• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Greetings

This is my latest DSP project based around an Analog Devices SHARC DSP and ES9018 Sabre DAC and ES9112 Sabre ADC.

• Analog Stereo Line Inputs -
    • Balanced Stereo Input Channels
      • 1 x XLR
    • Unbalanced Stereo Input Channels
      • 1 x XLR
      • 2 x RCA
    • OR
      • 1 x RCA
      • 1 x MM Phono Input with selectable impedance and RIAA curve
  • Home Theater Bypassing mode

Analog Audio Input Board

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Eight Channel Balanced Output Board

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This project sounds great answer to such use case where I want to optimize
- 2 channel analog input
- have connectivity to hometheater HT by pass for L+R
- DSP
- Triamped 3 way active cross over high end speakers L+R
- sub right + sub left

this is close to coming DSPEAKER Antimode X4, BUT in such way that you have all the connectivity for active 3 Way speakers and 2 active subs instead of just 2 way + subs

Great !

Just concerned that is there typo error in text area on first page for " 1 analog XLR input " ?

2 analog XLR input are a must and good AD conversion !

- Could it be possible to have external high end clock sync input connector ? like for Mutec or similar ext clock unit ?

Keep up the good work To make the paradime shift happen !

This project sounds great answer to such use case where I want to optimize
- 2 channel analog input
- have connectivity to hometheater HT by pass for L+R
- DSP
- Triamped 3 way active cross over high end speakers L+R
- sub right + sub left

this is close to coming DSPEAKER Antimode X4, BUT in such way that you have all the connectivity for active 3 Way speakers and 2 active subs instead of just 2 way + subs

Great !

Just concerned that is there typo error in text area on first page for " 1 analog XLR input " ?

2 analog XLR input are a must and good AD conversion !

- Could it be possible to have external high end clock sync input connector ? like for Mutec or similar ext clock unit ?

Keep up the good work To make the paradime shift happen !

It's for one stereo pair of XLR connectors ;)

cheers

Hi,

Initially it will be made available in small numbers with a lead time of at least a few weeks after ordering. This is because the through-hole components have to be assembled by hand and the board tested along the way before the DAC is installed as this is one of the most expensive parts and still only available in sample quantities.

The news is that the board is a significant upgrade to the original spec and because of that it is more expensive than originally planned. But I did say that I was not trying to compete on price with the cheaper offerings. That space is starting to get over crowded so if you are trying to chase down the cheapest price then you should look elsewhere. However, if your priority is performance rather than price then this board should be of interest to you as in the original objectives I am aiming for true hi-end performance at a reasonable price.

To offset the price increase some of the ancillary boards which are through-hole will be offered as bare pcbs at a relatively small cost so considerable savings can be made if you assemble them yourself.

Also there are some updates on my facebook page.

Regards
David

Last edited:
Thanks David. I understand. Hope you are able to find a balance between margin and volume which is well rewarding for your efforts and also makes this nice system accessible to folks.

Few more questions if you dont mind

1. Are the flat cables carrying balanced analog out to the output board? Are there connectors to directly hookup balanced mogami cables to chassis XLRs?
2. How is the software and interface coming along.
3. Do you have an idea of when availability and pricing can be provided?
4. Would you in future consider providing a multichannel DAC only board based on that nice DAC+IV layout?

1. Are the flat cables carrying balanced analog out to the output board? Are there connectors to directly hookup balanced mogami cables to chassis XLRs?

Both balanced and unbalanced are provided on the 26 way ribbon cable. The balanced output is unbuffered with a 4K output impedance. The balanced output board buffers this and provides an output impedance of 300 ohms. The XLR connectors are directly mounted on the output board for minimal interconnect length. There is a breakout board in the works to directly connect to power amps without needing the output boards. As most people have indicated to me that they are going to supply their own amp modules this was the best solution provided the balanced output shielded cables are no more than 2ft in length.

Very well. Just had to exorcise some gremlins recently otherwise good to go ;)

4. Would you in future consider providing a multichannel DAC only board based on that nice DAC+IV layout?

I will PM you.

regards
David

Both balanced and unbalanced are provided on the 26 way ribbon cable. The balanced output is unbuffered with a 4K output impedance. The balanced output board buffers this and provides an output impedance of 300 ohms. The XLR connectors are directly mounted on the output board for minimal interconnect length. There is a breakout board in the works to directly connect to power amps without needing the output boards. As most people have indicated to me that they are going to supply their own amp modules this was the best solution provided the balanced output shielded cables are no more than 2ft in length.

Very well. Just had to exorcise some gremlins recently otherwise good to go ;)

I will PM you.

regards
David

Thanks

Hi Guys;
I will leave this thread as fast as I have entered, so pardon me for Intruding. I am in way over my head. I wound up here as a result of a search for a steep roll off (greater than 24 db/octave) crossover.
I stumbled upon the miniDSP 4x10 HD, thinking this may be the ultimate answer for my very large 3 way, 2 channel system.
I am not up to constructing something from scratch. This unit seems to be able to take a digital signal from a CD or DVD player, (and laptop source?) eliminate my equalizer and crossover units.
I have not found detailed specs regarding this unit, but I sense that it is not warmly received by all here. I did see that it could somehow use REW to equalize and otherwise adjust the system.
Pardon my ignorance in this area, but if this is not the ideal unit, could you point me in the right direction,
Thanks Peter
PS: My old Rane AC 23 crossover has caused me more than enough grief. Just thought now is the time to join the 21 century!

Attachments

• my system 1.jpg
    my system 1.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 481
Peter,
There is nothing wrong with the mini-dsp for your crossover needs. It may have some limitations for other uses but should work fine for a simple xo network. As with everything there are always going to be something new with more bells and whistles but I always go with the keep it simple stupid thinking and you mostly win with that thinking.

Thanks Steven;
I am a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle, just a little surprised that this solution is following that guideline! My initial concern was over driving my mid-range line arrays with too much LF at high levels. My hunt started with the search for a crossover with a greater than 24 db/ octave slope.
With the marvels of technology, do you think the slope would be adjustable in the miniDSP 4x10 HD? Is there a more detailed spec sheet or (Yikes!) operating manual available?
Thanks again all, Peter

I think the minidsp can do all you want. My biggest issue with minidsp is that they don't place a volume display on their units, and don't document their interface to do it yourself. Some people have worked around it, but that requires a microprocessor and some knowledge of electronics. Also, i think they place their volume control pre-dac. Some people say it doesn't matter in practice, but i think it makes more sense to either do it in-dac or post-dac (post dac should lower noise at low SPLs).

Hello everyone. I have updated the information at the start of the thread and on my website at Analog-Precision

If you want a DSP system with a canned user interface that can't really be customized then go with minidsp. If you want cheap 1 dollar DAC's and cheap 50 cent oscillators then go with minidsp. I used a 60 dollar DAC and low phase jitter clocks and so do many hi-end manufacturers ;)

cheers

Last edited: