I just cut the Lan cable and soldered it to the pins. The underside of the boards are marked fool proof. When ordering tell Lili you need the connector not only holes. I forgot to tell her and had a real problem to solder the wire to the narrow spaced holes.

Honestly mate, I looked it all up back then; but I did not look into it in detail as to be able to give you advice and I dont own a soekris. the soekris is able to set basic input type iirc (i2s, PCM, Left justified, right justified). It is spelled out in the quote. It does not output i2s. There are a number of variants of i2s and various dacs support various types. It is possible there may be a solution there, but i'm not the person to ask, Soekris is. I can only say what I said already. some AKM dacs have a mode called EXDF mode (external digital filter) and this card is designed for use with them specifically. it is designed as part of a very closed system, so you will struggle getting much information. You may look back through the AK4497 datasheet and other AKM parts for information on EXDF mode.

What would it take to connect a Soekris DAM1021 for example?
What's the issue?

Soekris apparently takes standard I2S (two channel multiplexed on data in) without wanting a Master Clock:

1655811962982.png

While Monism delivers the same standard I2S:

MONISM MNS-DANTE-I2S-R-04-1P For networked audio receiver products requiring 4 channels at sample rates of 88.2 and 96kHz [16, 24 or 32-bit].

1655811901617.png

This looks like a simple direct fit.

This would allow R2R DAC lovers to build a stereo pair of active four way speakers that should be time aligned via Dante using two Monisms boards (one per speaker) and four Soekris DAM1021 (two per speaker) with full control of cross overs all done in the PC. The limit is Dante running at 96kHz but often DACs seem to hit a performance sweet spot around 96kHz anyway.

But I dont have either Dante or Soekris so Im just guessing :unsure:

from memory it was basically an issue of the data lines not being multiplexed like standard i2s would be. as its designed for audio interfaces where single streams are used more than stereo pairs.

The only thing that I need to figure out is how to get my AK4490 an AK4495
dac boards to accept serial control mode because data is not sent out
on a left/right stream over one data pin but as two separate streams over two
data pins.

It has the potential/options to be a powerful DSP/stream manager, but it also appears to include more than its fair share of proprietary headf$%k. Looking back on the thread, it was basically an issue of being mono, being a production card, prioritising single mix channels vs stereo pairs (multiplexed data) required by soekris and most other dacs and needing to either be able to accept i2s with non-multiplexed data, or provide a circuit that converts it in hardware. That is just one of the gotchas and there is no easy way to re-program the firmware. I believe some users were having issues with it putting out garbage signals on clock change/samplerate change and requiring mute be set.

Aha, I see. perhaps the monoism card does not suffer this like the Brooklyn II Dante card my original comment was relating to? I dont have the time tonight to look, but perhaps that is where the confusion is on my part. Is the monoism dante card able to output multiplexed data for i2s? it would appear so just looking at the pinout there.

Last edited:
The Monisms work in normal I2S mode. There was nothing I had to do to get it to work with my AK4490.
The Brooklyn II has totally different customers in mind. It is mainly used for professionel Audio applications. Afaik it can put out 32 channels in 96khz mode and 16 channels in 192khz mode.
Data output is in TDM format going sequencially to the different output pins.
The nice thing about my $80 Chinese Dac is the fact that it has two AK4493 already working in software mode gouverned by an onboard microchip via I2C.
That would give me the chance to programm them as two separate dacs (4 channel) accepting TDM Data. For a guy with Pic Controller experience it would be a preeze.

Right, yes. So @maravedis you need not worry about the comment of mine you quoted wrt using the monoism cards; that comment was relating to the Brooklyn II, the monoism was not yet an option under discussion. Looks cool; if I had a bit of time I might have a play with embedding them. Is Monoism responsive and happy to supply more useful datasheets if you buy the cards from them? Do they well maintain the MAC/PC plugins for selecting/using the IP on the cards as regular soundcard outputs?

Radian, could you explain to a 5-year old how to get this up and running babystep-by-babystep please.
Indeed, I think that's where I'm at too! lol It does look very promising I must admit. I had a dig around the monisms website and they make reference to DACs (they must have them onboard for their imbedded amplifier product?) but I can't see any in the product lineup. It would be cool to find a monisms card with analog line level outputs and not need to worry about I2S.

This may have already been addressed, but does this all require dedicated AES67 network hardware in the form or a switch or router? I gather maybe not - my reading of the audinate documentation leads me to hope that the device just grabs an address using DHCP like any other device on a local network? Power over Ethernet is a separate issue of course and that would require separate hardware presumably.

Last edited:
Actually I don't care.
The difference in the sound quality is all that matters to me.
I don't know why Windows Server 2016 sounds better than Windows 10.
I also don't know why running the OS entirely in RAM sounds better.
Bit perfect locally reclocked should also sound the same in all different Transports, be it mechanical or software but it just dosen't.
I stay away from endless theoretical debates and try things out myself.
Its because your dac is picking up power supply noise from your computer. Reclocking won't fix that. You need one, or maybe in a very severe case two stages of galvanic isolation. Its much simpler than fiddling around with Dante for home use.

Windows server is optimized for background tasks (i.e. running services). By default windows desktop OS's are optimized for foreground tasks. They can vary in how much disk access they use when running certain types of processes. Running the OS from memory eliminates/reduces power supply noise from disk drives.