• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

Notice to Buffalo 3 users:

The Buffalo 3 requires 8 channel input, so you need to provide either 4x I2S, or 8x DSD lines.

The BBB is capable to generate data on 4 lines, thus for DSD channel remapping has to be used. Otherwise some internal DACs of ES9018 will generate just silence.

So in general BBB needs to play 8 channel PCM audio to have same volume as stereo SPDIF data input.

With ES9018 channel remaping you can decrease number of needed channels to 4.

The data channels resistor area on Cronus can help with that too. Omiting some resistors and using wires on the side close to the DAC, there is possible to interconnect some channels of BBB together and not tie outputs of IC4 at the same time.

Notice to Buffalo 3 users:

The Buffalo 3 requires 8 channel input, so you need to provide either 4x I2S, or 8x DSD lines.

The BBB is capable to generate data on 4 lines, thus for DSD channel remapping has to be used. Otherwise some internal DACs of ES9018 will generate just silence.

So in general BBB needs to play 8 channel PCM audio to have same volume as stereo SPDIF data input.

With ES9018 channel remaping you can decrease number of needed channels to 4.

The data channels resistor area on Cronus can help with that too. Omiting some resistors and using wires on the side close to the DAC, there is possible to interconnect some channels of BBB together and not tie outputs of IC4 at the same time.

Yes great point! This is precisely why we don't mount resistors - because if you parallel channels on the B3 for (to make it run in stereo remapped mode - B3SE style) you will only want to mount the output resistors that go to BCK, D1, and D2

Here are the dimensions for the Hermes-BBB. I hope it helps with planning.

Attachments

• dimensions.jpg
    dimensions.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 677
So is anybody making music through the hermes Cronus yet? :) I am anxious to hear.

Hi Russ,

First of all, I'd like to thank you and your team for this great work.

The boards were delivered last night. Today I assembled the boards with 45/49 Rhea. Soldering went quite smooth but I made a small mistake to solder the Cronus header to the wrong place, intending to preserve the space for handling uFl.

After several attempts with no sound, I became aware that I was wrong with choosing holes. Leaving the already soldered header as it is, I added other header pins to the original (default) holes and succeeded in getting sound.

Playing DSD128 and PCM on B3SE via teleporter and these board is quite smooth but I'm going to check the details in the weekend. Included is the picture of my rough setup. My next step will be to find a new box for my B3SE and Hermes-Cronus with BBB.

BTW, I'm still using software clock divider by miero instead of H/W divider on the board. If I'm going to use the latter, I think that there is no necessity to edit kernel option for clock rate setting. Correct?

Best Regards,

Attachments

• myboards.jpg
    myboards.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 667
Hi Russ,

First of all, I'd like to thank you and your team for this great work.

The boards were delivered last night. Today I assembled the boards with 45/49 Rhea. Soldering went quite smooth but I made a small mistake to solder the Cronus header to the wrong place, intending to preserve the space for handling uFl.

After several attempts with no sound, I became aware that I was wrong with choosing holes. Leaving the already soldered header as it is, I added other header pins to the original (default) holes and succeeded in getting sound.

Playing DSD128 and PCM on B3SE via teleporter and these board is quite smooth but I'm going to check the details in the weekend. Included is the picture of my rough setup. My next step will be to find a new box for my B3SE and Hermes-Cronus with BBB.

BTW, I'm still using software clock divider by miero instead of H/W divider on the board. If I'm going to use the latter, I think that there is no necessity to edit kernel option for clock rate setting. Correct?

Best Regards,

Congrets on first sound :) I'm still awaiting delivery...any day now