Hidden subs (WAF requirement) design considerations

We recently did a full renovation ... no more rebuilding please ... :mad:

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Any other suggestions ?

You bet.

The room looks very lively (like most of the pix of modern homes on this forum) and that can lead to atrocious sound even if the freq trace looks nice*. Any absorbent placed anywhere in the space will be beneficial, but of course, smarter is smarter.

Fibreglass panels are the most feasible material and can be tucked away in all kinds of invisible places (like behind picture frames) with easy fastening. Pity if you didn't replace some drywall with Tectum and acoustic fibreglass batts during the re-construction.

Buy lots of pillow stuffing to add to your enclosure. There are magic beliefs about how much and what kind to use but the more the better up to a point.

Your work looks beautiful and you clearly are the thinking-person's model.

B.
* there's a psycho-acoustic forum hidden nearby. See if you can find it. Good luck. Why isn't it with Loudspeakers?

Last edited:
Option #4 Revisited

Please have a look at 3 possible scenario's that will fit in the steel frame:

>snip<

Any other suggestions ?

>snip<

Do your two Lilliputians really need a Gulliver?

Use of resonant air columns to improve driver efficiency is contra indicated given the relatively small listening space and the invisibility requirement that you have.

Note that each driver used in the recommended Rithmik DS800 CI (F8) configuration requires a separate enclosure of 25 liters internal volume with a behind baffle clearance of 13 cm. As the driver cones are lightweight, suspension sag due to down-firing should be minimized. Also this solution is scalable to say, at least 4-drivers.

You should obtain a beneficial (efficiency enhancing) acoustic loading of the drivers by this arrangement as they will be radiating into a space confined by the floor, heavy credenza planking and masonry back wall.

The attached documents, present additional information that may be helpful.

WHG

Attachments

• DS800.pdf
    353.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DS800CI.pdf
    457.5 KB · Views: 78
  • RythmikAudioF8Review.pdf
    415.9 KB · Views: 89
My intention was not to ask "which subwoofer (system) should I buy" but to determine the best design like Open Baffle, Infinite Baffle, H-frame, U-frame or Sealed Box and then how to make this work best in the space confinements that I have to deal with :rolleyes:

RythmikAudio may have some nice subswoofers but I guess I should be looking at the individual units for custom installations and then I am back again to the initial design of the baffle/enclosure and than select the proper woofer for that :confused:

The "lively room" as described by @bentoronto is true.
We are still looking for a nice rug on the floor between the stereo and couch ... that will be the max in additional damping that we will add. No panels, diffusers or whatsoever.
I know from our former house that this already makes a huge difference.
Heavy curtains in front of the glass planes are unfortunate also not practical as we also have 2 "lively" cats :eek:

In my younger years (30 years ago .. haha) I had other living room requirements than I have now ... and learned that "a happy wife = happy life" which is actually very true.
In those younger years I could be the young guy in this hilarious movie fragment: YouTube

2 sets of speakers ago I had those magnificent Wharfedale E-90 (google them ;) ) but have been downsizing since :D

Last edited:
A Perfect Fit To Your Mission and Listening Tastes.

My intention was not to ask "which subwoofer (system) should I buy" but to determine the best design like Open Baffle, Infinite Baffle, H-frame, U-frame or Sealed Box and then how to make this work best in the space confinements that I have to deal with :rolleyes:

RythmikAudio may have some nice subswoofers but I guess I should be looking at the individual units for custom installations and then I am back again to the initial design of the baffle/enclosure and than select the proper woofer for that :confused:

The "lively room" as described by @bentoronto is true.
We are still looking for a nice rug on the floor between the stereo and couch ... that will be the max in additional damping that we will add. No panels, diffusers or whatsoever.
I know from our former house that this already makes a huge difference.
Heavy curtains in front of the glass planes are unfortunate also not practical as we also have 2 "lively" cats :eek:

In my younger years (30 years ago .. haha) I had other living room requirements than I have now ... and learned that "a happy wife = happy life" which is actually very true.
In those younger years I could be the young guy in this hilarious movie fragment: YouTube

2 sets of speakers ago I had those magnificent Wharfedale E-90 (google them ;) ) but have been downsizing since :D

The design recommendation is sealed with servo-control, which yields small foot-print, is easy to hide enclosures, that employ a technology that delivers a marked improvement in performance as well. As an EE, there should be no confusion about the important advantages of deploying a servo-control feedback loop in a electro-mechanical system. The only kit that I know of, that makes a custom implementation of this design easy to implement, risk free, and capable of meeting your mission, is CI DS800 kit by Rythmik. Certainly it is a perfect fit to your musical tests and wise observance of wifely aesthetic needs. BTW, I have no vested interest, in making this recommendation. By my persistence, I am trying to do you a favor. Please read/study the attachments as they enumerate in detail the basis of my recommendation.
If you decide to pursue this design strategy, I will be more than happy to assist you with the details of implementation.
Regards, WHG

Last edited:
.... that employ a technology that delivers a marked improvement in performance as well. As an EE, there should be no confusion about the important advantages of deploying a servo-control feedback loop in a electro-mechanical system. The only kit that I know of, that makes a custom implementation of this design easy to implement, risk free, and capable of meeting your mission, is CI DS800 kit by Rythmik.
True, true, true.

B.

A good friend of mine who has not seen the result after the renovation of our house has visited me this weekend.

He has a lot of experience with several kinds of speaker enclosures and we discussed the requirements.
We concluded that a sealed box would be easiest for me to implement (with my limited knowledge about speaker design).
I know the basics of WinISD which will be sufficient for this.

I will use two 12 inch units and run them parallel (8 --> 4 ohm) on a single plate amp (with dsp).
This will extend approx. as low as a 15 inch but with better speed and less problems with the weight of the cone etc. when installed down firing.

It will take some time before I will actually build something but now I know what to look fore and keep my eyes on a good deal for 2 suitable subwoofers :D

This also fits my budget of approx. 500-600 Euro max excl. the box.

Last edited:
Option #5

A good friend of mine who has not seen the result after the renovation of our house has visited me this weekend.

He has a lot of experience with several kinds of speaker enclosures and we discussed the requirements.
We concluded that a sealed box would be easiest for me to implement (with my limited knowledge about speaker design).
I know the basics of WinISD which will be sufficient for this.

I will use two 12 inch units and run them parallel (8 --> 4 ohm) on a single plate amp (with dsp).
This will extend approx. as low as a 15 inch but with better speed and less problems with the weight of the cone etc. when installed down firing.

It will take some time before I will actually build something but now I know what to look fore and keep my eyes on a good deal for 2 suitable subwoofers :D

This also fits my budget of approx. 500-600 Euro max excl. the box.

Rithmik Dual driver kit [1] with two DS1200 drivers and one HX580-12S amplifier up to 4.8 cu ft , $779 USD

This option is a near-enough to your budget using a pair of 12" drivers in sealed enclosures with a servo-control (SC). Again, without SC, the confined space your working in, is going to severely limit subwoofer performance.

In the enclosure drawing provided [2], only driver clearances and enclosure volume need be maintained. Enclosure height may be reduced by concomitant increases in enclosure width and depth. To implement these adjustments, recommend a separate, convection ventilated enclosure be used to house the plate amp. WHG

Attachments

• DS1200CI.pdf
    703.6 KB · Views: 273
  • DS1200DFE.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Don't forget shipment costs and VAT before it is delivered at my door in The Netherlands (Europe) so I am looking at close to 1.000 Euro all-in.

The volume should be sufficient with 150 liters, although the limited height when down-firing could be a potential issue.
Does a woofer need some minimum free space behind the conus or is it only the volume (in my case sideways) that counts ?

I can angle the woofer forwards and make use of some extra height towards the rear wall as the enclosure / woofer will still be invisible when sitting at the couch.

360.jpg

2x 12" Sealed in separate boxes, not connected to the steel frame sounds like a good plan to me.
But why do you want down firing? Just point the woofer to the wall and it couples fine with it.
1 Sub in the corner of the room and the other near that one is probably going to sound best.
And why an amp with dsp for the sub and not a Minidsp (or similar) for tops and subs and a separate sub amp (anything will do)?

// just watched the clip from the movie Ruthless People in post #47; now have to see the whole movie, thx.

Last edited:
Rithmik Dual driver kit [1] with two DS1200 drivers and one HX580-12S amplifier up to 4.8 cu ft , $779 USD

This option is a near-enough to your budget using a pair of 12" drivers in sealed enclosures with a servo-control (SC). Again, without SC, the confined space your working in, is going to severely limit subwoofer performance.

In the enclosure drawing provided [2], only driver clearances and enclosure volume need be maintained. Enclosure height may be reduced by concomitant increases in enclosure width and depth. To implement these adjustments, recommend a separate, convection ventilated enclosure be used to house the plate amp. WHG

Gotta ask and apologize if this is a dumb question. Does a servo sub correct for room, modes, etc?

Not Really

Gotta ask and apologize if this is a dumb question. Does a servo sub correct for room, modes, etc?

Servo control reproduces low clean bass and allows the drivers to be placed in small occupancy enclosures without sacrifice in low frequency response. To mitigate room modes requires multiple subs, typically three (beyond that diminishing returns) placed appropriately according to room geometry and size. Traps may be deployed as well.

For Earl Geddes' Articles on this subject, See Serious Audio: Two Great Articles on Multiple Subwoofers by Dr. Earl Geddes

WHG

Don't forget shipment costs and VAT before it is delivered at my door in The Netherlands (Europe) so I am looking at close to 1.000 Euro all-in.

>snip<

Does a woofer need some minimum free space behind the conus or is it only the volume (in my case sideways) that counts ?

The Volume Requirement Rules. Some minimal clearance is required to avoid buzzing. Inside the enclosure geometry dose not matter as the wavelengths of the frequencies of interest are much larger than enclosure dimensions.

I can angle the woofer forwards and make use of some extra height towards the rear wall as the enclosure / woofer will still be invisible when sitting at the couch.

360.jpg

Whether down-firing or back-firing, spacing should be 2-1/2" from bounding floor or wall surface. A gypsum board over studs wall would not be good. I have some reservation concerning driver inclination with respect to gravity and non-uniform acoustic loading across the driver all at the same time, but I have not investigated such arrangements.

WHG

Last edited: